FW 12.02 Released

(Update): Just heard back from Fractal's Customer Support. A "Recovery ROM" is in order and on order at the modest cost of $1.00. Thanks Matt!! (Fractal Audio Support) They're going to ship the ROM out to me (via UPS) but at $60.00 and change for shipping and handling a small ROM chip to Canada? Sorry but UPS is a notorious joke.

I created a ticket a while back but so far no reply, sounds like it will be the same for me. I agree about UPS and as usual will have to go to the depot to pick it up myself. But I will do what I have to as I have gigs next week.

Sorry if I put the original post in the wrong place. I figured it was something in my procedure and hoped for help. I didn't mean to scare anyone off the update. It may be an isolated thing.

Shipping to Canada should be done by using USPS, this way there is no brokerage fee of $50. With FedEx and UPS you pay a brokerage fee, all greed and courtesy supplied via a post Sept 11 2001 anthrax mail terrorism. Took me years to figure this nightmare out.

Now when I purchase from USA I make sure they'll ship using USPS or no deal/transaction.

I've read about 4 or 5 install errors now. Coincidence?

+1 - This is why FW updates scare me. I keep up to date but I don't want to do it unless I have to. Actually, I'm surprised this can happen as I thought the install process could back itself out if there is a problem. If it can't, that should be an important feature request.

Does anyone know what this release is? Are pre-12.02 backups any good? / usable? What's the risk of skipping this one?

Maybe it's overkill but when I install FW updates, I shut down everything else running on the computer and shut-off wi-fi. And I never do an AxeFW downgrade which seams really hi-risk to me though others seems flip FW versions back and forth regularly.

Maybe it's overkill but when I install FW updates, I shut down everything else running on the computer and shut-off wi-fi.
IMO, the only thing that matters is the few seconds the Axe is reprogramming the unit (which it should only do if the transmission was good in the first place).
So I would rather keep an eye on people starting the ironing, dishwashing and espresso machine at exact that same time ;)

Good point, though my IT background makes me wary of having significant other machine resources running while delicate midi transfers occur. Making all aspects of the environment as quiet as possible is good practice during FW updates. I even ensure no guitar plugged into the Axe during such updates and dial to patch that uses minimal CPU before starting. Again, overkill, but maybe not as I've always had quick and successful updates on my system.

Yikes. Guess I shoulda read further before diving in. My update went without a hitch, fortunately. Thanks FAS!

Shipping to Canada should be done by using USPS, this way there is no brokerage fee of $50. With FedEx and UPS you pay a brokerage fee, all greed and courtesy supplied via a post Sept 11 2001 anthrax mail terrorism. Took me years to figure this nightmare out.

Now when I purchase from USA I make sure they'll ship using USPS or no deal/transaction.

+1 Fractal needs more shipping options for international buyers.

+1 - This is why FW updates scare me. I keep up to date but I don't want to do it unless I have to. Actually, I'm surprised this can happen as I thought the install process could back itself out if there is a problem. If it can't, that should be an important feature request.

Maybe it's overkill but when I install FW updates, I shut down everything else running on the computer and shut-off wi-fi. And I never do an AxeFW downgrade which seams really hi-risk to me though others seems flip FW versions back and forth regularly.

When I do my firmware updates, (and did in this case as well) I always shut any other program/app down on the computer for obvious reasons (other than the utility Fractal Bot which was used for the update). I also have all my sensitive electronics (computer included) running off of balanced Isolation transformers and voltage regulators. When this occurred (in the middle of the programming stage of the update) there were no spikes or dropouts. As to why it happened... I don't know but it happened in the EXACT same chronological manner as it did with PaulC. I made no system backups to delete under v.12.01. So that wasn't the cause.

Oh, I figured out the nightmare a number of years back as well but when this is the only option to obtain what you need to fix the Axe, I don't have much of a choice in this particular matter. However, I did complain about the shipping (very nicely understanding I know it's a UPS shipping calculator) I heard back from Fractal Support (after the purchase of the ROM) and without divulging too much, shipping is being significantly decreased for me by way of a different shipping service. I do wish they would use a different courier service for international shipping... period. Even FedEx isn't as bad as UPS with brokerage rates (based on my experiences). Still can be bad but FedEx is definitely the lesser of the two evils.

And I do want to make a HUGE shout out to Fractal's Support. Best customer service bar-none. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Every product upgrade has a small risk associated with it. I am sure my issue was caused by something unexpected in the chain of events of the upgrade unique to me system. I would think if there was something wrong with the build they would have removed it by now. I have never had an issue before now with any update and have faithfully kept up with them all. It may be that there is a small window of opportunity where these kind of things are possible and my bad luck had it happen to me. With their track record, I am sure FAS works hard behind the scenes to identify these and tighten up the chain.

The good news is that we can count on this company to care, stand by their product and respond with solutions.

I’ve installed all of the firmware updates since 1.02, some more than once. I just counted and I have 48 different firmwares for the Axe-Fx II (Cliff's been busy). I’m guessing I’ve done at least 60 firmware updates to my Axe-FX and I’ve only had 3 small issues. Twice when I rebooted the Axe-Fx the screen came up blank with all of the lights on. Both times I just rebooted again and everything was fine. One other time when I was using Axe-Edit, the connection to the Axe-Fx dropped in the middle of the update. That time I waited about 5 to 10 minutes and then rebooted the Axe-Fx to find out the update did not take. I just ran the update a second time and it worked fine.

I think one thing to keep in mind about the number of issues experienced with this update is that there are a lot more Axe-Fx’s out there being updated these days. My guess is that the percentage of failures is probably remaining the same but the number of failures is increasing because Fractal is selling more and more Axe-Fx IIs.

Updated to 12.02 tonight. The first transmission failed (never had that happen before). Simply restarted and everything completed fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom