FW18 - AC30

lol, yeah not the best huh.

Can you post some of your lead vocals or just the name of some your platinum records? I want to see how it really should be done :)

Funny, I was going to reply that all the live clips of Coverdale with DP I have ever heard he sounded horrendous. :(

I think he is a great singer but I've not heard a good live recording with him in DP.

I didn't start listening to them really until later on (Perfect Strangers), but for me Gillain is really the only singer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the OP - Looks like not quite yet based on the absence of Beta responses here. This will be a great amp to hear honed by GGG

Funny, I was going to reply that all the live clips of Coverdale with DP I have ever heard he sounded horrendous. :(

I think he is a great singer but I've not heard a good live recording with him in DP.

I didn't start listening to them really until later on (Perfect Strangers), but for me Gillain is really the only singer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Gillian too :)

I think the "Live At Monterey" DVD is a good show by Coverdale.

It certainly has been given the G3 treatment. I don't use this amp a lot but here you go....

It's AC30 into Ownhammer v30 V3 IR (random one as I've literally just finishing downloading them) bit of delay and bit of verb. Kick in the Treble Boost after a while and then knock the bass up a little towards the end...

I'm no expert with this amp so go easy :)

Oh yeah and the guitar is a slightly out of tune Les Paul.....

Treble boosters in Voxes are generally used with the Normal channel, which is basically just half a 12AX7 and no tone controls - a dull sounding channel.

Wouldn't think they would be used to much with a Top Boost channel (another gain stage, cathode follower & tone controls).

+1. And a Treble booster?

I think a bit of a brush up on what he actually used and what people think he used is in order.
Nearly every rock player who ever used an AC30 in the 70's used a treble booster. Rory Gallagher, Blackmore, Brian May....... etc....... etc

Last edited:
I think a bit of a brush on what he actually used and what people think he used is in order.
Nearly every rock player who ever used an AC30 in the 70's used a treble booster. Rory Gallagher, Blackmore, Brian May....... etc....... etc

They really worked well for me. But for me they require using the gtr vol and gtr tone controls with vintage / low output pickups wired "50's style". In that config the treble booster is really a pretty cool piece of kit.

In FW17.04, I used the Fractal Treble Booster in just such a setup with Concert brown fender amp sim. Wonderful to play.

They really worked well for me. But for me they require using the gtr vol and gtr tone controls with vintage / low output pickups wired "50's style". In that config the treble booster is really a pretty cool piece of kit.

In FW17.04, I used the Fractal Treble Booster in just such a setup with Concert brown fender amp sim. Wonderful to play.

Yes, the booster was an integral part of Ritchie's sound. He later replaced them with the Aiwa reel to reel preamp acting as a booster and the rewired tape machine working as his delay. This was his rig round about 'live on stage'.
There are lots of stories about the mysterious combo in a marshall 4x12 cab that was part of his rig. It is said to be an AC30 and that the Marshall Majors were only uses as power amps. There are supposed to be gigs without that too.
Only Ritchie, Martin Birch and his tech know exactly what it all was for sure.
Going off my own ears on the Classic Albums program about Machine Head, when Martin Birch solos the guitar, it sounds just like an AC30. There are even photos from the session where there is an AC30 where Ritchie is playing. There are also pics of Marshall amps too but these are supposed to be for Roger and Jon.

Last edited:
Couple of great BBC videos on the history of the AC30;

Thanks for posting the clips. I have the history of VOX written by Dick Denning. He didn't mention the big argument when he first developed the AC30 but as Bruce Welch points out, the Shadows wanted something more from the AC15 which initially used the EF86 preamp value. Higher out compared to the AX7 but subject to microphonics when the amp was turned up. So the first AC30 didn't need the top boost but had problems so a redesign using AX7's was made but they proved to be too dull for the Shadows and Dick added a piggy back Treble circuit to the exterior of the cab and so was born the AC30TB. In 1964, the Top Boost channel became standard.

For FW18.0, I'm want to hear the AC30TB used with TAF Clean Mix UR IR being played by a Strat (single coils Pups) with a range of drives. We should hear the clean to glassy saturation and eventually full distortion with the low end having thump and the top never squealing.

Thanks to the Beta testers for their work.

It certainly has been given the G3 treatment. I don't use this amp a lot but here you go....

Thanks very much for taking the time to make that clip! It sounds fantastic!

Is there a chance, if you have time, that you could demo it with a Strat (assuming you have one) and go from clean, to just breaking up, both in the bridge and bridge/middle position?

May as well cut to the chase...wondering how Mr. Edge's guitars will sound on the upcoming tour, which is looking more and more like it's going to be mainly, if not all, Axe-Fx II/XL.

Thanks again!!! :)

Tony

It's AC30 into Ownhammer v30 V3 IR (random one as I've literally just finishing downloading them) bit of delay and bit of verb. Kick in the Treble Boost after a while and then knock the bass up a little towards the end...

I'm no expert with this amp so go easy :)

Oh yeah and the guitar is a slightly out of tune Les Paul.....

Sounds good to me!!

Back
Top Bottom