FW18 Dirty Shirley + Cab pack 8 noodling

I dont say that your IR's are bad.
Just that I dont like them (I prefer Ownhammer or TAF IR's for my gear and playing).

A bit to dark and flat sounding but I will try them tonight in a band context.
I have captured some IR few months ago, not Ultra RES though and it was for my pleasure (not making money).

Sure and obviously I don't assume everyone to go crazy over my IRs since we all have different ears and tastes. Just wanted to know what it was about them that made you feel that way since I haven't heard a bad word said about them.

Other TV IRs are definitely a lot darker than Cab Pack 8 (check: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/96370-cab-pack-8-stock-tv-irs.html) so I don't really understand what you mean with that. The philosophy behind my IRs is to create clean captures without color coming from post processing, power amps or preamps etc. The only magic behind my IRs besides the cleanest capture is mic position. No magic tricks needed. Personally I feel like EQing and using multiple mics on an IR and then calling them single mic IRs etc. is not the way to go. But that's once again just my opinion and I only have two ears just like everyone else. :)

Thank you for giving them a shot anyways and I hope you're happy with what ever IRs you choose for your sound. :)

I know that the Dirty Shirley video is with an other guitar, player, cab...
But it sounds huge and organic, lots of "life" in the sound.
Sean's sound is really good too but a little bit more flat and not so juicy (that's not the playing, just sound)
I really like my Axe FX XL but I still prefer my real amps+real cabs.

I've been a pain in the ass for FAS about the Recto amp sims for over 5 years. Until FW18. I was able to make the amp sim sound as close as a tone match with just tweaking the amp parameters. Obviously I assume that there will be a FW19 that has something new once again but TBH I'm afraid to update if I lose the sound I have right now. I can honestly say that I've been thinking about getting a Mesa Roadking just so I have a real amp to play through also and I've been saving for it. Along came FW18 and killed my GAS for real amps. And I know people say this after every firmware update... I have never said this before. My point is that I'd be scared shitless to point a difference between the G3 amp sim and real amp with vague adjectives without a comparable clip when we know Cliff is reading this thread. :lol You know.. he actually has that amp and is capable of comparing them side by side which he has done. But once again you might be right. :)

My point is that I'd be scared shitless to point a difference between the G3 amp sim and real amp with vague adjectives without a comparable clip when we know Cliff is reading this thread. :lol You know.. he actually has that amp and is capable of comparing them side by side which he has done. But once again you might be right. :)

I have Friedman, Bogner, Two rock amps at home with a lot of cabs.
I can compare them too and I'm not an amp or axe fx seller ;)

I still prefer real microphone+cab solution.
That's not saying that AxeFX +IR's is bad sounding (I'm playing one with my band in live gigs).
Axe FX can do a lot more than just one amp+cab so it's a great solution too.

If you have found the sound you are looking that's perfect, we have all different tastes and needs.

Ok i'll playing now ;)

Very nice playing!

But I dont like cab pack 8...
And we are still far from this real amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWMoMGM8hw

I like FW18 but sounds nothing like a real Dirty shirley...

I'd say it's more like.. nothing sounds like Lance Keltner. Everything he touches sounds like GOLD. Seriously. Some kind of dark magic tone voodoo with that guy.

Not the Sean doesn't also sound great, but as said, different guitars.. different player. Etc.

Thanks guys!

@Tonic I dont really know how the dirty shirley is, so I didn't dial it in in any way. I think it sounds good though, wether its close to the amp or not, its a fun tone that inspired me to play differently. Very dynamic. I too use an amp/cab most of the time, but I've stopped comparing the two (analog vs digital) as they both sound great and to me are separate tools.

Thanks guys!

@Tonic I dont really know how the dirty shirley is, so I didn't dial it in in any way. I think it sounds good though, wether its close to the amp or not, its a fun tone that inspired me to play differently. Very dynamic. I too use an amp/cab most of the time, but I've stopped comparing the two (analog vs digital) as they both sound great and to me are separate tools.

Your playing is really great and it sounds great too.
I m not only comparing amps but more mic+cab vs IR'S
I m still missing something with IR s
I really like my XL guys :)
It can do so many things, in my band it works perfectly.

So I m agree with your words :)

Back
Top Bottom