FW10 FAQ

Piing

Axe-Master
The official threads for new FW usually grow very fast, and it becomes difficult to go through all the pages to find tips and tricks. So I have started compiling them on this dedicated thread.

Feel free to add new tips kindly offered by The Master and other users. But please, ask your questions at the official FW10 thread, so we can keep this one clean.

What is new in FW 10.00?
RTFRN
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-10-00.154850/post-1842273

Why? How?
"Firmware 10 uses new "FASPICE XD" modeling in the amp and drive block. It requires a bit more CPU but the accuracy is far better. I figured out a way to ensure that transcendental equations are always stiffly stable and converge in a fixed amount of time. Significantly faster and at least as accurate as trapezoidal, modified trap, gear, etc. algorithms. It dampens numerical ringing without the side-effect of damping actual circuit ringing. Once you see how it works it seems hard to believe that no one has thought of it before but I can't find a single paper or article that uses the technique" link

Does it have side effects?
"The only drawback is that frequency response is limited to about 1/2 Nyquist but since we oversample that's irrelevant" link

AC20 Sun/Moon Switch = Axe-FX Bright Switch. Unless the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon link

Which drive pedals does the new algo affect ?
Rat
Super OD
T808 OD
Fat Rat
Plus Distortion
Full OD
Blues OD
Shred Distortion
M-Zone Distortion
BB Pre
Eternal Love
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Zen Master
FAS LED-Drive
Ruckus
FAS Boost
Timothy
Tone of Kings
Heartpedal 11
Jam Ray
link

Any change in the drive levels or block output levels?
"Probably not. However any models that use germanium types (1N270, 1N34A) might have a very slightly lower output now" link

I am bored, what can I do?
"Don't overlook the FAS models. I just dialed up the FAS Crunch and got goosebumps. I'm finding that a lot more cabinets work with models now. For this preset I used Factory 1 - 291 which is a 1x12 but it works." link

Gain Enhancer
"Here’s a hot tip for the edge of breakup fans out there. Set the amp’s input drive to where it’s basically clean, then edge up the Gain Enhancer until it breaks up the way you want when you hit it hard. Playing hard gives you big juicy chords, and lighter pick attack cleans it up while still sounding full. You get more sustain than if you just set the input drive hotter" York Audio

Is the focus at this point just on accuracy, "warts and all", or are there still instances where you prefer the models to be better than what's possible in real life?
"Accuracy, warts and all. Otherwise people compare against the real amp and say 'it doesn't sound the same'. The FAS models are idealized and have some of the "design flaws" removed or reduced" link

The Trainwreck Express has been making a bizarre sound since updating. It's like an electronic fizz sound
"Got out the reference amp and it sounds the same. For all the hoopla surrounding Trainwrecks they're actually pretty bad designs. Tons of blocking distortion in the PI. If you don't want all that blocking distortion turn down PI Bias Excursion"
"Wow, turning down PI Bias Excursion yields the ultimate Trainwreck. Sounds much better than the real amp. I also adjusted the Preamp Bias so it wasn't so off-center"
"Turn PI Bias Excursion to 0. Set Preamp Bias to -0.15 or so "
link

Is there to be more variation expected by tube type with this update?
"There won't be the same variation you would get by substituting in a real amp because the transformer matching stays consistent. IOW, if you put an EL84 in a Plexi the transformer matching is going to be way too low because the transconductance is very different. The power tube models normalize the transconductance so switching power tubes also effectively installs the correct output transformer."
"For example, a pair of EL-84s want around 8K primary impedance. A pair of EL-34s want around 3.2K. If you put EL-84s in a Plexi the transformer will then be very undermatched (and probably burn the tubes up)."
"In the Axe-Fx if you change the tube type to EL-84 you get all the parameters of an EL-84 but the virtual transformer will be changed so that the matching stays the same. You will get the crunchier tone of the EL-84 though since its knee voltage (kvb) is roughly half that of an EL-34."
link

Last edited:
@Piing there's the beginning of a good idea here. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to how you might evolve something like this over time. There's certainly a bunch of interesting information that surfaces in the release threads that's buried and hard to find if you're not following those threads with some regularity. Pulling that interesting stuff out into a post where it's the first post or a wiki page might help the less-than-ten-time-a-day visitors to the forum find it.

