FW 13 - Hiwatt Clean(ish) with OH UltraRes 4x12 Fane IR

The bass sounds more natural and less like its in a box?

That's kind of how I feel. I actually picked this particular amp because I wanted to see how the high-end sounded. I know UR was supposed to mostly make the bass more natural, but I swear that the high end is a lot clearer, too. This patch was originally setup for the non UR Fane 4x12 OH IR, and it feels a lot brighter with UltraRes.

We all said the same thing during beta test. The only conclusion we could come to was that the increased resolution in the bass and mids gives the illusion that the high end is clearer.

I've actually been giving some thought to this over the last week because I'm a bit perplexed about the whole thing. I think the problem with traditional IRs is that the bass and mids get "cluttered" due to formant smearing. UltraRes gets rid of this smearing resulting in overall clearer tone.

Nice sounding example!

I think the problem with traditional IRs is that the bass and mids get "cluttered" due to formant smearing. UltraRes gets rid of this smearing resulting in overall clearer tone.

Not trying to start a debate but I wonder if the feedback I got from some NY studio cats about a different brand's low end sounding "a little weird" is related to this.

We all said the same thing during beta test. The only conclusion we could come to was that the increased resolution in the bass and mids gives the illusion that the high end is clearer.

I've actually been giving some thought to this over the last week because I'm a bit perplexed about the whole thing. I think the problem with traditional IRs is that the bass and mids get "cluttered" due to formant smearing. UltraRes gets rid of this smearing resulting in overall clearer tone.

Makes sense. I'm glad ears other than mine are hearing similar things. The best analogy I can make (as much as I hate to use this cliche) is that it's like taking a blanket off the speakers.

Hey can you upload this patch to Axe change!! It sounds amazing!! Im a Axe-fx newb so I'm still learning how to set up tones.

Beautiful playing

Thanks- Dave

Someone was asking me today about the whole "smearing" thing so I produced this plot:

UltraRes.jpg

This is a zoom on one of those UltraRes IRs included with the firmware. The abscissa is 100 Hz to 1 kHz. The green trace would be a normal resolution IR. Note how the peaks and valleys are all smoothed off. This smears the formants. UltraRes preserves those formants. Some of those peaks are over a dB and they are totally lost on the normal IR.

Someone was asking me today about the whole "smearing" thing so I produced this plot:

UltraRes.jpg

This is a zoom on one of those UltraRes IRs included with the firmware. The abscissa is 100 Hz to 1 kHz. The green trace would be a normal resolution IR. Note how the peaks and valleys are all smoothed off. This smears the formants. UltraRes preserves those formants. Some of those peaks are over a dB and they are totally lost on the normal IR.
Thanks Cliff !!! that's all I needed to see, ordering the OH Ultra Res Cab Pack now !!!!

I don't know all the physics and technical jim-jam behind it, but I do know about the harmonic series and sonic vibration. If the lows and the mids are "cluttered" or not represented well, then your top end is going to suffer because all that extra information is jamming up the works up in the higher partials. If all that extra sonic information is fighting for space, your notes and chords can't tune themselves to the "universal vibration".... duuuuuude....

Finally got to update and yes I can tell a definite improvement in the highs as well as the lows. In my recto lead patch it almost sounds like the gain was turned down a notch because it clears up somewhat. Sounds amazing.

I wonder if the feedback I got from some NY studio cats about a different brand's low end sounding "a little weird" is related to this.

I'm surprised more people don't hear that. I can pick it out a mile away.

I agree, you're exactly right. I originally posted about this over a year ago. Studio engineer friends were discussing the odd thing in the low end response of another product that irked them.

UltraRes.jpg

That's a great visual representation of the significant information that the UltraRes IRs preserves, and lost information that can potentially create audible artifacts.

Cliff, I applaud the continual advances made in the engineering that goes into your products.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom