FW 13.02 Help, I can't get away from it!

is9582

Power User
Wow, can't even find the words to describe the sonic difference. I've been stuck playing 59 Bassguy for the last couple of hours. Haha. I engaged the Drive block (stock Bender Fuzz settings), Delay block (stock Digital Stereo, which could be a problem I suppose) and loaded the new OH_112_DLX_ALN-SLV_Studio-Modern.syx UltraRes IR and OMG! What a wonderful depth and tone. I kept swapping back and forth between the new IR and the stock associate IR, and this is simple amazing. I am playing through some small M-Audio BX5a powered monitors, so YMMV, but there are tons of tones in there to please!

I'll need the next couple of years to make it through all of the presets. Haha.

Cheers,

Lee:lol

Last edited:
Good to hear that folks are really stoked about sound and feel of the amps and cabinets, due to the latest FW updates and the OH UltraRes IR's.

I'm came from the line6 POD world and sold off the HD500, a Variax 500 guitar, and a small vintage Fender tube amp this week to make more room (and funds) for an AxeFx ll XL. I hope the wait is not too long to experience the sounds people are raving over. Looks like may have picked a good time to move over to the Fractal AxeFx world.

Wild Bill

I had a line6 unit for a number of years, and it was ok, for the time. I bought the Ultra when that was the big bad beast and there was really no comparison to the POD at all. When the AxeFX II came out, I found a way to get one as soon as I was reached on the waiting list of that time. It truly is the best thing I've ever played through. I still have my Mesa Boogie and a couple of Marshalls, but they've turned into collector's pieces for lack of a better term. I've been extremely happy with the range of tones I can pull out of this little black box. With FW 13, and the UltraRes IRs, I start playing and truly get lost in the music. So wish I'd had this back in the 80s when I was younger, prettier (haha) and ready to slay the stage. You will likely fall in love with it as well. Just learn the unit like you did with any others you've owned and then let your ears guide you. Also, Cliff's notes are a wonderful source for in-depth related info, if you haven't already read them.

Cheers,

Lee

Hey is9582, thanks for your response. Great to hear that you really like Fractal AxeFx units that much that your real amps can sit as collector pieces. I don't currently have access to the Fractal gear so I'm having to trust what I can hear on line. Probably just as important to me, other than the amp sounds, is that touch sensitive feel (sag) of the amps that I really miss. I love being able to dig in with the fingers and get that elastic/spongy feel from the amp.

You have a couple of very nice Marshalls there man. I've owned a couple of small Mesa Boogies myself. A Studio .22 and a Subway Rocket. I owned a Silver Face Fender Super Reverb for a good while. It had the master volume with the pullout for extra gain, but it would flat NOT get distorted. So I'm very interested in hearing that 59 Bassguy amp model you've been playing!

Yes, I have been reading and enjoying Cliff's notes. I've been a mechanic all of my life and like to know in detail how stuff works. I've done some tube amp and distortion pedal mods and still use them currently.

Bill

Spent some hours playing myself and it's really good. Being more of a metal guy I mostly played with the 6150II and the guitarhack sneap impulses and this looks real promising. I don't feel the need to go to advanced parameters anymore, which is a good progress.

Andromalius- I know exactly what you mean. The amps really sound great from the get-go, and the upgraded IRs to UltraRes is candy to my ears. I've historically been more of a metal player (at least the metal from the 80s), but have found such a range of tones in this box that it truly seems to have helped broaden my horizons. Haha. I find it friggin' impressive how much killer stuff is here for what seems like any style, IMHO.

Cheers,

Lee

Wild Bill - I'd bet you can find a number of players in driving distance that have an AxeFX II. Might get someone to let you plug your guitar in so you can see just exactly what it "feels" like. What part of Southern Cali are you in? You wouldn't be the first to ask for a test from the forum. I'm pretty sure I've read on this forum that there is a group of AxeFX owners in the same area. Here is a link you might pursue:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/56570-socal-axe-users-meeting.html

Thanks, I used to work under the name Amp Doctor, basically fixing and modding tube amps. Always enjoyed the detective work needed to root out a problem.

Cheers,

Lee

Hey is9582, thanks for your response. Great to hear that you really like Fractal AxeFx units that much that your real amps can sit as collector pieces. I don't currently have access to the Fractal gear so I'm having to trust what I can hear on line. Probably just as important to me, other than the amp sounds, is that touch sensitive feel (sag) of the amps that I really miss. I love being able to dig in with the fingers and get that elastic/spongy feel from the amp.

