FW14 "Dynamics" parameter removed, ideas?

jeppekristoffer

Power User
This is not suppose to be a crying thread!

I used this parameter extensively when "creating" tones that I liked. Never when using the "Stock factory amps"! They have been "good enough" for me for a long time.

For example:
Taking a very dynamic clean tone and compress it by increasing the "Dynamics" parameter to be able to get a louder "percieved" loudness and a more easy played tone. I liked this parameter better than a compressor.

Or

Taking a gainy tone and making it more dynamic by lowering the "Dynamics" parameter, making the tone to jump more out in your face!

I would like some ideas how to getting the "Dynamics" effect without this parameter.

I liked this parameter because it allowed me to use whatever parameter available to get the tone and then I could change the compression and keep a good feel and most important making a tone more dynamic!

Would a combination of using the Master Volume, Master Volume trim and Transmormer Match yield the same results or are there any other better ways to achieve my ideas?

Regards/Jesper

You are not alone, I have the same problem. Some of my goto amps don't work for me when dynamics is at noon. I don't have the time to search new amps, so I stay with FW13. Fw13 is complete as it is, so nothing to worry about. FW 13 would not run on a XL?

Some people liked it a lot... Idk how they feel nowadays of course...

- Per Boysen, 11/2013: The amp block's Dynamics controls are fantastic! You can dial in exactly the subtle feel of how the amp is to respond to string attack. I play a lot with two-handed tapping, where the velocity of the string being tapped down to the fret creates the energy to make it vibrate and this finger tapping attack causes a different kind of overtones than a picked or plucked string attack does. The dynamics controls allow us to sculpture those precious millisecs to perfection. Putting some time into this makes your guitars so much more playable and expressive! http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-reviews/77146-dynamics-pick-attack-shit.html
- Radley 5/2012: The Dynamics parameter in the Amp block is excellent for adding extra Oomph and attack to gainy solo sounds - I find it is most effective when the Sag parameter is 5 or below.

I never used this parameter, but I am feeling the same way I would feel if KISS removed the Peter Criss solo album from their album catalog. Somehow, it should be there, even if I have no plans of using it, and something is amiss, now that it is gone.

Ok.
Thanks for your responses so far but I don't manage to replicate the DYNAMICS parameter behaviour.

More ideas are very welcome.

Regards Jesper

Its a shame to see this parameter go. IMO it is one of the more useful advanced parameters. I would often use it with negative settings to increase the dynamics, and this worked well for a lot of amps. Personally I don't really care how realistic the models sound, but with this parameter I could make them sound 'better'.

Please put it back, cheers!

I obviously find the removal of the Dynamics parameter a big loss of a great tool to fine tune Amps to my liking.

I totally understand that this parameter is not needed for the Amps to stay "real" but as I have said before I'm more interested in using the Axe as a tool to make my own sounds/tones and then it doesn't matter that much if the Amps are 100% accurate or not because I'm going for tones/feel in my head so to speak.

Yes it would be great if Cliff could chime in and give us some ideas!

Its a shame to see this parameter go. IMO it is one of the more useful advanced parameters. I would often use it with negative settings to increase the dynamics, and this worked well for a lot of amps. Personally I don't really care how realistic the models sound, but with this parameter I could make them sound 'better'.

Please put it back, cheers!
This ^ made a lot of amps I would not normally use, "usable" ...and even perfect in some instances !

Is it just me that doesn't miss it at all? I genuinely don't need it to dial in high gain tones and my clean stuff isn't sparkly fender twang anyway. What is so uniques bout that parameter that you need it in the first place! FW14 is incredible, I don't miss FW13 at all!

It's just you ....and I'm not threating you with "big fingers":lol ... I have only had FW14 for about 2 hours, therefore I haven't assessed the impact on a lot of patches yet. But, there maybe a difference in the impact of the removal of this parameter between"high-gain" & "low-gain" users ..just saying ! .....I'll know soon (for my own needs)

Last edited:
Hopeful question to Cliff!

When the Dynamics parameter was turned counter clock wise I believe it acted as an Expander?

If this is correct, then the Dynamics parameter was a combined Expander/Compressor inside the Amp block.

Could you(Cliff) give us some hints for setting these effects up using the Gate/Expander block for replicating the Dynamics knob turned counter clock wise and using the Compressor block for turning the Dynamics knob clock wise?

I saw a few mentions of the brightness control being used in its place, but my schedule has left me all of about 15min thus far to play with FW14, so IDK.

When the Dynamics parameter was turned counter clock wise I believe it acted as an Expander?

If this is correct, then the Dynamics parameter was a combined Expander/Compressor inside the Amp block.

Could you(Cliff) give us some hints for setting these effects up using the Gate/Expander block for replicating the Dynamics knob turned counter clock wise and using the Compressor block for turning the Dynamics knob clock wise?

Here's an old tutorial I made that might help but hopefully Cliff replies w/ an alternative to the Dynamics knob bc I agree that it helped make our own signature sounds.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...body-who-wants-more-dynamics-pick-attack.html

Back
Top Bottom