FW12.03 and EVH 5150

DTS

Experienced

This is a song in progress and i'm trying to learn, how to make a better metal mix. Guitars are quad tracked, Bass has two copies of the same track (clean and distorded). Lot of EQ and compression here and there. Some feedback about the mix would be nice. :)

Gear:
Axe FX II
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez BTB Bass

Sounds good on my Insignia computer monitors (for what it's worth). The snare may be a bit high in the mix.

Reactions: DTS
I like that type of mix where the bass is that audible. Guitars sound very nice, maybe not that bright but they sit nicely. I'd agree with jakel though that the snare (and imo the bass drum) is a bit too high, maybe back them off a couple of db's.

What type of IR's were you using if I may ask?

Listening on my Macbook Pro speakers so can't give any specific comments on the mix other than it sounds good. Love the riff too!

Thanks guys for comments!

efx:
Yeah! I like that "clank" sound, what the bass track brings when mixing this way. :) I'll try lowering the kick and snare a bit next time. I use the Messiah IR.

Its the best amp of the axe for me. Sounds good but I have to say that I dont like that all metal riffs or tests has their tune very down. I would like to hear something in D or E. Everything sounds BIG in D or less. But as I said, sound awesome!

I prefer the first clip more, The second mix is better to my ears but the mesa just doesn't sound as aggressive to me.

I'd like to hear the guitars in the first mix a little brighter though.

I made a new mix. This time with Dual rectifier sim and in drop D tuning, just to hear how it sounds this way. I also lowered the kick and snare a bit.

Much more to my liking. Maybe the first would be better, as others have said, if the guitars were brighter. It just has a darkness to it (the first one) that isn't to my taste. I love this one though. Great job!

Thanks guys!
I agree with you. I like the first one more, 'cause i'm more into low tuning metal sound. But the guitars are too dark in the first mix. Luckily that is easily fixed with little tweaking in my patch.

What are to tunings of the 2 different clips? When it comes to original music I usually tune either in drop Db or drop B and occasionally a 7 string tuned in A. In my last couple of original bands (or projects) 5 or 6 of 11 songs would usually be in B then 1 at most 2 would be in A then the rest in Db. As I have started writing for some new projects (one being a sort of resurrection of an old band) I have noticed that I am pretty opposite now and actually like the Db tuning better. I think you hear the guitar better. Not just in a mix (because B works really well in a mix if you know how to track and mix it right) but I mean really HEAR the guitar. Hear more character, hear the wood etc.

I guess i did all of that rambling to qualify me to say that A- the mix is really good. B-I like the 2nd better because its a higher tuning though the tone of the 1st was bad ass just needed a lil more cut. C-the bass guitar was killer sounding and D-hell of a good riff!

Referring to the second clip, the kick needs a little more top end delineation with a touch of 4k or so and it really needs some of the sub low end taken out around 40 hz or so, it's also still too loud, the bass is non-existent to me and will help with the kick issue and give a little more balls to the mix, the snare is paper thin and a bit too loud in the mix. If you bring the snare in a bit more mid 300-500 hz, punch and set it back in the mix a bit, with a compressed copy on top, that would help. The guitars are much better in that they are brighter but perhaps a compromise between the two recordings would do.

It also needs more cowbell. :pride:

JamUp iOS app and Apogee JAM

I just find this great little multieffect processor app (JamUp) from the AppStore and gave it a try. Sounds good? :encouragement:

The drum mix isn't that great. I tried new compressor from Native Instruments called Supercharger and i need more time to learn how to use it better.

But this demo is mainly for you guys to hear how great this iOS app sounds!!

JamUp doesn't sound bad, though it doesn't cut through the mix like the AxeFX does.

Your guitars are missing some of the high end. It's very easy to cut the top end off in the search for butter smoothness in your rhythm tracks, which sounds really good isolated, but doesn't survive very well in the mix. In my own experience, all stock cabs suffer from boominess and a lack of top end since they're meant for "amp in the room" sound rather than mix-ready tones. I use OwnHammers studio mixes to a great extend and it really helps in opening up those guitars.

Back
Top Bottom