Wish FW 3.08 - 1st anniversary firmware update

painkiller

Experienced
Since the MFC firmware 3.08 has its first anniversary in a few days (is there any other Fractal Audio firmware which survived such a long time???:D), I wish for a 1st anniversary firmware update which includes some of the features which were suggested this sub-forum ;):)

Last edited:
But sometimes you can make it more perfect :D
IMO there are a lot of great suggestion in this sub-forum. I would use these suggested functions (in no particular order):

- hold function for bank up/down (to prevent unintended bank switching)
- more scene toggle functions (not just toggle 1/2... also 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, etc.)
- scrolling display if preset name is longer than the display
- show tap tempo while pushing tempo switch
- freely asign switches (chose for every switch separately if its "preset" or "IA")
- alternative scene (depends on how this would be solved)
- No "X" in Axe-Fx mode

Last edited:
- scrolling display if preset name is longer than the display
- show tap tempo while pushing tempo switch
- No "X" in Axe-Fx mode

+1

I'm new to MFC-101... loving it so far. Rather than start a new thread, has there ever been discussion about a "return" IA assignable function? Almost an X/Y between current and last preset and/or scene? I'm thinking about the jump button on many TV remotes that allow you to toggle between 2 channels.

The fact that there have been no MFC101 updates in a year kind of suggests that no further updates are going to be forthcoming. Seems like it is what it is at this point. Which is somewhat of a shame since it seems like there are plenty of other features that could be added. But maybe the physical limits of the unit have been reached development-wise?
-
Austin

That's a very logical conclusion. Let's not lose sight though of the fact that thousands of new MFC-101 users are added to the customer base every year, adding to the clamor for some of these features. So while the clamor hasn't been sufficient to result in changes thus far, I wouldn't bet my own money that a firmware update is impossible. Disclaimer: I am not party to information indicating an imminent firmware update. I'm just saying ...

FAS has been very focused on new product releases over this last year - XL+, AX8, EV-1, many Cab Packs and other software apps & plugins - all things that are their core business. I think its more about focusing their finite resources on those things most important to their customers and the marketplace. I wouldn't be surprised to see some attention paid to the MFC-101 now that they've got their product lineup filled out a bit.

+1

I'm new to MFC-101... loving it so far. Rather than start a new thread, has there ever been discussion about a "return" IA assignable function? Almost an X/Y between current and last preset and/or scene? I'm thinking about the jump button on many TV remotes that allow you to toggle between 2 channels.
Maybe not exactly what you want, but check out Alternate Presets...

Ah, MFC, Cliff's unloved stepchild. Sometimes it feels like it was made by some third party contractor, not FA themselves. Come to think of it, what comes to mind when you see a Fractal Audio product? Several things:

1. It's the best of the best, both in terms of features and build quality. Can we say this about the MFC? No. It's good for what it does, no doubt, but far from the best. And when I started using mine, I was somewhat shocked even by some assembly quality issue.
2. It's constantly and proactively improved through updates. There's no trace of this "they already buy enough of those, so why bother" attitude typical of so many other companies. Is this an MFC story? Not really.
3. It's flexible like nothing else, and no feature is left half-baked. MFC? Think Set/Song mode. Or flexible assignment of IA switches. You can set external switch functions per preset, but it doesn't apply to the built-in switches. Really?

Granted, when it comes to MIDI gear, you rarely see anything truly stellar for some reason. Maybe it's a matter of chips that don't offer much in terms of functionality due to low volumes. But I doubt it's an unsurmountable hurdle though, it looks more like lack of interest...

Ah, MFC, Cliff's unloved stepchild. Sometimes it feels like it was made by some third party contractor, not FA themselves. Come to think of it, what comes to mind when you see a Fractal Audio product? Several things:

1. It's the best of the best, both in terms of features and build quality. Can we say this about the MFC? No. It's good for what it does, no doubt, but far from the best. And when I started using mine, I was somewhat shocked even by some assembly quality issue.
2. It's constantly and proactively improved through updates. There's no trace of this "they already buy enough of those, so why bother" attitude typical of so many other companies. Is this an MFC story? Not really.
3. It's flexible like nothing else, and no feature is left half-baked. MFC? Think Set/Song mode. Or flexible assignment of IA switches. You can set external switch functions per preset, but it doesn't apply to the built-in switches. Really?

Granted, when it comes to MIDI gear, you rarely see anything truly stellar for some reason. Maybe it's a matter of chips that don't offer much in terms of functionality due to low volumes. But I doubt it's an unsurmountable hurdle though, it looks more like lack of interest...

Well part of the problem might be that there is nothing better than the MFC101 at its price point. If you want something that fixes all the "problems" with the MFC101, then you're paying at least $1450 for a RJM GT16. Still it would be nice to get a confirmation that the MFC101 is dead in terms of further development if that is indeed the case.
-
Austin

there is nothing better than the MFC101 at its price point.

Maybe, but that's again not what you say about a typical Fractal product. Axe FX isn't the best at a certain "price point", it's just the best, and the price point is secondary.

Maybe, but that's again not what you say about a typical Fractal product. Axe FX isn't the best at a certain "price point", it's just the best, and the price point is secondary.

Well, for example, there are Axe FX features that were clearly inspired by developments on directly competing platform (i.e. Kemper). There is no direct competitor to the MFC101 to drive such improvements.
-
Austin

Still it would be nice to get a confirmation that the MFC101 is dead in terms of further development if that is indeed the case.

A confirmation that an MFC-202 is in the works and it will be a killer would be better. :) And I personally don't care how much it costs.

Or a Quantum firmware update. ;)

Because yeah, there are better controllers, but I do like the AFX integration in the MFC. And I don't really care for those scribble strips, they are totally useless to me, my vision isn't perfect and I don't see anything on those crappy displays anyway. The flexibility and power are another matter. But I'd be happy to stay with Fractal if possible.

*BUMP*

Since the 2nd anniversary of the latest MFC-101 firmware is in a few weeks, I thought it is about time to bump this thread :D :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom