FW18 "Unchained" EVH

Constructive for the purpose of representing the Axe FX in the best light possible maybe? Cooper is a demonstrator for G66 is he not? He posted a tone which to my ears (and clearly some others here) lacks clarity, dynamics and probably has too much wet to dry ratio to be a 'great' tone. It's not just the converted Axe FX owners that frequent this forum, there are many here who browse this forum while trying to make up their mind on whether to spend their cash on an AFX.

He also took the time to put a flanger on it even a pitch block to shift it down a half step to achieve the Eb tuning Van Halen is known for. So to say he wasn't trying to achieve a similar tone to Eddie doesn't ring true to me.

Sheesh, I'd forgotten how touchy musicians can be sometimes, LOL.

That's only valid as it relates to the tone though. Weren't people criticizing the way he played it? That has nothing to do with "representing the Axe FX in the best light possible"

here's my take on this song. i played it perfectly like the original and the tone is exact too.

i threw in some pro tapping at the end as well.

I was laughing so hard my wife was asking if I need oxygen. I have tears in my eyes and pulled a rib muscle. I needed that Chris :)

Seriously, we should practice "If you do not have something nice to say, say nothing!" unless requested. Nice going Cooper!

This was me dialing in a huge, heavy tone and playing a huge, heavy riff with a huge, heavy firmware update.

Yeah I get it dude.....it's just that I don't think the tone is anything special to show off the upcoming firmware, that's all. You're not always gonna get a pat on the back from everyone......it's called life & it keeps things honest.

In your field you have to endure the criticism of your colleagues and those you work for. How much would you enjoy the individual scrutiny of a peanut gallery forum such as this! Bet you wouldn't show us some of your animation so we can critique the living shit out of it, please.

Well as it happens I regularly post my work online on animation forums and have it ripped apart by everyone from pros to students to people who know nothing about animation. And I take that in my stride, it's part of how I learn. I don't get defensive about it and I don't post sweary responses which I later edit to remove the curse words :)

Yeah I get it dude.....it's just that I don't think the tone is anything special to show off the upcoming firmware, that's all. You're not always gonna get a pat on the back from everyone......it's called life & it keeps things honest.

Yes, this exactly.

Well as it happens I regularly post my work online on animation forums and have it ripped apart by everyone from pros to students to people who know nothing about animation.

what do you say to someone who says "that looks nothing like looney tunes, you missed the mark" or similar? that's closer to what happened here than posting just any type of animation.

what do you say to someone who says "that looks nothing like looney tunes, you missed the mark" or similar? that's closer to what happened here than posting just any type of animation.

It depends on what my intent was, if I was going for that classic cartoony style and someone says that then I know I missed the mark and try to figure out how to do it better. If I was going for a different style then I say that. I don't accuse the people who said it of being Looney Tunes purists or fanboys though. It's not an exact 1:1 comparison of course as they are completely different art forms, but if I did an animation with a character that looked just like Wile E Coyote and people made those comparisons to Looney Tunes I could hardly blame them. Same thing if I played a classic riff by a famous guitar player..

Guys, let's all take a deep breath here.

I wasn't offended in the slightest by any of the criticisms here.

The tone is a tone I like. Some guys don't like it. Big deal.

The riff is a riff I like. It's not a tone match. If it'll chill everyone out, I'm play some chug chugs and repost and maybe we'll all enjoy the tone more. Whatever.

There's *zero* need to get personal.

Let's all play some guitar!

Guys, let's all take a deep breath here.

I wasn't offended in the slightest by any of the criticisms here.

The tone is a tone I like. Some guys don't like it. Big deal.

The riff is a riff I like. It's not a tone match. If it'll chill everyone out, I'm play some chug chugs and repost and maybe we'll all enjoy the tone more. Whatever.

There's *zero* need to get personal.

Let's all play some guitar!

Could you maybe revisit "Brothers In Arms" with FW 18 then? It sounded so damn good with FW 10 or whatever it was, I'm curious to see how you make it breathe now.

If you have a minute.

Maybe I shouldn't have even posted this. Honestly it wasn't supposed or intended to be a tone match or a copy of the original tone. It doesn't sound like the original and I didn't mean for it to.

It was me dialing in a huge, heavy, badass fucking tone and playing a huge, heavy, badass fucking riff with a huge, heavy, badass fucking firmware update.

Uh, until all the rest of these folks have earned the respect from Cliff that they too get to test beta versions of the future, then they can bag on your playing.;) Until then, as Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along?" :shock Just see it as a bunch of jealous musicians, I being one of them, who want EIGHTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol

I'm of a mind to think this thread has more of a James McAvoy-esque mission feel to it...

I was laughing so hard my wife was asking if I need oxygen. I have tears in my eyes and pulled a rib muscle. I needed that Chris :)

Seriously, we should practice "If you do not have something nice to say, say nothing!" unless requested. Nice going Cooper!

Great Weezer impersonation!

My stance on this is precisely my stance on Digital vs Tube vs Solid State. I don't give a flying f*ck how accurate it is so long as it sounds great. This sounds great. Thanks for posting it, Cooper!

I think it had a good beat and I could dance to it....score 8.5

It was also nice to listen with the looper while going poo-pee...:pride:

I actually loved the tone, it was darker but Cooper said clearly it was not a TM, just him playing a heavy riff with a heavy tone. I loved it and from the sounds of it, Cooper is letting us know that dialing in such a heavy, saturated tone was quick and easy, that is what I want to hear. Thanks Cooper for sharing, and to those that thing people are saying the tone is great cuz they're fan boy's should know full well I am not one, if it sucks I have no issue saying so.

Hit the ground runnin', people.

EDIT: To the Van Halen purists, I was having a good time and thought you'd enjoy hearing some really heavy FW18.
This is NOT and was never meant as a tone match or a copy of the original tone. It doesn't sound like the original and I didn't mean for it to. I just dialed in this tone and said "hey this is heavy as hell and sounds like a more intense unchained tone" and hit record. I thought, "maybe the guys will enjoy this."

This was me dialing in a huge, heavy tone and playing a huge, heavy riff with a huge, heavy firmware update, not me doing a match.

Who knows, maybe I'll spend the time and do one and we can all rock out on the preset...

Nice job Cc

Back
Top Bottom