FW15 has turned my EV Live X just awful...

iaresee

Administrator
...and I am a-okay with that!

It's been sounding STELLAR at home in cans and on the Tannoys, but rehearsal on Wednesday was less-than-fun as I found the Live X just doesn't work well as a straight-translation device from what I'm using at home to with the band. Much tweaking was done on the fly to make all my patches hang nice and even then you could tell it was pushing the Live X beyond where it was comfortable.

Not a big deal. This just accelerates my CLR purchase from "nice to have" to "dammit I need this now!".

I own EV Live X speakers (see my signature). Although I don't play out, I have not experienced what you have with FW15 and I play loud at home. Maybe it's your cans and home speakers throwing your patches off? I always heard they do not translate well from home to gig especially if two different amplification sources are used. Just a thought. Good luck with yours. I love mine. Always had the desire to try different ones (CLR, etc.) but really found no need to spend all the extra cash.

I've been doing this for...a long time now...and the difference between home and live has always been there, but it's never been THIS big of a difference. It's always easy to dial in too much low end at home, but FW 15.02's smoooooth lows and highs now make that an even easier mistake to make now. The unit can just dish these fantastic lows that, on good FRFR gear aren't a problem, but on the Live X get farty fast. Could be your patches aren't a bottom heavy as mine maybe?

But sssssshhhhhh man. You're ruining my excuse to buy that CLR. ;)

i SECOND RTcook; but also dont play live. In fact I have more bottom end than I could possibly need, and I turn off the full range switch and lower the global eq; try turning on or off that full range switch in back.

I use the full range switch. My patches are made for volume as well. With the 15" speakers, I have plenty of strong, not farty bass. I bought the 15's so I can play my bass as well. I mainly play 80's rock and some high gain newer stuff. I don't have a problem with low end at all. I don't use the EQ at all in my patches. I can get what I like pretty much from bass, mid and treble and presence. My Plexi and Mesa (with "V" EQ) patches sound great to my ears.

My elx112's are sounding just fine down here. Are you filtering anything down low at all? For my main high gain patch that I use when jamming I use the petrucci v30 mix with u87 mic, proximity is 3.4 and I have low cut set to 80hz. Goes loud as!

I've been doing this for...a long time now...and the difference between home and live has always been there, but it's never been THIS big of a difference. It's always easy to dial in too much low end at home, but FW 15.02's smoooooth lows and highs now make that an even easier mistake to make now. The unit can just dish these fantastic lows that, on good FRFR gear aren't a problem, but on the Live X get farty fast. Could be your patches aren't a bottom heavy as mine maybe?

But sssssshhhhhh man. You're ruining my excuse to buy that CLR. ;)

"That CLR" sounds like singular vocabulary, you know you need 2. ;)

Mark

I use the 12 inch live x and works great for me. I do find that I cut the switch on back to with sub so it cuts some bass out. It is a very bassy speaker having a wood cab, but I find with cutting the switch it comes close to what I hear from my Yamaha HS8 monitors.

It's been sounding STELLAR at home in cans and on the Tannoys...
Not a big deal. This just accelerates my CLR purchase from "nice to have" to "dammit I need this now!".

I am as big of a CLR fan as they come, but I have to say that they're not necessarily going to solve this problem for you. Patches that get tweaked in through cans or near fields usually don't translate to FRFR systems like the CLR without some tweaking. The opposite can sometimes be true, however. I've always found that there's two kinds of tones: recorded and live. The live tone can pay close homage to the recorded one for sure. But the two usually don't meet. What sounds great at lower volume or as a recorded tone through my near fields will often need less low end, more mids, less high end, and less gain in a live and loud situation.

By contrast, I can scroll through my patches on the Axe and pick out the ones by ear that I've optimized for live, loud use with the CLR. Through the near fields they'll sound a little dull, mid focused, and are lower gain.

2xELX112p here. I dial in a gig volume, low cut on. After 15.02 I noticed that my patches sounded dark. I haven't had time to re-dial the patches after updating, but we're off for the month of July, so I plan to spend time this coming week adjusting my patches.
Anybody interested in sharing EQ settings & patches with other ELX users?

Guys and gals, I do appreciate the treasure trove of "you're doing it wrong/shit doesn't translate" answers. Been at this a loooong time, I know what I'm doing and that it's me, not the speaker. This is just my excuse to buy a CLR. No accidental operator error here. :)

Like when my iPhone 3GS started to try and commit suicide after the 4S dropped...it's all mental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom