FW11.02b3 - Cracks and pops when using wah on Marshall type amps

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
This seems to occur only with Marshall type amps (Plexi, JMC, Friedman)
I tried this with Class A amps and PVH 6150 and didn't get any pops and cracks.
First part is a collection of when it occurred using the wah, after the silent part I switched to a class A amp.

CPU is around 82%, same as on previous FW where it didn't occur.

Wah Bug FW 11,02 b3.png

Cracks and pops MP3

Edit: seems to happen only when Axe-Edit is open.

Generally speaking if your preset has a CPU load of over 80% there is a chance you might get some weird things happening; this is why it is recommended to keep below 80% (even though with the previous FW you said it was fine at that CPU load).

With that in mind, can you try delete a heavy CPU block (maybe Drive or Reverb) to lower the CPU and see if you still get the same problem? Not suggesting this as the solution, only to help troubleshoot it a little.

Do you have 2 amps in your preset? - If yes, CPU1 can overload while CPU2 (the one you have a meter for) still has capacity - it's hard to diagnose without seeing the preset.

You forgot Rule #1.

I was about to add the preset but hen I noticed it only happens when Axe-Edit is open.
So I didn't think it was necessary to post the preset since:
  • It only happens when Axe-Edit is open
  • It didn't occur on previous firmware.
Do you have 2 amps in your preset
Generally speaking if your preset has a CPU load of over 80% there is a chance you might get some weird things happening
Yes I do but again, this didn't happen before.

Also it only happens with the Marshall types, not with the A-class amps that are on a different channel in the same preset.

All these presets are made with the same template.
Only amps, drives and cabs were changed.

I just tried it again and it even occurs without Axe-Edit open.
Preset #000: Only with the amps in Channel A, B and C, not D.
Preset #001: Only with the amps in Channel A, B and C, not D.
Preset #003: Only with the amps in Channel B and C, not A & D.

Attachments

• 001 - Hi Gain HB's.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 000 - Alnico II's(2).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 003 - Stratocaster.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hope this works.
Thanks for the effort.

Sometimes it occurs immediately, sometimes it takes a while of playing with the wah but the cracks & pops are clearly noticeable then.

Attachments

• Cracks & Pops.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
I also noticed that, as soon as I switch one of the amps to a Class-A, the crackling stops.
When I switch back to two Marshall types, it starts again.

Your preset comes up blank when I try to load it but from your description it sounds like you are running into what I have encountered recently with CPU1 overloading when using 2 amp blocks. See attached preset which starts clipping for me at 25% on the CPU meter with Axeedit open (and will eventually clip even with AxeEdit not open). I can even take out the Enhancer and Delay Blocks leaving it at 17% cpu with only 5 blocks total and it will clip (pops / crackles as occur with cpu overload). I've posted a couple of other threads on this but did not really get any where in terms of comfirmation that my unit is not having a problem but I'm pretty sure from testing that this is what's happening and my Axefx is not faulty.

Attachments

• AMPSIDE-CPU-CLIPPING.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom