FW 13.01uses a lot more CPU

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
It seems that FW13 uses a lot more CPU.
My Drone preset suddenly became unusable.
When trying to switch preset with Axe Edit my unit froze.

Must be something else. 13 does not use much more CPU. In fact, when running mono, switch to UR and CPU is less than before.

If it's not using more CPU, how is it that the meter constantly goes over 96%and I hear the typical noize you get when using too much CPU.

Trust me, yek knows what he's talking about .... It's probably something else ? Have you checked your USB ? That's a CPU eater sometimes ?

Nothing changed in my setup besides upgrading.
I upgraded to FW13.01 and suddenly the CPU is all over theplace and I get the typical noise you get when the CPU is maxed out.
Trust me, I've been using the Axe-FX for long enough to recognize the symptoms.

Must be something else. 13 does not use much more CPU. In fact, when running mono, switch to UR and CPU is less than before.

He could have been right on the edge before. I had one preset that did that. Changing the cab to an UltraRes fixed it and gave me a lot more cpu headroom.

Reset all system parameters
That worked as long as wasn't using USB
Thought is was fixed.
Then I wanted to test the HiRes vs UltraRes
So I loaded The OH V32 in the Cab/Y and the HiRes in Cab/X
So far so good.
Until I started Reaper to record
Snap Crackle and Pop were back
This is the same preset I used to demonstrate the drone
So nothing had changed except the firmware.
So IMHO it's definitely using a bit more CPU

I used a mic in both HiRes IR's.
I didn't before.
Normally that shouldn't add any CPU but it does.
not on the Axe-Fx but in Axe-Edit.
And that's when I get the noise like the CPU is maxed out.

Last edited:
My Axe froze up three times over the last half hour, when switching between presets which are quite elaborate, but I didn't have that before the newest firmware.

Jan

Cant say I have noticed any noticeable change/increase in CPU, but seems the start/boot up takes a second or two longer...

Cant say I have noticed any noticeable change/increase in CPU, but seems the start/boot up takes a second or two longer...

+1 on the Startup times being about twice as long now - but that is still only about 6 or so seconds. My Windows laptop takes about 10 minutes to fully boot up and be usable! :)

OP - Have you tried the 'Reset all presets' option (Utilities -> Presets Tab -> Scroll down to last option -> [Enter]) ?

+1 on the Startup times being about twice as long now - but that is still only about 6 or so seconds. My Windows laptop takes about 10 minutes to fully boot up and be usable! :)

OP - Have you tried the 'Reset all presets' option (Utilities -> Presets Tab -> Scroll down to last option -> [Enter]) ?

the longer start up time happened a few firmwares ago. It is intentional.

my presets with CPU in the low 80's are still there… so I can't say I've noticed a difference..

the magic CPU value to stay below is 90%, and I think it always has been [if you want good controller behaviour]

the magic CPU value to stay below is 90%, and I think it always has been [if you want good controller behaviour]

That is what I have noticed also. Anything above 90% and turning on certain effects like the flanger, harmonizer, reverb, controllers, etc, can cause problems. All my presets were right at the 90 CPU limit before updating and I did notice they are now just a little bit higher. Presets that were at 90 are now 91 or 92. Just enough higher to cause some problems with some of my presets. I only use lo-res mono cabs to save CPU at present. So I'll have to delete another effects block to stay within the usable CPU limit. The 13.02 firmware sounds so good though!

to be honest.. if I see a preset hit 89% I re-evaluate it's config..
maybe figure out a way of using controllers / scenes to sweat a few blocks into one..
even try laying it out differently.. cos that can make a difference of a % or two..

my principle preset is riff, solo, clean, ballad solo, crunch..
I can handle most songs with this one
I have another preset [for one song] where crunch is replaced with an alternate clean

when creating another preset, if I still can't get below 89%, I'll think of the needs of that one specific song that made this preset exist in the first place..
q1 - what tones from the principle preset [which was used as the template to create this one in the first place] are not used in this song?
when I know, these tones get stripped out at the cost of a few blocks, which should be just enough to get me back below 89%
if the answer is none.. then I have a new question..
q2 - where in the song is a good place to make a preset switch back to / from the principle one?
for example… the extra stuff in the new preset is just for an into, but I need to make a seamless transition into my riffing tone..
the remainder of the song can be played with the principle preset..
but I know that there's a moment in that song where I'm silent [even for just a moment]
so the new preset gets just the intro tone and the tone/s from the principle to get me to the gap..
essentially, I'm planning when / where to change preset in the song that'll have the smallest impact to things like reverb / delay tails etc..

ambient scene into with rev / day tails II-- seamless transition ->> riff scene [has almost no reverb]……
band plays a phrasing with a short pause II-- change preset ->> now on the principle to finish the song..
during that preset change I'd have switch from preset x: 'riff' scene to preset 0: 'riff' scene [which of course sound exactly the same]

I'll not change preset mid-song unless there really is no other choice..
If I do however, I'm careful about choosing where and how it happens..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom