FW15 - Convinced there is something awry with the Dizzy models

Orvillain

Power User
The Dizzy models are sounding a bit odd. No, I don't have the saturation on. I deleted my old presets and am attempting to make it anew. I cannot get anywhere near what I had with 14. It just starts to fart out and sound dark, or sounds undergained.

Thoughts??

If you missed that whole discussion in the beta release thread the simple version is to turn the treble/presence and gain up (to taste) due to the change on the taper on the pots. Nothing has changed with the gain or tone stack other than the way the pots work now.

Andy - maybe try the old "T808 with no drive" trick prior to the amp block
or the Axe equivalent to this - Filter block, set 'null' / low cut 700 / hi cut 880

then you should be able to pile on the dirt a bit more without flubbing the lows and fizzing the highs so much..
this has really helped me find the mojo of amps I was never previously fond of

are you guys talking about the vh4 model only? I use the herbert solely and I would be in heaven if my dog didnt hit puberty the other day and is a pain in the butt all day long...;)
I use a ts808 mod with drive at 0 and tone at about 7, everythings much better in 15 than in 14 with the herb in my ears, started tweaking from scratch and I didnt have to touch a single advanced parameter!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i don't want to sound like a broken record, but play with the settings, don't be married to old values as they aren't pertinent anymore. thinking "i shouldn't have to put this on 7 when I only had to use it at 4 on the last fw" will doom you, since the tapers are different on some amps.

i don't know that this affects those models, but it goes back to using your ears, not your eyes.

I rolled back to FW14. Didn't like the changes to the tapers at all.

change in tapers just means instead of drive at 5, you'll put the drive at 8 or something like that (that's not exact at all, just an example).

cliff explained in full how there is NO change in tone, just the knob has to be in a different place.

the knob is a visual representation of a setting. use your ears to judge what the actual tone or effect is.

I think the Dizzys sound sick now. (in a good way:encouragement:).Most all amps in 15 are "juicier". Yah "juicy" is the best way I can describe it. When digging in it really feels spongy and dripping with honey in a way a dig a lot.

I rolled back to FW14. Didn't like the changes to the tapers at all.
If you knew what the tapers were, and what they are now, it would be a simple matter to calculate the new positions for a favorite patch that's been tweaked to perfection.
From there you could see what exactly is different after you dial in that perfect preset.
We just need a table of tapers for all the knobs for 14.xx and for 15b (that differ) and a formula...
Yek? :welcoming:

Taper is the curve that the potentiometer follows so it has no effect on the sound. Just what it sounds like at a given place on the knob from min to max value. Think audio vs linear pot on a guitar. This means your previous settings will be off from 14 to 15, thereby requiring you to dial it in by ear again.

If you knew what the tapers were, and what they are now, it would be a simple matter to calculate the new positions for a favorite patch that's been tweaked to perfection.
From there you could see what exactly is different after you dial in that perfect preset.
We just need a table of tapers for all the knobs for 14.xx and for 15b (that differ) and a formula...
Yek? :welcoming:
good luck with that

I found it difficult to dial in the sounds I had previously, plus the saturation button does not work well with the Dizzy's anymore.

I found it difficult to dial in the sounds I had previously, plus the saturation button does not work well with the Dizzy's anymore.

Cliff in another thread said the sat switch wont work with the diezels at all now.... big thread. Said it's not in the circuit in real life, must be for some reason.

I read that. I don't really think it's a good change. I don't care about accuracy, I care about good tones. The saturation at lower-gains sounds smoother in FW14 than FW15.

imho.

Just coz Cliff said it doesn't mean my opinion is automatically going to change ;)

agree sounded better in 14 Im getting closer; liked what sat. DID do regardless of what it DOESNT do now. It seemed like sick gain before, and now Im cranking everything plus a drive pedal, again getting close, oh well. Tonemiester, what cabs u using? I suppose I may need to switch cabs, if the amp changed so much.

Back
Top Bottom