fw 7.0 Essential Low Gain Tones

I'm in a cover band which covers The Eagles, Skynyrd, and several other low to mid gain bands. I have only had my AX 8 for a bout a week, so I am still looking for these tones myself. So far I have had some success with the Twin Reverb model, the JTM45 model, and the Matchless DC30.

1959 plexi with the tv cab. I think it's cab #103. Morgan AC20 with the matching blue cab. I also really like the Carol Ann Triptik Classic preset that comes with the unit.

Yep just found a gorgeous clean tone. Brit JTM45, gain around 2.5 (just a tiny bit of push when diggin in on the bridge pickup), bass around 3, mids down around 4.5, treble up just a bit around 5.5, presence up a bit more around 6-6.5, adjust level to taste. Using the free Ownhammer Mesa V30 OH1 quick start cab. The new Optical 1 compressor with stock settings, mix down to 50%, adjust level to taste. 2290 mod delay stock settings with EQ high cut down to 8k. Medium Room reverb mix to taste. Wow.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will def try these.

So far I have had really good results with the Dr Z Route 66 Model. Can't recall what exact cabs I used but they were from the 212 Celestion V30 and G12H Anniversary packs. I think it was the all mics all room IRs.

Also a Fender Twin with the Factory Double Verb IR. 91 I think. With the tried and true TS808(TS9) model in front of it.

So far FW7 has me floored!

Great thread guys!... I think this area really gets over looked and this is one of the harder sounds to reproduce IMO,..

There's an art to getting great -light to medium breakup , with loads of dynamics. It's the place I want to be. I'll be looking for suggestions as well.
Pickups will explain a lot of preferences too.
In the past , I'll try to find an amp and settings to produce the slightest breakup ( almost clean with guitar volume rolled back ) , the have a drive block in front , for another scene , to bring grit up to the next level.
I'm a newbie , having only had my AX8 a little over a year , and now with the new 7.0 ........

Here's one that 2112 / RagDoll posted,.. I tweaked it just a bit, but the first 30 seconds or so is kind of in that wheel house (?) It's based on the Bogner amp...

Here's one that 2112 / RagDoll posted,.. I tweaked it just a bit, but the first 30 seconds or so is kind of in that wheel house (?) It's based on the Bogner amp...

That is a nice low gain tone for sure. I'll check that out too!

TL;DR: Pick a clean tone you like, then pick a drive pedal that gives you the right character, then set the drive levels between the amp & drive blocks to put you at the level you want to be. Make magic.
'

I'm playing through a traditional cab, so not sure if it translates well into an IR, but I've been having a lot of fun with the CA3+Clean (stock settings, actually) paired with a couple different drives... So far I think I'm using the tape drive, keeps it a clean tone but makes it a lot bloomier/bigger, a ruckus to juuuust barely break up, a face fuzz in a middle ground area and a zen drive to go into more of a real crunch. Really been loving it.

I think tomorrow, or maybe tonight...I'll try to find a single amp model instead that I can do the scene controller on the input drive trick instead, see what happens.

Basically I just scrolled through a bunch of clean amps until I found the clean tone I wanted, then rolled through a bunch of drives until I had the breakup/crunch tones I wanted. It was all in an effort to flesh out my main high-gain preset into one big useable/giggable preset, so now I have the clean, 4 different drives, and high-gain, along with verb/delay/chorus all in a preset. Granted, there are certain combinations where the reverb dumps, but I've taken no steps to mitigate that. Pretty good I'd say. Oh and there's a cab block active even though I'm running into an amp...I have it set up so I can always record that direct out with an IR while I'm monitoring through my cab.

Wow! The Capt Hook 2A is awesome! Never heard of this amp before.

Medium gain JTM45 is money as well! Amazing how cool and "splatty" it gets with a Fuzz Face(default settings) in front of it for a boost when you need it. Little bit of that new Optical 1 compressor with default settings and 50% mix. With cabs 57 and 149, low cut at 80 and high cut at 7500. Too much fun. Weeee

Amp settings below

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom