FW 6.02 Scene Switching Delay

ssmorga78

Experienced
Has anyone else had an issue with Scene switching delays? I haven't ever had an issue, but I was playing live tonight and had 1 preset that every time I tried to switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2 there was a 3 second delay in sound. I have never had this happen before......anyone else experiencing this? I used 3 other presets tonight, but only had this issue with 1 of them. I am not sure if maybe it's a really CPU intense preset and if that may be causing the issue???? I believe that the CPU useage is sitting at 82-84% in that preset.

Attachments

• 2-3_This Is Living Now.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Is it really 3 seconds? That's a really long delay... Are you changing X/Y states on your Amp block(s) during the scene change? Whether or not the said block is active...

Yes, I am changing x/y blocks on the amp.....but it's the same amp, just different input drive amounts. I mean, I could use a Scene Controller to accomplish the same thing because that is all that is changing, but my other presets do the same thing..... I just don't know why this one is acting all crazy.

And it wouldn't be quiet as bad if it wasn't a complete sound drop out while switching from Scene 1 to Scene 2...... I could deal with just a lag in the effects kicking in, but I get dead silence!!!!

Never heard of a 3 seconds gap. Are you sure it's not in the 1.5 sec range? Anyways, scene controlers will fix it.

Lol, ok...ok...ok....maybe it is around 1.5-2.0 seconds, but when playing live and scene switching from verse scene to pre-chorus and your song is at 124 bpm and the pre-chorus only lasts 2 measures.....it feels like I am missing half the pre-chorus.

Do you have hold-for-XY enabled? If not, you might simply be holding the scene footswitch too long (unintentionally). It's surprising how easy it is to do that - I always disable hold/XY during live gigs where I don't need the feature.

That combined with switching amp XY and high CPU usage makes a 1.5 second "gap" believable.

I get a 1.5-second dropout when switching scenes on your preset. It's the Amp X/Y that's killing it, compounded by the fact that you're running with dangerously high CPU. If I delete a block to get the CPU down a few points, the dropout goes down to about 2/3 of a second.

You've got the same amp type for both X and Y. If you use a Scene Controller to change the gain, you can get rid of the Y side and have instant scene changes.

Yes, I am changing x/y blocks on the amp.....but it's the same amp, just different input drive amounts. I mean, I could use a Scene Controller to accomplish the same thing because that is all that is changing, but my other presets do the same thing..... I just don't know why this one is acting all crazy.
I have found that it doesn't matter if X and Y use the same amp model. There is still a gap...

I too am experiencing the same gap between scenes no matter if its just 1 effect change or amp or X/Y amp or simply turning on a filter set to null for a volume boost, there is an annoying gap and disengaging the X/Y up down parameter makes no difference. What I did find is I have been connecting a Roland GR-55 to be controlled by the AXE=8 via midi for just program change and unplugging the midi cable there is less of a gap but still a gap. Like others have suggested, it is a trait of the AXE- 8 that we have to live with.

Make sure you don't have AX8-Edit running. It will cause additional delays and glitches when changing presets or scenes because it's polling the unit for all of the parameter values to display.

Looks like a lot of your X/Y changes use the same models and have minor changes. Use scene controllers instead to change the parameters directly and it will be totally seamless.

You can assign the same scene controller to several different parameters at once, even in different blocks. If you set the scene controller to either all the way up or all the way down for each scene, you can then use the MIN and Max values of each parameter's modifier to set the desired value for each state. Because each parameter has it's own modifier, the same controller can supply very different values as you change scenes. Min is the value used when the controller is at its lowest and Max is the value used when the controller is at its highest. Min can also be higher than Max to make the controller work backwards as well. For change combinations that are always used together, use the same scene controller. This all works the same way for the other controller types as well (LFO, Sequencer, External, etc.)

For example, say you want to get a clean and a dirty sound from one amp. Assign one of the scene controllers to both the amp gain and output volume parameters. For scene 1 set the controller all the way down, and for scene 2 set it all the way up. In the modifier for the gain parameter, set Min to a low value for the clean tone and set Max to a high value for the dirty tone. In the modifier for the output parameter, set Min to the output level needed to make the clean sound loud enough and set Max to the output level need to make the dirty sound balance correctly with the clean. If you have effects parameter changes that are used only with one tone or the other like delay levels or feedback or whatever, you can assign those to the same scene controller as well. There's only two scene controllers, but you can have each assigned to a dozen different blocks and parameters using this method.

I've linked to a recording several times now that demonstrates scene changes with absolutely no gap.

Most XY changes will not cause any gap, especially if you test by automating the change with MIDI. Amp XY is the notable exception.

Remember that you can use both Scene Controllers and Control Switches to make block adjustments per scene.

I too am experiencing the same gap between scenes...simply turning on a filter set to null for a volume boost, there is an annoying gap and disengaging the X/Y up down parameter makes no difference.
What might be throwing you is the fact that, by default, the AX8 footswitches take effect when you release them, not when you stomp them. That's so it can detect press-and-hold.

When engaging a filter, I get no audio dropout at all—I can play right through the change.

Last edited:
I had a delay also using amp x/y. It was not anywhere near 3 seconds but still annoying. My amp x/y was also using the same amp but with different gain and volume settings. I changed it from amp x/y to using a CTL switch 1 to accomplish the same thing and now no gap at all.

Another trick is to pan between the two sides of a dual delay instead of using two delay blocks or XY switching. Treat the Left and Right sides like separate delays and pan your input to the side you want active. You get seamless spillover between them with no pitch warps because the same block is active the whole time and each side has it's own separate delay line. The only limit is both sides share the same EQ and mod settings and the input to each delay has to be mono. There's only one mix for the block, but each side has it's own wet level and pan controls. Lets you have something like short slapback and long subtle delay with lots of feedback and you can switch between them seamlessly with just one delay block.

Last edited:
Yea, my patches became much more bassy also 6.02. I have to have the bass and muds down more and treble up which is making it sound much more thin.

Back
Top Bottom