FW Updates and Axe Edit

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I do not presume to tell FAS or Cliff how to do things-None of us could.
But i really feel that all FW updates that render the Axe Editor useless should be released together. I mean the FW update and the AxeEdit update that will work with it. I am very happy with my AxeII, as I was with my Ultra before it.
So I could easily wait a few more days for the FW if it meant getting the Editor at the same time. I probably am in the minority on this-but Just my wish

But i really feel that all FW updates that render the Axe Editor useless should be released together. I mean the FW update and the AxeEdit update that will work with it. I am very happy with my AxeII, as I was with my Ultra before it.
So I could easily wait a few more days for the FW if it meant getting the Editor at the same time. I probably am in the minority on this-but Just my wish

I share your sentiments. Don't get me wrong; it's awesome that Fractal continues to push the envelope, but now that Axe Edit is no longer a beta version, it would seem that Axe Fx firmware updates should be released in tandem with Axe Edit updates.

Agree. I don't want to go from keyboard to sitting on the floor and using the small screen to edit. So, I wait. FW updates get downloaded, but never installed until all aspects are on the same plane. Well, except for the Manual which is now TWO versions behind .....

I would factor in the first/second round of axe edit revisions are usually buggy with new firmware updates, especially when new functions/parameters are introduced.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Axe Edit only user due to studio setup.

Stratman68 said:

But you could just as easily wait a few more days right now, couldn't you? :)

The editor usually comes with in a couple of days of a firmware update. If it bothers you, simply wait until the editor is ready.
A lof of the time The editor can't be completely updated until the firmware is done. No real need to make others wait for the editor if they wish to try out the firmware IMO.

Then wait for Axe-Edit to be released. Why should those who don't want to wait be punished?

So punishing us is ok?

I would factor in the first/second round of axe edit revisions are usually buggy with new firmware updates, especially when new functions/parameters are introduced.
Software with so many bugs should never be released as other than Beta. Another issue, but for another thread.

So punishing us is ok?

Software with so many bugs should never be released as other than Beta. Another issue, but for another thread.

How are you being punished for waiting until the editor is released to upload the firmware. You would have had to wait that long anyway?

Seems like a Poll in the making!

How do you primarily edit your Axe II?

A) Mostly by using the front panel.
B) Mostly by using the Axe-Edit.
C) Even split

:)

I agree that it is cool to release it independent of AxeEdit for those that want to load it.

It would be sweet if AxeEdit could warn you that it might have issues though because the AxeFx firmware is newer. Seems like there are always several posts related to AxeEdit snafus when a new firmware comes out.

So punishing us is ok?

ok I gotta weigh in on this one, I too, basically can only use axe edit, so it would be great if it came out at the same time. But I whole heartedly agree with Cliff and others on this, Id still rather NOT wait for the more important issue, the actual change in sound, then for the extra convenience of the axe edit.

But you have some sick demented twist on logic and talk about weird self entitlement, you dare suggest you are being "punished" by giving you the opportunity and amazing customer service of getting a FREE update EARLIER THAN YOU WANT? ARe you sick, mad, insane, beaten with reeds in a burlap sack, summers in rangoon, luge lessons? WAIT FOR THE EDITOR IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED, but saying this punishes you , arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh; arent you also the great guy who wont share his patches? hmmmmmmph

You missed the point. FA didn't want to "punish" panel editors, i.e., "Why should those who don't want to wait be punished?"

My point, have a complete package as bug-free and tested as possible. I'll take a COMPLETE system upgrade every 60 days over a new major number, followed by two minor fixes, and three changes to the peripheral software utility. Eagerness isn't always conducive to quality; Quick, Cheap, Good - pick two!

How are you being punished for waiting until the editor is released to upload the firmware. You would have had to wait that long anyway?

I could go into the many good and detailed reasons why there's normally a short delay between the release of a new firmware and the release of a compatible editor, but let's have it suffice to say that it simply is not worth delaying a totally functional firmware while the compatible editor release is tested and polished up.

You could just wait a few days and then upgrade the FW when the editor is done. It's the same thing, no? What, no willpower? ;-)

I recommend jumping into the deep end of the pool once in a while and use the front panel; just until the new editor is out.

Disclosure: I use AxeEdit more than the front panel.

You missed the point. FA didn't want to "punish" panel editors, i.e., "Why should those who don't want to wait be punished?"

My point, have a complete package as bug-free and tested as possible. I'll take a COMPLETE system upgrade every 60 days over a new major number, followed by two minor fixes, and three changes to the peripheral software utility. Eagerness isn't always conducive to quality; Quick, Cheap, Good - pick two!

This is complete crap!!
With your logic, I would not be already enjoying 5.0 since yesterday. I also mostly use Axe Edit, but I can wait thank you!!

Last edited:
So punishing us is ok?
Wow... Just wow.

Considering that the editor and firmware are free (hello Avid...)
Considering that Cliff doesn't hang us out to dry with firmware updates like TC electronics or any other number of companies...
Considering that both Line 6 and Digitech had editors that were 100% craptastic and they infrequently got any attention.
Considering that Cliff and team listen actually listen to us bitch and do something about it pretty damn quickly.

I think I will take Cliffs pace rather then the 12 month development cycle that most major software companies follow. I work for a major one that is quickly finding out that being on the bleeding edge of technology, this is the development model you have to follow. We had use to it because our customers wouldn't put up with it.

-Nate

Last edited:
I know it's not intentional, but the comments in a few threads at the moment seems to be very trivial..i mean it's great to offer constructive feedback, but I'm sure it p*sses FA off when hard work has been put into improving the Ax and threads like this appear..

No offense to the OP or any of the posters..but seriously a little perspective and reflection might be called for! :)

Back
Top Bottom