FW 11 Jumpered Plexi Video - VH's I'm The One

Now I'm getting, "this video contains content from WMG and cannot be viewed from certain sites". Double boo...

Sorry about that. When I post a cover to Youtube they have some algorithm that automatically identifies the original track. So I have to tag it as 3rd party content and then it's out of my hands at that point where it can and can't be viewed.

Sorry about that. When I post a cover to Youtube they have some algorithm that automatically identifies the original track.

Probably something that stuff such as Shazam uses (waveform comparison / identifying).

Nailed the tone man! Pretty crazy... The swing in the main riff though isn't quite there, a little work on that and youre golden!

The tone in video I would not associate with a channel jumper. Typically when you jumper external channels on a vintage Marshall you get a fatter tone with less high end bite (Joe B/Eric Johnson). Tone is different than internal jumpering.

I am quiet familiar with jumpered master volume marshalls; in my opinion its the only way to run them because the bass channel is way too dark and the bright channel is way to bright. But when jumpered, you can blend the two channels together for a remarkable array of tones - including the tones heard in the clip you reference. I would suggest dialing a fairly bright tone and using the tone on the guitar for those darker (woody) sounds. The upside to this is method is that you have the bright tones if you want them. Especially nice for sparkly cleans, which the marshall does nicely by rolling of the guitar volume. In my opinion, some of the best cleans available.

Also, the bright caps and coupling caps used in the bright channel vary. I have seen .oo2 coupling caps and .02. I have seen a wider variety of bright caps. I have never seen a jumpered marshall in which the treble and presence were dimed. My experience building and reparing these amps, for years (I have played a hundred different amps) is that the bass is usually dimed, presence is usually high (if you like bright) treb and mid's to taste, but never dimed - that would be way to bright - in my experience.

In any event, both sound clips posted by Adam sounded great in my opinion. I hear an organic, very dynamic tone and I am jonesing for an upgrade to the II very badly.

One other thing, while there is a difference between external and internal jumpering (input Z on the guitar), it is less than you think, especially if pedals are being used. Ie, first on my board is a boss tuner which is buffered; it provides the Z to my guitar, not the amp. Unless all you fx are true bypass, forget the internal external argument. And then it depends on the pickups as to how much difference it makes.

Yeah, I'm not the EVH connoisseur that some people are but I'm pretty sure the Floyd Rose didn't exist when he recorded VH 1.

I love the PRS standard tremolo combined with their locking tuners. It stays in tune quite well and the trem feel is just better for my tastes.

Yeah, I'm not the EVH connoisseur that some people are but I'm pretty sure the Floyd Rose didn't exist when he recorded VH 1.

I love the PRS standard tremolo combined with their locking tuners. It stays in tune quite well and the trem feel is just better for my tastes.

I'm not afraid to tune during a set if I have too either. I like those old Hendrix vids where he goes nuts on a Strat trem and then just retunes by ear during the song.

If memory serves, that song was recorded before the frankenstrat got a Floyd.

Totally correct both of you;), it's just that everyone thinks they need a Floyd in order to play EVH tunes and Adams playing sheds a bit of light on the fact that you really don't.

Back
Top Bottom