fw Q4 | DOKKEN | Unchain The Night | FULL COVER w/vocals (patch included)

Damn it, that was a SERIOUS, bad ass cover that was BTTO (quoting Cliff). Rocco, how the hell do you get the those guitar tracks so f-ing thick? How many tracks for the rhythm? I'm a huge George Lynch fan but I can't do him justice the way you do. What a stellar job.
thanks a lot dude! On all my recordings guitars are always double tracked and panned hard left/hard right. I'm not a fan of quad tracking, I feel it makes things sound "flat" in a way, with less dynamics. The thing to keep in mind when creating a tone for recordings is that you don't need too much low end, let the bass take care of that! I usually hi-pass the guitar tracks at around 90/100hz, a low pass at around 7/8khz with a gentle slope usually does the trick, I don't care much about the high end fizz beyond that point. Choosing amps that have a nice cutting mid/upper mid frequency spectrum is key, I personally gravitate towards the marshall-type amps for this specific reason, so all the plexis, friedmans etc hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips Rocco. Questions though, do you EQ the patch (at those frequencies) in the CAB block or in the DAW to make it better sit/stand out in the mix? What about actual guitar tone? Perhaps selecting a different IR for R vs L track?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions but I finally compiled an album worth of material, began recording rough mixes but I can't seem to make the tracks, as simplistic as they are right now, sound anywhere near as monstrous as your recordings. You certainly have quite the mad mastering/mix skill set.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Greg

Thanks for the tips Rocco. Questions though, do you EQ the patch (at those frequencies) in the CAB block or in the DAW to make it better sit/stand out in the mix? What about actual guitar tone? Perhaps selecting a different IR for R vs L track?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions but I finally compiled an album worth of material, began recording rough mixes but I can't seem to make the tracks, as simplistic as they are right now, sound anywhere near as monstrous as your recordings. You certainly have quite the mad mastering/mix skill set.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Greg
I do tweak the low cut/high cut parameters in the cab block a lil bit, but most of the EQing is done in the DAW to be able to hear how things sound in the mix, as you said! btw I'm not an expert by any means, I didn't have any formal education regarding mixing or mastering so I'm still trying to figure out how to make things to sound the way I want (I'll probably never get there lol :D )

I do tweak the low cut/high cut parameters in the cab block a lil bit, but most of the EQing is done in the DAW to be able to hear how things sound in the mix, as you said!

Yeah, that's what I've been doing as well. I'm flying by the seat of my pants and am amazed on how ratty and thin certain guitar tones sound when solo'd but in the mix, they sound incredible. It certainly is a learning experience.

Keep up the amazing work :D !!

Great job, as usual, your stuff is always top-notch... and as always love knocking around other folks' presets so a big thanks there.... Just gotta say, though, the singing here is great. Honestly, that 'breaks' a cover so much more often the instrumental performances (IMHO). I liked the way this dude maintained the vibe and feel of the tune but delivered with a little more 'nads' than a typical Don Dokken deep-in-my-heart-I-just-wanna-be-a-teen-idol performance.

That was an amazing job. Excellent cover, great mix. Your playing is outstanding. I love the tone and you totally nailed those solos. Your vocalist is quite good also! Thanks for sharing this and for sharing the patch!

That was REALLY, really good. I downloaded that patch, thanks! The tracks in the video you posted sounds just like the rhythm track on the original only cranked up past 10. Killer, just killer. I'm gonna share this with my friend who is also a old school Dokken fan. Thanks!

Rocco, if you wouldn't mind sharing, was the bass done with the AxeFX as well and if so what patch/IRs were used? They really round out that guitar tone well. Thank you!

Rocco, if you wouldn't mind sharing, was the bass done with the AxeFX as well and if so what patch/IRs were used? They really round out that guitar tone well. Thank you!
thanks man! yeah sure here it is! keep in mind I usually process the bass in the DAW a bit, mainly adding compression/limiting and tweaking the eq depending on the song..I use this patch all the time though so it should be a good starting point

Attachments

• SVT DIRT BASS.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
Finally got a chance to update my XL to Q4 and take this preset for a spin yesterday. Sounds fantastic but I was having an issue with noise on the preset. Couldn't seem to get rid of it no matter what I did. Even added a Gate block. Weird.

Here's the patch[...] I'll add some screenshots for the non-XL+ users!

Wow man, great performance! Big thanks to you for sharing the guitar and bass presets!
The screenshots are no longer needed since we have Fractool to conveniently convert presets for our devices in a breeze, I'll put your presets converted to Axe2 Mark I/II and AX8, enjoy!

Attachments

• RAW PLEXI 6550(AxeFx II).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 28
  • SVT DIRT BASS(AxeFx II).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
  • RAW PLEXI 6550(AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
  • SVT DIRT BASS(AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
I listened to the original and this one is far better. Great job. I would love to play along to this song. Off to find the backing track.

Back
Top Bottom