Fw17.04 - Deththeme cover

Horganovski

Experienced
Can't always be playing that mellow blues stuff.. :)

A quick jam of the main guitar part in the theme of my favorite animated TV show about a fictional death metal band, Metalocalypse. I'm using an Axe FX II XL (firmware 17.04), with the Recto Modern amp model with a mid 80's Japanese Fender Strat with Seymour Duncan active pickups (SSH). The guitar is tuned to C standard (down 2 steps from standard tuning) and has chunky strings to accommodate that.
The trem picking part is a great exercise for the right hand (well it is for me anyway as I'm usually more of a legato guy :) )

Definitely a Toki, I'm a pentatonic blues guy much more than a technical shredder :)

I'm working on that though, trying to push my playing into new areas recently and focusing a lot on my right hand technique (typically I'm much more of a legato player). I'm woodshedding a lot of pick rudiments which can be tedious sometimes but I notice when I'm soloing over something now there are new little things creeping into my playing (almost as if my right hand is saying 'hey I got this, let me try something here' :)) which is very satisfying.

I'm playing guitar for almost 30 years but for the last 10 or so I put guitar on the back burner for various reasons, RSI issues, burnt out from dealing with bands etc etc but now I have a new love for it again and it feels very fresh :)

The Axe FX is a big part of that, I got it last summer and it's been inspiring me to play a lot more ever since, best bit of gear I've ever bought.

Great to hear that you are back at it, and be careful with that RSI. Gotta keep them joints and ligaments healthy with proper nutrients. I'm just guessing that it was one of those things that ended up hurting.

I'm more like Pickles...the drummer...doodly doo!

Thanks! I did a combination of things to deal with the RSI, changing my computer use (I work as a CG animator so I spend a lot of time on that!) so that I work with a graphics tablet rather than a mouse. I also use a footswitch for some hotkeys that I use a lot which takes pressure off my left hand (also great in recording software as you can trigger start/rewind/undo/record without taking your hands off the guitar!).

I worked on posture too, I use a foot stool when practicing or teaching guitar so that I sit up a little straighter and hunch less.

I also started eating a lot of bananas (apparently Yngwie swears by them!) and I changed down to lighter gauge strings and really focused on playing with more finesse, less brute force! And last summer I bought a YJM strat and I set that up with really light strings, the cool thing about the scalloped neck on that is it pretty much forces you to use a light touch or you send notes sharp. It's almost as if that guitar tells you 'hey relax!' every time you pick it up. It's now the guitar I play the most, I love it.

After a while all of these small changes started adding up and now I can play longer (and faster!) than I have in years which is so rewarding :)

Back
Top Bottom