FW18 Dirty Shirley + Cab pack 8 noodling

Sean Ashe

Power User

Just a bit of sloppy noodling on Preset 60, but with the Cab Pack 8 TV SM57-R121 B01 IR. All changes in gain or tone are just volume knob or pickup selector on one of my Tom Anderson Angels (this has a Koa top, basswood body, maple neck).

Tried to keep it short and sweet. Really impressed with the feel and dynamics of FW18.

I hate you Sean (goes to buy Cab Pack 8)....:) - Mike (RR)

haha!

It's kind of funny, I just randomly selected and IR and then went "oh, sweet" and then just played. I'm liking that as the Axe FX gets updated, and better IRs are being made, its more about just plug and play than tweeaking to get tone. I'm a big fan of clarks other cab pack (the mesa one) too.

It's clips like these that really speak for themselves. No one needs to even say they're impressed since it's a given. Thank you so much for the clip Sean. :) I'm a lucky guy to have talented people like you use my work to create beautiful music.

Very nice playing!

But I dont like cab pack 8...
And we are still far from this real amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWMoMGM8hw

I like FW18 but sounds nothing like a real Dirty shirley...

I'm not sure if you're serious or trolling. :lol

To me that YouTube video sounded pretty much identical to Sean's clip amp-wise although Sean has more gain. It's played with a modern guitar instead of a Strat etc. and it's going through a different cab and that's the difference I do hear.

Could you PM me some feedback on Cab Pack 8? I haven't received any bad feedback yet for either of my Cab Packs so I'd love to get yours since I know you've created IRs also.

Very nice playing!

But I dont like cab pack 8...
And we are still far from this real amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWMoMGM8hw

I like FW18 but sounds nothing like a real Dirty shirley...

I've seen that YouTube vid many times, I loves me some Lance Keltner ....

However, since he plays w/ his fingers ( or slide ) 99% of the time .... He's got an extremely unique voice w/ any guitar/amp combination I've heard him play through.

My point is, that if that's your opinion of the definitive Dirty Shirley, you're never gonna get there until you attack the guitar the exact same way that Lance does ....

Personally, I like Sean's tone so much better it isn't even a contest .... But ( obviously ) that's just me .... Plus I probably play closer to how Sean does, than how Lance does. So, I can get pretty close to replicating Sean's tone ....

At the same time, I'm pretty much lost without a pick, and I can't play slide .... So, I have almost NO chance to sound anything like Lance ....

I'm not sure if you're serious or trolling. :lol

To me that YouTube video sounded pretty much identical to Sean's clip amp-wise although Sean has more gain. It's played with a modern guitar instead of a Strat etc. and it's going through a different cab and that's the difference I do hear.

Could you PM me some feedback on Cab Pack 8? I haven't received any bad feedback yet for either of my Cab Packs so I'd love to get yours since I know you've created IRs also.

I dont say that your IR's are bad.
Just that I dont like them (I prefer Ownhammer or TAF IR's for my gear and playing).

A bit to dark and flat sounding but I will try them tonight in a band context.
I have captured some IR few months ago, not Ultra RES though and it was for my pleasure (not making money).

I know that the Dirty Shirley video is with an other guitar, player, cab...
But it sounds huge and organic, lots of "life" in the sound.
Sean's sound is really good too but a little bit more flat and not so juicy (that's not the playing, just sound)
I really like my Axe FX XL but I still prefer my real amps+real cabs.

Back
Top Bottom