FW15b: Herbert ch3 prob

clarky

Axe-Master
just asking if anyone else is having agro with the Herbert ch3 in fw15.00b

I like to use this with a low drive setting [3.2] and turn on the Sat switch
when I do this I'm getting what sounds like a bit crusher set to 'nuts'

does anyone else have this effect of is it just me?

ahhh thanks guys…

I've got my tone back on that amp now..
instead of Sat, use the Boost switch instead..

I'll just have to go and make these changes to my presets with Diezels and I'll be a happy bunny again

I have that prob on the dizzy ch3. The Sat switch makes everything go bananas. I don't really use it so i don't mind. This new update really took my sound to another level.

I hope the Sat don't go nuts on all amps...

I've not tried it yet, but I've always been pretty fond of the JCM800 with the Boost, Cut, Brit and Sat switches all on
I know that there's no such amp.. but so what.. cool is cool..

totally....
and it's the thing that attracts me to some amp choices that I'd never have previously considered..

with some amps, I have found [in my own opinion of course] that having low drive settings with Sat and / or Boost on, sounds preferable to having them switched off with a very high drive setting..

I hope maybe some day Cliff decides to take a look at the Sat switch [with the amps that it no longer works with] and fix it up so that it becomes useful again.. even though on many amps it was never a 'realistic' feature, it didn't mean it was never a very cool or usable one..
and for some folk - in our quest for tone - this uniqueness is a highly desirable attribute..

I hope maybe some day Cliff decides to take a look at the Sat switch [with the amps that it no longer works with] and fix it up so that it becomes useful again.. even though on many amps it was never a 'realistic' feature, it didn't mean it was never a very cool or usable one..
and for some folk - in our quest for tone - this uniqueness is a highly desirable attribute..
it would certainly be interesting to hear why exactly it doesn't "work" with certain amps anymore, as it did before. in another post Cliff said that the Diezel doesn't have that circuit in real life and that's why it doesn't work. again, it didn't have the circuit before either but did work. and as far as I've understood the Sat switch, it's basically a Jose mod. would that mod not work with certain amps in real life either ?

it would certainly be interesting to hear why exactly it doesn't "work" with certain amps anymore, as it did before. in another post Cliff said that the Diezel doesn't have that circuit in real life and that's why it doesn't work. again, it didn't have the circuit before either but did work. and as far as I've understood the Sat switch, it's basically a Jose mod. would that mod not work with certain amps in real life either ?

In the real amps, the Jose mod would not make sense or not sound good depending on the tone stack and amp circuit.

My guess is the more accurate the tone stack and amp circuit are modeled in the AxeFx, the more the Saturation virtual mod will produce the sound it would in the real amp and not produce a good result in every amp type.

Loved the Diezels in FW14. Very interested to see how this plays out as well. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to make do with the 106 other amps :'(

In the real amps, the Jose mod would not make sense or not sound good depending on the tone stack and amp circuit.

My guess is the more accurate the tone stack and amp circuit are modeled in the AxeFx, the more the Saturation virtual mod will produce the sound it would in the real amp and not produce a good result in every amp type.
ahh, ok. that's what I wanted to know.

kinda makes sense I guess...
I guess from a product standpoint, it's not nice having a switch that makes something sound bad..
I reckon that offers two sensible possibilities..
- develop something with the Sat switch for those amp types that gives a rather nice / usable alternative 'grain' to the driven tone [which is what happened prior to 15.00b]
- bypass the switch [which has already been done with the Bright switch in some amps - the Herbert or VH4 iirc??] so that it does nothing at all [rather than sound like something is 'broke']

Wouldn't it make more sense for Cliff to just omit the SAT knob in that model altogether? That way, there's no room for confusion or mistakes.

If it is omitted, how are folks supposed to turn on SAT for a different tone stack? Every parameter can make your tone sound 'bad'. Just don't press the SAT button...

If it is omitted, how are folks supposed to turn on SAT for a different tone stack? Every parameter can make your tone sound 'bad'. Just don't press the SAT button...
exactly. you might as well take away the Bright switch while you're at it as it can sound a little off on some amp models. actually, I kinda like that the Sat switch makes certain amps sound broken. sometimes it's exactly those little accidents that make for a great tone...

Or it could just be a new bug because of the algorithm changes :) FAS usually fixes anomalies like this.

For example, in a previous firmware, there were some issues with the tone stack when the controls were maxed. The first advice was "don't max them out". But these got fixed pretty quickly.

I don't think that removing switches is such a great idea.. but then.. some amp types have the extra overdrive knob.. so I guess it's not impossible to sort out..

personally I think to have it do something nice or do nothing at all are more pragmatic possibilities..

So the Sat switch it tied to the tone stack then? If you swap to another tone stack type when you're using the Diezel sims, then the Sat switch will function normally?

Back
Top Bottom