FW11 IIC+ vs Mark V-IIC+ - Not getting good results (Solved)

Are you using the Axe-Fx II input noise gate? Try turning it off by lowering the threshold & ratio all the way down. Sometimes the background noise is perceived as part of the Tone & feel. I noticed this with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 and Mesa Boogie TriAxis. Most of the tone & feel issues I have are from the power amp modeling. If I disable the Marshall models power amp and plug my Axe-Fx II into the real Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 power amp I get most of the tone & feel I was missing.

I don't care if it feels the same as something else as long as it feels good.

That said, the Axe Mark patches have always been a little different to the real thing to me. I'd be interested to try the settings tweaks suggested earlier in the case.

Wow why did you put slave out to PA?? Same as axefx without cab...

Because it was there ;) I was just seeing what that did to see if I can get better sound than mic'ing the cab. Did not like it. That was the days before I got introduced to the Axe.

Are you using the Axe-Fx II input noise gate? Try turning it off by lowering the threshold & ratio all the way down. Sometimes the background noise is perceived as part of the Tone & feel. I noticed this with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 and Mesa Boogie TriAxis. Most of the tone & feel issues I have are from the power amp modeling. If I disable the Marshall models power amp and plug my Axe-Fx II into the real Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 power amp I get most of the tone & feel I was missing.

Nah turned off the gate, its just much different

I don't care if it feels the same as something else as long as it feels good.

That said, the Axe Mark patches have always been a little different to the real thing to me. I'd be interested to try the settings tweaks suggested earlier in the case.

I did try those messing with the previous mentioned settings and I felt no difference. The best way I can describe it is like with the mesa, the pick feels like its cutting through the sound, and with the axe it feels like it's activating the sound. I'm not sure, luckily my favourite amps feel and sound pretty good so I'm not too stressed out about it ha.

You are going to get a fair amount of difference ,by the vibrations of your cab (Feel)even if you can't hear it( which I would guess you hear it more than you think,even though it is muffled with pillows and blankets!To do an accurate comparison the cab has to be totally out of the room ,sound and vibrations!!!

You are going to get a fair amount of difference ,by the vibrations of your cab (Feel)even if you can't hear it( which I would guess you hear it more than you think,even though it is muffled with pillows and blankets!To do an accurate comparison the cab has to be totally out of the room ,sound and vibrations!!!

Yup.

I do A/B tests on a daily basis and it's shocking what just a little low-frequency bleed does to your perception. I use an isolation cabinet in a closet with a blanket over it. There's still some low-frequency bleed. I'll listen to the amp feed first. If I listen to just the model it sounds way different. If I listen to the model with the amp driving the isolation cabinet so I'm getting the bleed it sounds identical.

The only way to really appreciate the accuracy of the Axe-Fx is to go into the studio and listen to the amp from the control room and compare.

The Axe-Fx is what it is. It's not a tube amp. It's the best digital approximation available (yes the BEST).

It's been an amazing journey and I have to agree - it is THE BEST device of its kind. It is so much more than an approximation because it can go to places where tube amps can't.

I for one do not believe that the journey has reached its end. Some day another epiphany will inevitably hit you.

Have an excellent vacation - if I bump into you at Cape Cod lemme buy you a beer. :D

The Axe-Fx is what it is. It's not a tube amp. It's the best digital approximation available (yes the BEST). If that doesn't suit you, move on.

I know it's not a tube amp, but this thread was posted to see if I could gather any information for why it wasn't close to mine. Since you MIMIC'd your amps to be "exact", I figured I was doing something wrong.

I also did Axe FX patch into poweramp/cab, as well as Mesa into the same cab (port city 2x12os).

Sean is just tying to figure out something. It is a interesting experiment however it turns out ;)

Sean did you run only preamp (pa sim off) to the poweramp? Did you try pa sim on?

You are also using a Mark V, and from what i have read it does not sound exactly like mark IV or IIc+?

Yup.

I do A/B tests on a daily basis and it's shocking what just a little low-frequency bleed does to your perception. I use an isolation cabinet in a closet with a blanket over it. There's still some low-frequency bleed. I'll listen to the amp feed first. If I listen to just the model and it sounds way different. If I listen to the model with the amp driving the isolation cabinet so I'm getting the bleed it sounds identical.

The only way to really appreciate the accuracy of the Axe-Fx is to go into the studio and listen to the amp from the control room and compare.

Eggxactly my experience as well!!! I percieved differences I was convinced of until I recorded both and played back !! Pretty much allways prefer the Ax myself!! The smallest amount of sound or vibration,( I think the vibrations have the most to do with feel) will really trick your mind!!!!!

Sean is just tying to figure out something. It is a interesting experiment however it turns out ;)

Sean did you run only preamp (pa sim off) to the poweramp? Did you try pa sim on?

You are also using a Mark V, and from what i have read it does not sound exactly like mark IV or IIc+?

I'm using a solid state poweramp so that wouldn't work (matrix gt1000fx)

And you're right they do have some differences but I've played both the IIC+ and a V, and they still are pretty close. I've not used a Mark IV which is why I'm only going off of the IIC+ mode as I've played the original, the one in the Mark V, and the modeled one.

I'm using a solid state poweramp so that wouldn't work (matrix gt1000fx)

And you're right they do have some differences but I've played both the IIC+ and a V, and they still are pretty close. I've not used a Mark IV which is why I'm only going off of the IIC+ mode as I've played the original, the one in the Mark V, and the modeled one.

Ok. Have you tried Axe (pa sims off) into reurn of Mark V? Just to see if the difference is in poweramp or also in the preamp..

Ok. Have you tried Axe (pa sims off) into reurn of Mark V? Just to see if the difference is in poweramp or also in the preamp..

I haven't, but that is definitely a great suggestion! I'll try that out when I fool with it again later today. :)

Back
Top Bottom