Do you live in a state where cannabis is legal?
Some of us are blessed. Don't be jealous?

I like this idea!

But please use quotation marks when quoting, so it's easy to differentiate between your words and other's. Providing the source as a link to the post would be cool aswell in order to get some context for those who want it.

But please use quotation marks when quoting, so it's easy to differentiate between your words and other's. Providing the source as a link to the post would be cool aswell in order to get some context for those who want it.

Threads like these save time for people who just want the recap.

All snippets and more have been added to the wiki as well, as always. Using quotation marks and adding sources.

The official threads for new FW usually grow very fast, and it becomes difficult to go through all the pages to find tips and tricks. So I have started compiling them on this dedicated thread.

Feel free to add new tips kindly offered by The Master and other users. But please, ask your questions at the official FW10 thread, so we can keep this one clean.

What is new in FW 10.00?
RTFRN
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-10-00.154850/post-1842273

Why? How?
"Firmware 10 uses new "FASPICE XD" modeling in the amp and drive block. It requires a bit more CPU but the accuracy is far better. I figured out a way to ensure that transcendental equations are always stiffly stable and converge in a fixed amount of time. Significantly faster and at least as accurate as trapezoidal, modified trap, gear, etc. algorithms. It dampens numerical ringing without the side-effect of damping actual circuit ringing. Once you see how it works it seems hard to believe that no one has thought of it before but I can't find a single paper or article that uses the technique"

"The only drawback is that frequency response is limited to about 1/2 Nyquist but since we oversample that's irrelevant"

AC20 Sun/Moon Switch = Axe-FX Bright Switch. Unless the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon

Rat
Super OD
T808 OD
Fat Rat
Plus Distortion
Full OD
Blues OD
Shred Distortion
M-Zone Distortion
BB Pre
Eternal Love
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Zen Master
FAS LED-Drive
Ruckus
FAS Boost
Timothy
Tone of Kings
Heartpedal 11
Jam Ray

"Probably not. However any models that use germanium types (1N270, 1N34A) might have a very slightly lower output now"

Don't overlook the FAS models

Very cool also dont overlook the power tubes choices

The KT77 was added and the 5881
And 6L6GC are now separate options

What is new in FW 10.00?
RTFRN

Why? How?
"Firmware 10 uses new "FASPICE XD" modeling in the amp and drive block. It requires a bit more CPU but the accuracy is far better. I figured out a way to ensure that transcendental equations are always stiffly stable and converge in a fixed amount of time. Significantly faster and at least as accurate as trapezoidal, modified trap, gear, etc. algorithms. It dampens numerical ringing without the side-effect of damping actual circuit ringing. Once you see how it works it seems hard to believe that no one has thought of it before but I can't find a single paper or article that uses the technique"

"The only drawback is that frequency response is limited to about 1/2 Nyquist but since we oversample that's irrelevant"

AC20 Sun/Moon Switch = Axe-FX Bright Switch. Unless the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon

Rat
Super OD
T808 OD
Fat Rat
Plus Distortion
Full OD
Blues OD
Shred Distortion
M-Zone Distortion
BB Pre
Eternal Love
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Zen Master
FAS LED-Drive
Ruckus
FAS Boost
Timothy
Tone of Kings
Heartpedal 11
Jam Ray

"Probably not. However any models that use germanium types (1N270, 1N34A) might have a very slightly lower output now"

Don't overlook the FAS models
Good on yah Piing! excellent idea and cheers for starting this. Saves lazy arses like me a lot of time. \m/ :-D

I like this idea!

But please use quotation marks when quoting, so it's easy to differentiate between your words and other's. Providing the source as a link to the post would be cool as well in order to get some context for those who want it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've added quotes, and links to the sources.