You have a couple of very nice Marshalls there man. I've owned a couple of small Mesa Boogies myself. A Studio .22 and a Subway Rocket. I owned a Silver Face Fender Super Reverb for a good while. It had the master volume with the pullout for extra gain, but it would flat NOT get distorted. So I'm very interested in hearing that 59 Bassguy amp model you've been playing!

Yes, I have been reading and enjoying Cliff's notes. I've been a mechanic all of my life and like to know in detail how stuff works. I've done some tube amp and distortion pedal mods and still use them currently.

Bill

Hi Bill,

You will love the combination of FW 13 and UltraRes as the enhanced definition will greatly speed your tone tweaks and help you get to that responsiveness and touch and feel that you crave. :encouragement:

I've been working on a Mesa Subway Blues preset to tweak in "that touch sensitive feel (sag) of the amps," "dig in with the fingers and get that elastic/spongy feel from the amp" too. :)

You certainly picked the right time to join the Factal Academy of Fine Tone cadet! ;)

Hey is9582, thanks for the link to the So Cal Axe Users Meeting thread. I read all the posts there. I hope it was a great turn out. Maybe another meeting will happen again out here. I'm in Cal City, about 20 miles north of Edwards Air force Base. It's about 100 miles or so to LA.

Hey smcrosby, thanks for the response. Sounds like you are also very happy with the latest FW for the Axe Fx ll just as is9582 is. I've gotta try out that Bassman amp soon as I get a chance. Man, I can't hardly wait to get an Axe Fx ll or the XL version. I like the idea of the additional pedal input jack on the XL for both wah and volume control at the same time. I'm also liking the optical control knob and the improved flash memory.

I don't notice a single real guitar tube amp in your ample equipment list other than the Mesa Coliseum series 300 MKllb (V6), which I assume is a rackmount unit? I gather that you're very satisfied with what the Axe Fx ll can deliver concerning ALL your guitar tube amp needs. I'm on the wait list and hoping that new Axe Fx ll and XL units are available soon.

Bill

Will Bill,

If I were you, I might directly contact some of those that were communicating in that thread. Who knows, maybe someone is just around the corner?? Might even send a PM to Mark Day, who is a really super guy. If he can't help you directly, he might point you in the correct direction. Sorry I'm not in the area to let you test mine. Good luck.

Lee

If you're willing to drive down to LA, I'd be more than happy to let you give my axe II a spin.

On the FW 13 note, I spent an hour noodling around before work today, and, I must say, those own hammer ultrares cabs really put a smile on my face. I'm not sure if it was the ultra res or the ownhammer, but to my ears they sounded more real, more chewy, more 3d than the previous cabs I was using, which were mainly the studio mixes than came out a couple firmwares ago. I didn't have one to one, my main virtual cabs previously have varied considerably with the amp, but even apart form the lack of direct apples to apples comparison, I was digging the new stuff.

Bring on more ulrares cabs!

Last edited:
Hey is9583,

Thanks much for taking the time to offer help a new guy as you have, I really appreciate it man! Yes, I have been noting where folks are located in California to contact. A forum member has contacted me with a PM. I may pay a visit to Tone Merchants some time. I went close by there a week ago when I went to the Guitar Center in Hollywood (Sunset Blvd). I didn't have time to stop at Tone Merchants on that trip, plus they want you to have an appointment as they request on their website. I'm aware of Mark Day and Dave Friedman from Tone Merchants youtube videos.

I hope you are still enjoying playing that 59 Bassguy patch on the Axe Fx ll. No doubt about it, I'll have one of those magic boxes soon man!

gdgross, thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you, and I may give you a shout the next time I go to the LA area!

You really gotta do it man. If I were you I wouldn't hold out for the xl, just get a used axe from someone who is upgrading. Save some coin. You will need it for the CLRs, mfc and expression pedals.

BTW, I finally understand what you guys mean by chewy. Spent the last couple of days on the JVM and 6105 (or one of the EVH models) Hiwatt and Matchless DC30. Awesome even without the ur cabs!!

Last edited:
Wild Bill,

Absolutely glad to help. Lots of good folks in the forum, and many are ready to assist. Only reason I didn't mention Tone Merchants was I didn't know with certainty that they had product in stock to try.

I am still enjoying the 59 Bassguy. One thing to note; I had turned down the output, so I didn't interfere with some of the family's activities, and I thought I'd forgotten to save the patch. When I turned it back up (not talking deafening volumes, but above a whisper quiet level) it was back to pulling me in. Some forget just how much the feel changes depending on that factor. I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it, when acquired.

Cheers,

Lee

Just a quick update on this patch. I decided to try changing the choice in the drive block to Zen Master, and it feels/sounds even better, to my ears.
For what it's worth. Go forth and play.

Cheers,

Lee

Back
Top Bottom