FW18 "Unchained" EVH

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying: I respect you and your efforts but I don't care much for this. If everyone just says "so awesome" just because we all appreciate Cooper and it's a FW18 clip, I don't see how Fractal will ever get realistic feedback.
People are saying "so awesome" because it is a really cool tone and we understood from the start that his intent wasn't to recreate Van Halen.

Coop, you just shouldn't have recorded this in Dublin, then it woulda passed the VH scrutiny test-

Who cares about Eddie´s original tone? The tone he has lost with his Peavy Amps.... I think he would be happy to have all the great VH-Tones from this Forum.......

Cooper - I think, you didn´t use a Modern Strat with like Eddie......so don´t care, it´s a really fat Sound with clear bass frequencies......whatever you play.......all the best for FW 18!!!

Wow...tough crowd... :shock

If Cooper and iarsee can't get any love around here, what chance to the rest of us have?? :lol

BTW, guys, thought the clips sounded great! :)

Thanks for posting the sneak peaks, I liked the clip.

Actually, I wonder what Cooper's tone would sound like at gig volume?

My "gig" settings tone is darker at lower volumes (~ 90-95dB). Where as the presets I use to practice (~ 60-70dB) sound piercing and thin at loud volumes.

Maybe it's just my PA, but I'm pretty sure my Bose Tower is a flat response output, but as the sound gets louder, the treble and presence is more defined.

It's true. I didn't play it correctly at all vis a vis the album, but to be honest, I'll admit I haven't listened to the song in probably a year. I just dialed in this tone and said "hey this sounds like a more intense unchained tone" and hit record. When I sent this to the beta team, I disclaimed it as such. Also, the timing is a bit off here and there because I'm playing with the pitch block a half step down, and it's always interesting staying in time with the latency.

Did the pitch block change for down tuning in FW18? I think your clip sounds great for a pitch block down tuned sound. I haven't had much success in doing that and have been hoping for some FW love to go to that functionality.

cooper, you played this so wrong and Damage Control by John Petrucci was NEVER in the original version of Unchained by Van Halen. in fact, it couldn't have been because Damage Control was written like it 2000 something, and Van Halen wrote their song in like, 1950 or something, so there's no way. you totally got that part wrong man. totally.

oh and the treble knob was on like 5.67 when we all know it's supposed to be at 9.46. i mean, anyone who knows Van Halen knows that. and it's important. of course.

cooper, you played this so wrong and Damage Control by John Petrucci was NEVER in the original version of Unchained by Van Halen. in fact, it couldn't have been because Damage Control was written like it 2000 something, and Van Halen wrote their song in like, 1950 or something, so there's no way. you totally got that part wrong man. totally.

oh and the treble knob was on like 5.67 when we all know it's supposed to be at 9.46. i mean, anyone who knows Van Halen knows that. and it's important. of course.

I see what you did there...8)..unfortunately, most of the planet wont get it...:grey:

EDIT: To the Van Halen purists who have taken huge issue with this clip, relaaaxxxx :) I was having a good time and thought you'd enjoy hearing some really heavy FW18.

Boy, was I wrong.

Dude, no one said you're not a great player here and all of the crits here read as constructive to me. 'Huge issue'? Really? I'm just not seeing that at all.

Being a professional is not just about mastering your chosen discipline, it's also about accepting criticism with grace and humility. That's how we grow and learn. In the field I work (animation) if I can't take criticism I can't work as it's a huge part of the job. I can't imagine it's any different in music.

From your photo/videos you seem like you are pretty young so you have time to learn this. Simply put - ego can get in the way of progress. I'm pretty sure Yoda said something along those lines :)

all of the crits here read as constructive to me.

constructive for what purpose though? who asked for anything to be "constructed"?

as soon as someone plays a metallica song, or van halen, or journey, or hendrix, etc, the tone is immediately judged as if the intent was to copy the original guitar tone exactly. but that isn't always the intention. i think people get way too picky on this forum, mostly because we have the tools to copy tones almost exactly. and if it isn't close, well then that guy obviously doesn't know how to do it and needs some constructive criticism to get him closer.

then there's playing "exactly" like the original as well. if it's not close, maybe they aren't trying to play it exactly right. but did you know what song it is? i bet you did.

reactions like some in this thread and criticism, when none was asked for, is what keeps people from sharing their ideas and sounds because they fear the judgement definitely heading their way.

if anyone posts a clip and says "hey i got this as close to VH tone as possible and i play it exactly right," then yeah, let him know why you might think it's not close.

but if someone says "hey check out this idea i had" and doesn't mention tone, maybe the point was to share some music, not some technicality.

we use the axe to enjoy music, right?

Last edited:
constructive for what purpose though?

Constructive for the purpose of representing the Axe FX in the best light possible maybe? Cooper is a demonstrator for G66 is he not? He posted a tone which to my ears (and clearly some others here) lacks clarity, dynamics and probably has too much wet to dry ratio to be a 'great' tone. It's not just the converted Axe FX owners that frequent this forum, there are many here who browse this forum while trying to make up their mind on whether to spend their cash on an AFX.

He also took the time to put a flanger on it even a pitch block to shift it down a half step to achieve the Eb tuning Van Halen is known for. So to say he wasn't trying to achieve a similar tone to Eddie doesn't ring true to me.

Sheesh, I'd forgotten how touchy musicians can be sometimes, LOL.

In the field I work (animation) if I can't take criticism I can't work as it's a huge part of the job. I can't imagine it's any different in music.

In your field you have to endure the criticism of your colleagues and those you work for. How much would you enjoy the individual scrutiny of a peanut gallery forum such as this! Bet you wouldn't show us some of your animation so we can critique the living shit out of it, please.

Oh and in my experience in the military and defense, the first guy to start spouting off about 'professionaism' is invariably the one who knows the absolute least about professionalism.

Back
Top Bottom