FW11 IIC+ vs Mark V-IIC+ - Not getting good results (Solved)

Record it. Then listen without the amp under the blankets? Post it an have us all hear what you're talking about.
I'm curious.

I'm using Cab IRs in the Axe FX.

Slave out of Mesa Mark V into the front of the Axe. When dialing in the IIC+ on the axe it was the exact IRs as with the Amp.

Also.. slave out is the preamp output on that amp right? So to make them sound similar you have to disable the power amp on the Axe. Am I right?

Also.. slave out is the preamp output on that amp right? So to make them sound similar you have to disable the power amp on the Axe. Am I right?

This is from the Mark V manual.

"This 1/4” jack and control provide a signal derived from the speaker jack. Perfect for using either the MARK V head version or combo as a master pre-amp and additional power amps for more power when needed. Some players use the SLAVE to derive an EFX Send Signal and go to other amps for their wet sound."

This too!

"A SLAVE OUTPUT and SLAVE LEVEL Control allows you to capture the full sound of the MARK V, both preamp and power section, for a feed to processing racks and/or additional power amps (perhaps MESA Stereo Rack power) for big venue applications."

Can you make a recording and compare recorded sounds? Or connect the amp, with some attenuator that has a line out, to the axe so that there's no sound other than the one coming from your headphones, because, as Cliff said:
you'd be surprised how much that little leakage through the blankets influences your perception.

To be sure that you compare apples to apples you need to match the impedance curve in the speaker tab with. he real speaker in your combo.

And an amp connected to a static non reactive load will not perform in the same way as the model in the Axe.

I hated the slave out on my Mark V. Sounded like crap into a PA. The Axe IIc+bright is one of my favs.

While I agree that the sonic aspect is probably most important, even going out of the same cab, the feel was as I described. I'm going to mess with it some more later today, and will try to produce some sound samples for you guys.

Ok.. never liked the slave out signal of my Roadster. :(

Slave out of my Roadster was THE sound when played with some IR's from axefx....after I figured out how the slave works..

I've never been able to get that kind of sound using axefx Rectos...and kinda same issue like in Sean Ashes case, it's the feel and some thing else...

Tone matching didn't help. Well you get the sound but something is missing, the feel and that cranked Mesa compression when playing loud to low end etc.

If I understand the original post correctly, the slave out into the Axe was the preferred sound. So if there
was a problem in his signal chain, wouldn't correcting it just further improve the tone/feel of the Mark V over the Axe model?

I'll be curious to see..

If I understand the original post correctly, the slave out into the Axe was the preferred sound. So if there
was a problem in his signal chain, wouldn't correcting it just further improve the tone/feel of the Mark V over the Axe model?

I'll be curious to see..

Hey Joe! Hope all is well man :) I'm going to work on it later tonight, but yea slave out through the mark v even the way i was doing it felt like how i was playing the amp. I had the input set so that it wasn't clipping (by turning down slave level) but will try the rear input later!

Ok. I had a Mark V combo just before the Axe so my tweaking is "memory based" but still.

There are a couple of things that could be the reason why the Axe IIc+ and the MarkV IIc+ versions differ.

The biggest difference I believe is because(and correct me if I'm wrong) the Axe version is based on a GEQ-version and the MarkV version is a NON-GEQ version.

After reading the MarkV manual a couple of times were Dough West explains the reason why there is a difference between the GEQ version and the NON-GEQ version I have come closer to the Mark V version.
The GEQ version in real life according to the investigations done by Mesa Boogie has a bigger capacitor just before the GEQ sliders than the Non-GEQ version. This results in that the GEQ version has alot more low end, but because the time constant differs between the two different capacitors there is also a major difference in feel.
The GEQ version is fatter, more low end heavy and "slower" and the NON-GEQ version is tighter and faster but with less low end. These differences can be noticed in the MarkV when switching between the IIc+ and the IV modes. I used to be able to set the gain knob to 6 and still keep the bass at 5, for the IIc+ but on the IV mode I had to keep the bass at around 2 to handle the Mark bass flub.

Now back to the Axe II.
Use the low cut in the Advanced pages, both the input low cut and the power amp low cut to tighten it up. Try one of them or both at something up to 200-300 Hz, experiment!. Now it is possible to increase the bass in the preamp tab to 5 without flub. Try also the new bass cut underneath the bass knob in the preamp tab.
I also reduced the sag and increased the B+ Time constant to make the feel faster and tighter.
For me I got very close feel wise.
The missing sizzle your talking about I could make more sizzling by messing with HI FREQ and HI RES in the Speaker tab in the Amp block.

Good luck!

This guy knows what he is talking about!

oh, I'm not doubting you, I haven't tried it with V11 yet but with V10
I got the chance to run my Axe side by side with a real Dual Recto
...........................ya we don't want to talk about that
I'd love to get a meal Mark IV here again to see how close (or far off) I really am

Oh yes I wanna talk about it!!! I'd like to do that side by side test with recto or mkiv...

What's your conclusion from that test?

I think fw11 mark iv was pretty good now but I cant get the iic+ sound near as good. We should have the modes from mark V because it might be easier to dial in with just one gain etc...maybe...

I have had the same experience with Mesa Boogie amps. They always sound great when other guys are playing them and hear the sound. But when I've owned them, and tried to get a good tone out of one, I haven't done a very good job. Finicky would be the way I would describe it. Easy to make a Boogie sound bad....difficult to make a Marshall sound bad...in my experience anyways.

Boogies make you work for the tone. The dynamic range takes a bit of getting used to, and all your mistakes are easily heard. I'm not sure what percentage of tube amps are like this, but it seems the Mark series at least are a mic for your guitar and even slight misfrets are audible.

Boogies make you work for the tone. The dynamic range takes a bit of getting used to, and all your mistakes are easily heard. I'm not sure what percentage of tube amps are like this, but it seems the Mark series at least are a mic for your guitar and even slight misfrets are audible.

The Mark V covers up a ton of stuff lol, that's why I stopped using it. As far as work for tone, yes you have to tweak it right, but to work for notes doesn't take much effort, even with conservative gain. Imo.

Irotlas... how about we do a YouTube comparison with a Mark IV and the Roadster that you are going to buy? ;)

Daaaaaaamn!! I wan't it back!! 1400€ is nothing for it but no money atm, But hey I can borrow Mark IV if I want and probably dual recto from the guy we got the 212 recto cab.

Irotlas... how about we do a YouTube comparison with a Mark IV and the Roadster that you are going to buy? ;)
Daaaaaaamn!! I wan't it back!! 1400€ is nothing for it but no money atm, But hey I can borrow Mark IV if I want and probably dual recto from the guy we got the 212 recto cab.
Hey, if you guys want to have a totally crazy Mesa-fest ... I could bring a Mark III blue stripe, Triaxis, Studio Preamp and Simul 395 poweramp (probably could borrow a Mark V too). I think we are in the same city.

Back
Top Bottom