FW Q8.01 were defaults changed?

simonp54

Experienced
Were defaults changed as part of this FW change? I have had values change in [xformer grind], [out comp threshold], [pwr amp bias] for the AC30TB model... would have thought that would have been mentioned in the release notes. and yes i checked, these weren't parameters I touched.

(other parameters may have been affected, just these were the ones i noticed)

This is a re-post because i think it may have got lost in the main FW thread.

I'm away from my axe until next gig so I couldn't update to 8.1, but I think I remember the values for those parameters in 8 so, what are they in 8.1?

Can't say, because I have yet to install the update. But it was my understanding that if default values change they are only set to the new default if the amp block amp type is unselected/reselected or reset.

The fact that this question is raised with each and every update would suggest that a sticky with a clear description of amp defaults and their relationship to reset and firmware updates would be helpful.

I thought I had a clear understanding, but if what you say is true and you have not reset/reselected the amp, then I clearly don't understand.

I think that they get changed to fit the new fw - I've seen a lot of changes now in the presets, also in the preamp comp and some ir's are now on "Null" mic position.

I think that they get changed to fit the new fw - I've seen a lot of changes now in the presets, also in the preamp comp and some ir's are now on "Null" mic position.
I'm not talking about Fractal's revised presets here. I'm talking about the amp block. And I'm saying I had "default blocks"+ some minor tweeks before (Q8.0) and tried a block reset and whilst applying the minor tweeks I noticed some of the more advanced parameters were different to my expectations... there was no comments (in the release notes) to support the fact that this was the case or that an amp block reset "was required".

I'm not talking about Fractal's revised presets here. I'm talking about the amp block. And I'm saying I had "default blocks"+ some minor tweeks before (Q8.0) and tried a block reset and whilst applying the minor tweeks I noticed some of the more advanced parameters were different to my expectations... there was no comments (in the release notes) to support the fact that this was the case or that an amp block reset "was required".

Can you tell me the values you're referring to? Some had already changed with q7, I want to check if they've changed again, but like I said I won't be able to access my axe until next gig

Can you tell me the values you're referring to? Some had already changed with q7, I want to check if they've changed again, but like I said I won't be able to access my axe until next gig
[xformer grind], [out comp threshold], [pwr amp bias] were the ones i noticed

[pwr amp bias] for example was 0.050 now -0.100
[Xformer Grind] was 1.00 now 0.00
[out comp threshold] was -30dB now -40dB

i have no idea whether these are a big deal or not, but I wasn't as happy with the tone after these were changed.

I read but didn't answer because I don't touch those settings. I just reselect the amp block and dial the controls into the same neighborhood.

I trust the bosses ears, brain, and fingers to insure those are set right.

I did an update and also updated the first set of presets available. I noticed all of my EQ (bass, treble, and mids) were at noon. Not sure if that was the intention but I'm sure it will affect some folks. Not sure about some of the other settings yet.

If you think it sounded better before, then just reload the previous version and your back in business, or change the settings so they match what they were before. I usually just go through and take a bunch of pics of each page with my iPhone, works well enough

Its all and all a bit crazy how feverishly people want, and in some cases even seem to demand new firmware since we've become so spoiled, but at the same time, don't ever want anything to change, or expect Cliff to somehow cater to every single persons subjective taste as to what sounds best.

I would assume that if something did change, its because either A) its more accurate, or B) Cliff thought it sounded better and thus its the default value.

I'm an engineer and an "artist"... these are competing disciplines. If something changes people usually get notified by the thorough and useful release notes (something I admire Cliff for, for being so "open" about)... dunno why i'm getting comments like "leave the attitude at the gear page". I don't gush love love love love like the main FW thread to the detriment of actual real questions... and actually really simple questions. I already resolved my issues before creating this thread and yes have reloaded my backups and now i'm using those settings... but that means I have gained a number of parameters more to "manage" or "check" in future firmware updates.... if i wasn't so observant I might have missed them.

lqdsnddist - the process of "taking pictures of my settings" and then reset is widespread and shows how "naf" the reset block/known default value is... (i do it also!)

BTW - i think FW 8.01 is great, great, just freaking great, love it... (is that enough?) ;-)

I'm an engineer and an "artist"... these are competing disciplines. If something changes people usually get notified by the thorough and useful release notes (something I admire Cliff for, for being so "open" about)... dunno why i'm getting comments like "leave the attitude at the gear page". I don't gush love love love love like the main FW thread to the detriment of actual real questions... and actually really simple questions. I already resolved my issues before creating this thread and yes have reloaded my backups and now i'm using those settings... but that means I have gained a number of parameters more to "manage" or "check" in future firmware updates.... if i wasn't so observant I might have missed them.

lqdsnddist - the process of "taking pictures of my settings" and then reset is widespread and shows how "naf" the reset block/known default value is... (i do it also!)

BTW - i think FW 8.01 is great, great, just freaking great, love it... (is that enough?) ;-)
LOL! One most kneel at the altar I suppose...

I save all my patches in a folder on my desk top and when I update I re-download my saved syx and everything is good.

Well yes. I knew that, my point is that these haven't been "signposted" by the firmware release notes, therefore they shouldn't be different...

Lots "un-signposted" parameters change every time there's a major firmware update, and even when there's minor firmware updates. I think you're hallucinating regarding notifications. Once in a while we get told about one change. Recently it was speaker drive. But like I said, more often than not, more than one parameter is changed on amp reset on FW updates. And a listing of precisely what changed and from what to what is not listed.

You can find out for yourself. All you need to do is copy your amp to Y before you reset it and compare between the two to find out what changed and what didn't.

To answer your question. YES some parameter defaults changed in 8.01. IIRC, I saw a couple compression settings change, and and on some amps I saw power a bias change as well, but I don't recall specific name of the knob, maybe it was power amp bias.

Back
Top Bottom