FW:- 2.02 and " Default 0 " Harmonics settings ...... what does it *now* mean ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Apologies upfront if this has been answered in another thread, but as I haven't been able to find if it has, here goes.

The following are the factory default Harmonics values for FW 2.01 for a selection of amps at their factory defualt - and Fractal confirmed that the following 2.01 Harmoncis settings were correct for 2.01

- Fender Deluxe Tweed has it set to " 0 " by default
- AC20 EF86 has it set to "0" by default
- AC30 TB has it set to " 0.75 " by default
- Plexi 50w Hi has it set to "0.530" by default
- Dirty Shirley has it set to "0.480" by default
- Tucana has it set to "0" by default
- Atomica has it set to "0" by default
- Triptik has it set to "0" by default

With FW 2.02 all amps - incl those above - are now factory default set to " 0 ".

So ....... using 2 specific amps to explain ....... my question / confusion is as follows

In FW 2.01, the Fender Deluxe Tweed was " 0 " by default and the Plexi 50w Hi was " 0.530 " by default ..... now in FW 2.02 the Fender Deluxe Tweed is still " 0 " by default however the FW 2.02 Plexi 50w Hi is now " 0 " by default

=> how do we correlate one amp being " 0 " in both FW's whilst another amp is " 0.530 " in the prior FW and "0" in the current FW ?

ie: with the Tweed being " 0 " in 2.01 and " 0 " in 2.02 does that mean that it has the same harmonic sonic content for each FW (?) ....... and ....... if the Plexi 50w Hi FW 2.01 was correct at " 0.530 " does that mean that on FW 2.02 it now has more / less / same harmonic sonic content with it now set to " 0 " (?)

As I wrote previously, as always I am guided by my ears, but it is very helpful to know what the factory most accurate / most-ideal-model setting is ...... and it made sense to me in 2.01 but with them all now at " 0 " with 2.02 ..... what happens to the actual Harmonic content of my amp settings when I load up my 2.01 presets in to 2.02 ..... will the Harnmonic sonic content be more / less / same / out-of-whack ....... (?)

Hoping I have explained this sensibly :)

Ben

In the 2.02 topic when cliff explained, I understood that 0 became the reference point, but for each amp it's set to the "best" value.
I mean 0.530 became 0, once the spot found, so it should be set the same "heard" way in the two FW.

Those technical points are really hard for me to get, but I may be right ^^

In the 2.02 topic when cliff explained, I understood that 0 became the reference point, but for each amp it's set to the "best" value.
I mean 0.530 became 0, once the spot found, so it should be set the same "heard" way in the two FW.

Those technical points are really hard for me to get, but I may be right ^^

Hey - kind of what I thought to ...... however ..... using the Plexi example ..... in 2.01 ..... you could go from 0.530 default and go closer to 0 and thereby make it noticeably tighter / more modern / more "attacky" etc ....... now with 2.02 it is set to 0 by default, so does that mean you now cant make it more tighter / more modern / more "attacky" -or- that [ more "attacky" sound ] is now the new "correct" ?

I know it sounds weird, but is very confusing to get a "reference point" so to speak.

I don't have my axefx before hand, but can't you go below 0 ?
Maybe -0.4 would be the same as old 0.13 :)

I don't have my axefx before hand, but can't you go below 0 ?
Maybe -0.4 would be the same as old 0.13 :)

no. values available are 0 to 1

Yep ..... these are exactly the sorts of things I'm getting at .....

...... if from 2.01 to 2.02 the Harmonics vales which were correct in 2.01 were simply increased or decreased or changed to a percentage etc..... by a set-across-the-board value ....... then thats easy to follow and make sense

....... but .........

what was individually-amp-specific-and-unique-and-correct in 2.01 is now numerically-value-and-range-different in 2.02 ....... and ..... its now identical-for-all-amps in 2.02 ......

So from [my] user perspective ........ there is (a) no logical relationship between the two (b) they are a different value and range and (c) I have no idea how a correct 2.01 preset value from 2.01 will migrate over to a new differnet 2.02 value ....... result [for me] ........ I have no idea what the factory/ideal reference point is in 2.02 cmpared to the 2.01 correct values :)

Im sure Fractal knows what they are doing ...... but it very hard to follow from correct-prior-FW to current FW.

Im starting to wonder if this is why some are hearing so much differnece between 2.01 presets played in 2.02 ?

Ben

Last edited:
Okay, so nevermind my answer trial :) I'm sorry I tried to know without the FW before my eyes.

Just twist the knobs until it sounds good :) Honestly, I don't really understand all the fuss over all these little settings but then again, I'm a lowly metalhead, I don't use any in-between gain stuff, it's either brutal over the top gain or none! I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between Quantum 1.0 to 2.02.

I think the only issue/problem/annoyance is that in 2.01 - values that were say 0.530 could be reduced to say 4.0 if that sounded/reacted better to the users ears. Now, with everything defaulted to 0 - even though there model specific, you cant reduce their values. You can of course still increase them.

In practice Im sure theres no issue - personally Ive never changed this parameter from default anyway. I guess its just that we were given the option to increase/decrease this parameter - now we can only increase it. Feels like somethings been taken away even though in practice we wouldnt need to do that anyway.

Just twist the knobs until it sounds good :) Honestly, I don't really understand all the fuss over all these little settings ...

I can only speak for myself, but in this case the fuss is due to the fact that this knob is a new feature. I want to understand what it does. Presumably FAS doesn't just put new features in willly-nilly, so it must be useful for something that the other knobs aren't. When you have something as tweakable as the AFX, it is really helpful to understand how and what to tweak to get the tone you are after.

I think it might also be really useful to have a way to set the amp block back to recommended defaults; currently it seems like some get set to a recommendation (e.g. Presence on 3.00) but others are either at 0, 5 or 10 but clearly that isn't what's recommended (e.g. the bass knob).

If the goal is really for us to be using this tool to reproduce authenticity, it would be great to have as the starting point as close to authentic in at least the parts of the amp that would be hidden from the user. Then we can stray as needed. I wouldn't even mind having the exposed parts like the tone controls reflect a typical use case. If resetting the amp block got us that, it might be better.

All i know i had 2.01 installed, tried my plexi patch at 0, was at like 5 or something... played a bit, then installed 2.02 and it instantly sounded better, but different than just turning down to 0 before, and it's now at zero.

Back
Top Bottom