FW12 to FW19 Lonestar settings advise?

F.K.

Good day,

usually i use a Lonestar Lead in the amp block slot, i also play a 7-string. I strive for clarity and precision in particular for the lower strings. I achieved this mostly with the Dyn Presence and/or Dyn Depth settings in the PWR section. This was of course with FW12.

Today i updated to FW19 and as expected there is some work to do. Those setting don't exist 1:1 anymore like in FW12. It is way to muddy and there's barely any definition in the lower register. After some testing and suboptimal results i thought i should seek some advise from the Fractal Community.

Hopefully this is enough basic information to understand the issue at hand.

Thanks for reading and eventually for receiving feedback.

Best regards,
Florian

Have you tried starting from scratch? I have read a lot of posts where users are making a huge FW jump and most say to just start over. It is easier than trying to tweak your way through 7 different updates.

Many amps benefit from lowering the bass as the gain go up. You could also try a peq before the amp block and cut some mud with a high-pass filter, or use the cut parameter in the amp block.

what about the dynamic presence and dynamic depth on the amp basic page-both right to the right of the bright switch?

You might try some different amps. I remember one update that really affected an amp I used. I just couldn't get the same tone/feel back. So, I gave up and started going through different amps and there were 6 others on default settings I liked better. Now I don't sweat an update where amps are concerned. I'd be surprised if you can't find a few others that are very close to what you want. Another thing to consider is changing your IR. That can make a big difference.

Thanks for the input.

If i understand it correctly it's basically my fully cranked 'master' volume in the amp block. A G3 modeled amp (like lonestar) seems to drive quite heavy with dialed up master volume.

So i dialed the master volume down at more like 14oclock (loose a bit of sweetness) but this seems to have the most impact on the issue of getting rid of muddy lows.

I also tried a couple of different amps. The Fuchs ODS and Bludotone(not yet G3) sound quite pleasing to me. The Bludotone with full master doesn't water down the lows btw, i suppose the reason is the not yet applied G3 modeling.

Good day and thanks,
Florian

Back
Top Bottom