FW10 has really F-d UP my Mesa Patches :( ... lot's of work or back to V6???

Sorry Stratamania
The hissiness if that's a word - was on my marshall/rock Tones.
But yeah - I can understand how that can be more real amp like!
BUT
The Mesa tones just sounded more harsh and lost that fusion Mesa vibe.

Ok, got it I was just curious, anyway here is a link http://axefx.fr/ courtesy of AlGrenadine where all sorts of versions can be found. But maybe try version 7 modelling in FW10 as when the new AE arrives you will need newer FW I think to use it.

There are some steps you can do to recreate the FW you like but some of the factory IRs got changed with FW10 so that will have an effect also

Cheers,
yeah - that's what I was thinking - things not linking/existing to all the right places and the changes!
Will try

Hi All,

I recently spent a day comparing the Axe-Fx II to an original IIC+, with NOS tubes. This amp sounded AWESOME.

For a proper comparison, it was the usual process: create an IR of the cab in the next room, then do a tone match.
The Cab IR had its own character, but I would describe it as within the parameters of the factory IRs... not overly colored or especially different in any way. Given ten cabs, you'd never choose this one as unusual.
I want to note that the result of the tone match was very subtle and may as well have been a PEQ. It reflected a dip at 750 in the amps EQ, with a few ripples in the high end.

To establish my own listening credentials, I do have many golden opportunities to listen to great amps, set up by great artists and engineers.
As for my criticality: I need to be brutal to anticipate the criticisms of the most demanding players, tests, producers, etc.

This was one of the best side-by-side studio comparisons I've ever heard, and left me with the conviction that the IIC+ BRIGHT model is PERFECT.

A number of very discriminating listeners present also stated that they felt that Axe-Fx totally nailed it -- that the result was considerably better and closer than anything heard in v9 or earlier. An Ultra would be no comparison -- FW10 had honored the legacy of this great amp with a precise re-creation.

Now, I know that there are other models mentioned in this thread, but each of those has undergone the same scrutiny as the one in this example.

I sympathize that the work you put in to v6 presets is "lost" -- but I emphasize that it will be very worth the effort to create something golden in v10.
With MIMIC providing an absolute reference, the chance of such a radical departure again seems unlikely to me.

Hi All,

I recently spent a day comparing the Axe-Fx II to an original IIC+, with NOS tubes. This amp sounded AWESOME.

For a proper comparison, it was the usual process: create an IR of the cab in the next room, then do a tone match.
The Cab IR had its own character, but I would describe it as within the parameters of the factory IRs... not overly colored or especially different in any way. Given ten cabs, you'd never choose this one as unusual.
I want to note that the result of the tone match was very subtle and may as well have been a PEQ. It reflected a dip at 750 in the amps EQ, with a few ripples in the high end.

To establish my own listening credentials, I do have many golden opportunities to listen to great amps, set up by great artists and engineers.
As for my criticality: I need to be brutal to anticipate the criticisms of the most demanding players, tests, producers, etc.

This was one of the best side-by-side studio comparisons I've ever heard, and left me with the conviction that the IIC+ BRIGHT model is PERFECT.

A number of very discriminating listeners present also stated that they felt that Axe-Fx totally nailed it -- that the result was considerably better and closer than anything heard in v9 or earlier. An Ultra would be no comparison -- FW10 had honored the legacy of this great amp with a precise re-creation.

Now, I know that there are other models mentioned in this thread, but each of those has undergone the same scrutiny as the one in this example.

I sympathize that the work you put in to v6 presets is "lost" -- but I emphasize that it will be very worth the effort to create something golden in v10.
With MIMIC providing an absolute reference, the chance of such a radical departure again seems unlikely to me.

Care to share this preset, for science? :)

Hi All,

So when people actually like a specific amp from a previous FW better, it could actually mean that they would not like the "real" amp at all since FW10 modeling is far more realistic?!
For me, who came straight from tube amps to FW8, the FW10 blew me away!

Matt, would you please create a V10 preset(s) and put it up on the exchange?

For FRFR FOH LIVE use. .:mrgreen

Some of us are a bit dialling challenged, and an additional refrence point from a seasoned pro would be appreciated.

with V8 I sounded just like the recorded version of covers.

eta/ I am confident cover tune tone copy is do-able with V10, i just have not been able to achieve it yet.

thanks.

Last edited:
agreed. there aren't any tricks needed any more. the model behaves like the real amp, so real world experience applies.

i've made you a quick patch as a starter, it has all the elements needed. i did have some some externals attached for volume and a lead boost, but i've removed them. no advanced parameters were harmed in the making of this patch. use the peq after the amp block to fine tune. the depth control also has a lot of effect in the amp block in terms of how much "thump" it has. sounds decent to me and i'm sure with a little fine tuning it could sound really great

Guys - A tone match or a preset made by another person will be unlikely to translate well with your instrument, setup, etc.

This is not true when you are matching a live amp.

The MATCH is comparing the sound of a certain guitar through the Axe-Fx to the sound of the SAME guitar through the amp.
That common source limits the compensation strictly to differences between the two systems under analysis.
So as long as you make sure that the guitar used is able to elicit the full range of tones from the amp, tone matching translates when you change guitars.

I've experienced this firsthand many times.

After reading this thread I startet auditioning the Mesa amps, especially the recto models which I found to be very good.

I've in particular fallen in love with the Recto Orange Vintage (switching power tybe type to pentode). Great amps for sure.

@Admin m@: I fully believe you when you say that you were able to nail the IIC+ perfectly, I am also convinced that when Cliff worked on the v10 Rectifier he made it sound like his real one, but all I can say is that MY Axe fx doesn't sound anything like my real Rectifiers since I loaded v10. I can't explain why, I can only guess that something actually can go wrong when updating the firmware and that this might be the reason, no idea, but fact is: the Rectifier in my Axe fx, using fw 10 doesn't sound right at all. The problem is not that I don't know how to dial in the sound, I am using rectifiers since 1995, I recorded many albums with my Rectos, toured the world, I know how to get my sound, never had a problem before fw 10 either, but well, as I already said it, my Axe sounds wrong on fw 10. For now I switched to the Friedman HBE which sounds awesome on fw 10, all my clean sounds are great, pretty much everything works flawless, just not the Rectos. Weird...

Badass Simeon!

5 minutes tweaking

there's nothing you can do to the advanced parameters that will have more effect than simply changing the cab, imo

get the cabs right and you're 90% of the way there. the rest is just tweaking feel and response. the only thing i regularly touch in the advanced parameters is the low res freq on the speaker page. many of the amps have this set to about 110hz now, which is the same frequency as a low A and can cause problems with certain cabs. i just lower the freq or the res a bit. i'm not saying my patch is anything special and many people may hate it, but it's just a starter for those who aren't used to dialling in these amps.

To Matt or Cliff:
Is the original physical IIc+ that serve as the mother for the IIc+ model in the Axe II an "on board GEQ" or a "NON-GEQ"?

This is NOT a whining question, just a question out of curiosity since there is "story" written by Dough West in the Mark V manual about the differences of the two versions.
Short story, the Non-geq has a smaller cap somewhere before or after the power amp which filters out some low end and make the Non-geq feel quicker and more cutting.
This would easily be accomplished in the axe, haha! Harder in reality!

Concerning simeons PEQ settings: I tend to use a wider q(about .5 instead of .7) for the mid freq's (240,750,2200). This seems more musical to my ears, but that's totally a matter of taste.

Back
Top Bottom