fw16 | DOKKEN | Under Lock And Key tone [w/patch]

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
hey guys! so I've been working on this for a looong time, maybe too long lol still not 100% where I want it to be, but I'm getting closer :) one of my favorite tones of all time, definitely not easy to recreate, here's what Michael Wagener himself wrote about the setup used by George on the U.L.A.K. session

"We had two Marshall heads and two Laney heads, not sure which models, but one of them was a Plexi. We had cabs in three different rooms: two cabs were placed in the big room at Amigo, one connected to a Marshall, the other connected to the Laney. The Marshall was responsible for the high end part of the sound and the Laney was set to take care of the low end. There were 14 (fourteen) mics set up in that room in various positions around the cabinet and some further away to get some room tone. The second Laney was sent into a very dead room and had a Boss chorus pedal in front of it, set to very slight chorus. The second Marshall was sent into a small, tiled bathroom, to add a different room tone. Those 16 mics came in on the MCI 500 console mic pres. They were bussed to one bus and that bus had a UREI 530 EQ on it (best guitar EQ ever). George mentioned that he always gets a great tone with his Fostex 4track recorder when it's in total overdrive, so I asked him to bring it in. So after the 530 everything was sent to the Fostex 4track, which lived under a packing blanket under the console, so nobody would see it. The Fostex was on stunn, completely overdriven and was sent on to the 3M 32 track dig machine from there."

I used the Brit Brown model on this patch, to my ears it's got the closest character for what I was going for, the cab is the usual OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern.syx, the guitar used is a Chapman ML1Hot Rod with a single Seymour Duncan 35th Anniversary JB and a Floyd Rose bridge

PATCH: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Lynch U.L.A.K. Tone - by RoccoPezzin

Absolute amazing - you sound just like one of my favorit guitarist - Rocco may i call you "George".....:encouragement:

Awesome Rocco. Feel like you're keeping me from realizing 30 years have gone by. Haha. Thanks for sharing the patch. Can't wait to give it a try.

Cheers,

Lee

Whoa! :D
That lead to 'Till The Livin' End KILLED!~ Thumbs up!

Great playin' and you are nailing his tone, thanks for sharing. :beaten:
:applouse:

I'm getting a track is not available error from soundcloud.

edit : soundcloud seems to be borked for me right now, couldn't get any tracks to play.

Last edited:
Hey Rocco
that's mighty close.
And I see that I'm not the only one stuck on Dokken.
For the past 2 years or so, I've been listening to absolutely nothing but Dokken's ULAK and BFTA albums in my car.
It's George's guitars and Don's melodies.
Brilliant job Rocco.
Shame I can't recreate it as I'm using a tube poweramp + cab.

Dude, you rule. I rarely have stellar results with other people's patches, I've even tried a few of yours before that just didn't translate well to my setup. It's reallly disappointing because everything you upload sounds phenomenal so I know it's not because your patches stink. Finally, this one sounds great on my rig! This should be a factory patch, no lie. I was working on Rick Graham's "penultimate arpeggio" lick and I just couldn't play it cleanly, I downloaded this patch and everything sounds so much better, note-clarity wise. Ok, enough gushing. Thanks so much man! :D

Back
Top Bottom