I've also added tips from the FW10.0 Beta 2 thread that are relevant for this final release

What is new in FW 10.00?
RTFRN

Why? How?
"Firmware 10 uses new "FASPICE XD" modeling in the amp and drive block. It requires a bit more CPU but the accuracy is far better. I figured out a way to ensure that transcendental equations are always stiffly stable and converge in a fixed amount of time. Significantly faster and at least as accurate as trapezoidal, modified trap, gear, etc. algorithms. It dampens numerical ringing without the side-effect of damping actual circuit ringing. Once you see how it works it seems hard to believe that no one has thought of it before but I can't find a single paper or article that uses the technique" link

"The only drawback is that frequency response is limited to about 1/2 Nyquist but since we oversample that's irrelevant" link

AC20 Sun/Moon Switch = Axe-FX Bright Switch. Unless the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon link

Rat
Super OD
T808 OD
Fat Rat
Plus Distortion
Full OD
Blues OD
Shred Distortion
M-Zone Distortion
BB Pre
Eternal Love
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Zen Master
FAS LED-Drive
Ruckus
FAS Boost
Timothy
Tone of Kings
Heartpedal 11
Jam Ray
link

"Probably not. However any models that use germanium types (1N270, 1N34A) might have a very slightly lower output now" link

"Don't overlook the FAS models. I just dialed up the FAS Crunch and got goosebumps. I'm finding that a lot more cabinets work with models now. For this preset I used Factory 1 - 291 which is a 1x12 but it works." link

Gain Enhancer
"Here’s a hot tip for the edge of breakup fans out there. Set the amp’s input drive to where it’s basically clean, then edge up the Gain Enhancer until it breaks up the way you want when you hit it hard. Playing hard gives you big juicy chords, and lighter pick attack cleans it up while still sounding full. You get more sustain than if you just set the input drive hotter" York Audio

Is the focus at this point just on accuracy, "warts and all", or are there still instances where you prefer the models to be better than what's possible in real life?
"Accuracy, warts and all. Otherwise people compare against the real amp and say 'it doesn't sound the same'. The FAS models are idealized and have some of the "design flaws" removed or reduced" link

The Trainwreck Express has been making a bizarre sound since updating. It's like an electronic fizz sound
"Got out the reference amp and it sounds the same. For all the hoopla surrounding Trainwrecks they're actually pretty bad designs. Tons of blocking distortion in the PI. If you don't want all that blocking distortion turn down PI Bias Excursion"
"Wow, turning down PI Bias Excursion yields the ultimate Trainwreck. Sounds much better than the real amp. I also adjusted the Preamp Bias so it wasn't so off-center"
"Turn PI Bias Excursion to 0. Set Preamp Bias to -0.15 or so "
link

is there be more variation expected by tube type with this update?
"There won't be the same variation you would get by substituting in a real amp because the transformer matching stays consistent. IOW, if you put an EL84 in a Plexi the transformer matching is going to be way too low because the transconductance is very different. The power tube models normalize the transconductance so switching power tubes also effectively installs the correct output transformer."
"For example, a pair of EL-84s want around 8K primary impedance. A pair of EL-34s want around 3.2K. If you put EL-84s in a Plexi the transformer will then be very undermatched (and probably burn the tubes up)."
"In the Axe-Fx if you change the tube type to EL-84 you get all the parameters of an EL-84 but the virtual transformer will be changed so that the matching stays the same. You will get the crunchier tone of the EL-84 though since its knee voltage (kvb) is roughly half that of an EL-34."
link
AWESOME post.....and what an odd first reply.....so what if cannabis is legal or not? who gives a shit.....just SMOKE DAT SHIT (or vape)

Dont listen to that schmo.....thank you for explaining this
[
Do you live in a state where cannabis is legal?
not funny...shadddap

GREAT IDEA! Im not as well versed in a lot of the spec areas and their effects. This makes it much more palatable for people like myself.

Back
Top Bottom