FW 19 vs Quantum Amp Shootout

SeasonOfPain

Inspired
Inspired by a posting on the Quantum announcement thread, I decided to do some recorded comparisons of the default settings of multiple amp models, reamped first through fw 19 and then, after updating, through Quantum 1.0.

Each track was recorded using a '96 Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus on the bridge pickup, with volume and tone at max. I then reamped each patch using the default block settings (chose "Reset Block" for each before reamping), each using factory cab 59. For each clip, the first section is fw 19, followed by the same track reamped using fw Quantum 1.0.

No normalization or compression was used in the DAW (Cubase 8), only a dithering plugin to get it down to 44.1/16. Some amps were louder than others in both firmwares.

MID-GAIN:

Plexi 50w High

Brit AFS-100 2

Friedman HBE

HIGH GAIN:

Angle Severe 2

Dizzy V4 Silver 4

5153 100W Red

Recto1 Red Mdrn
(note that this is NOT Recto2, which Cliff has noted has a bug imparting excessive gain in Q1.0)

Hope some find this useful; it seems obvious to me that different amps are reacting differently after the update at stock settings.

Thank you! Excellent job! I really hear the diff now. The adjective Presence or Aliveness describes my experience of the Quantum sound.

Thanks for posting Im still catching up 640 something scenes to double check and fix and back up.

When I do FW update patches and scenes both have internal changes
so I have to check 640 something scenes to fix save then back up again first.
bank c has 128 amps all different it takes awhile to fix those.

Im going to wait till Quantum is fully settled.
I said that about 19.4 though too then 20 and then Quantum drops.
cant keep up..

I must have axe edit and knowing that makes me want a laptop just for the axe itself
as Id be lost trying to go from front panel on this..

to Quote Austin Powers "Ill Stay"

Inspired by a posting on the Quantum announcement thread, I decided to do some recorded comparisons of the default settings of multiple amp models, reamped first through fw 19 and then, after updating, through Quantum 1.0. (SNIP)

Thanks for doing this. I'm very impressed. So much more presence and low end harmonics in the sound now. Makes the fw19 sound weak in comparison.

Thanks for the comparison.

TBH for me Quantum is not about differences / improvements in recorded tones. I think that the recorded Quantum clips above could also be achieved with some EQ-ing.

To me Q is about interaction and response, between fingers / guitar / Axe-Fx. Maybe more 'real' but certainly more natural.

Inspired by a posting on the Quantum announcement thread, I decided to do some recorded comparisons of the default settings of multiple amp models, reamped first through fw 19 and then, after updating, through Quantum 1.0.

Each track was recorded using a '96 Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus on the bridge pickup, with volume and tone at max. I then reamped each patch using the default block settings (chose "Reset Block" for each before reamping), each using factory cab 59. For each clip, the first section is fw 19, followed by the same track reamped using fw Quantum 1.0.

No normalization or compression was used in the DAW (Cubase 8), only a dithering plugin to get it down to 44.1/16. Some amps were louder than others in both firmwares.

MID-GAIN:

Plexi 50w High

Brit AFS-100 2

Friedman HBE

HIGH GAIN:

Angle Severe 2

Dizzy V4 Silver 4

5153 100W Red

Recto1 Red Mdrn
(note that this is NOT Recto2, which Cliff has noted has a bug imparting excessive gain in Q1.0)

Hope some find this useful; it seems obvious to me that different amps are reacting differently after the update at stock settings.

Good work and good clips, but I hear only a difference of volume, and not much in dynamic, eq,drive, compression or other.
In tests I've done directly on my Axe I noticed that the Amp Block has increased loudness (I have to turn down the out volume otherwise it clips). Depth, Presence and Master volume parameters act differently than previous versions ( I like it ).

Last edited:
Mid gain amps sound better in Quantum. The high gain were almost the same. I like the new FW better overall.

Yes, the most immediately apparent difference to me is the increased loudness for a given amp block at default settings. I almost level-matched the two clips for each amp, but wanted a more baseline comparison (i.e. as few variables as possible). There is a feel thing going on, too, an increase in "chewiness" (I can feel it and even hear it a bit in the pick attack in the higher gain staccato riffs). I wish I'd had time to also do some clean amps, as I'm curious if changes in dynamics or other character would have been more apparent; perhaps someone else can try a comparison.

I have played a bit with some of the other basic settings, and they have subtly changed in how they react. A few changes are more evident: master volume seems to have a much more pronounced effect (it used to cause more flub for me, now seems to impart more natural compression). I also find myself needing to engage Cut much less often on many amps, which seems to imply the bass has tightened up some.

Hey Yek and, since I am such a big fan of your all your presets, I am curious .Does this FW change necessitate the creation of a new batch?

Hey Yek and, since I am such a big fan of your all your presets, I am curious .Does this FW change necessitate the creation of a new batch?

Not really. I applied some other changes but very few changes in the amp model parameters.

All these tones sound really good! That would mean that FW19 was also pretty damn good sounding. I don't know about you guys but after balancing the volume on those clips I wasn't sure which was FW19 and which was Quantum, the first or second part of the audio sample. No worries though since both sound really good! :)

All these tones sound really good! That would mean that FW19 was also pretty damn good sounding. I don't know about you guys but after balancing the volume on those clips I wasn't sure which was FW19 and which was Quantum, the first or second part of the audio sample. No worries though since both sound really good! :)

Yes, it seems so far that, after level adjustments, the audible differences in recordings are more subtle, compared to the more obvious improvements in feel when playing. I definitely think that it's easier to adjust the params to get to the same desired point. If FW 19 was "real", then perhaps we should indeed label Q1.0 "more realer, faster". :)

Was the Mark IV clip that you posted in the announcements thread adjusted to match levels? I couldn't honestly hear that much difference myself.

Yes, it seems so far that, after level adjustments, the audible differences in recordings are more subtle, compared to the more obvious improvements in feel when playing. I definitely think that it's easier to adjust the params to get to the same desired point. If FW 19 was "real", then perhaps we should indeed label Q1.0 "more realer, faster". :)

Was the Mark IV clip that you posted in the announcements thread adjusted to match levels? I couldn't honestly hear that much difference myself.

I think with that model the volume stayed pretty much the same and therefore... there wasn't much of a difference. I "think" I immediately felt that the guitar tone was brighter but when I recorded that clip it was pretty much identical. The low end was a tad tighter but if someone hadn't told me it was a different FW I'm not sure I would've noticed the difference.

Thanks for doing this SeasonOfPain.

I'm also hearing the most obvious difference in the mid-gain amps. Not hearing so much difference in the Angle; and only a slight difference in the 5153.

On the others, the Quantum sounds fuller, and more dynamic. These aren't band mixes, but they sound to me like the Quantum versions would cut through better than the V19's. Although I thought V19 sounded good, a couple of weeks ago, it does sound a little more one-dimensional, in hindsight, compared to the newer beta FW.

Just goes to show, there's always something better around the corner.

I don't know what it is, exactly, but when I first played through the latest "Quantum" FW, I noticed this kind of wavering or flutter in the low end. This is primarily noticeable (to me) when playing chords. I figured it was just my preset or some setting that I haven't looked at yet, but I also hear it in these "Shootout" recordings. I would compare it to the effect you get when talking into a rotating fan and you get choppy reflections, only more subtle. Can anyone else hear this?

I could definitely hear more 'clarity' between the clips (something occasionally referred to 'blacker blacks and whiter whites'). My ears can be tricked just as easily as the next persons, but if I had to hazard a guess: I would say this revised algorithm has a better slew rate for lack of a better use of jargon.

Back
Top Bottom