FW 11.01 TX Star Lead

Thanks again Cliff.

And thanks to all those who asks NICELY if something is off. Sometimes they are correct ;)

Timmons runs his head into a Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Std cab. So a 4x12 with V30`s would make sence. I`m looking forward to this. Sound really good now, but better is nice. The Mark IIC+ kicks now.

My only challenge now, is that there are so many good amps. I really dont know what to use on my gig in 2 weeks. What a luxury!!!

Andy Timmons runs both his Lonestar and Stiletto through 2x12 oversized Rectifier cabs
He usually mics'em with Shure SM57

2 years ago he had a Stlletto cab 4x12 with the Lonestar and Oversized Recto 2x12`s with the Stilletto.

A Lonestar 2x12 combo was what he used last time i saw him. Looked like the Lonestar was mic´d with a Sennheiser MD421. I did not see the 57, but i´m Shure it was there. 1.5 years ago, so he may have changed that, but he still sounds good.

I'll add it to the next release. Yelling at me isn't a good way to ask for things. I'm just as inclined to remove the model.

LOL! I have a two year old. Something about this is too close to home. You don't WANT To listen to them when they yell...but you end up anyways. :)

2 years ago he had a Stlletto cab 4x12 with the Lonestar and Oversized Recto 2x12`s with the Stilletto.

A Lonestar 2x12 combo was what he used last time i saw him. Looked like the Lonestar was mic´d with a Sennheiser MD421. I did not see the 57, but i´m Shure it was there. 1.5 years ago, so he may have changed that, but he still sounds good.

Maybe that was his B rig?
He usually runs heads an 2x12" cabs live and in the studio.

Timmons1.jpgTimmons2.jpgTimmons3.jpgTimmons4.jpg

Cool.

But he sounds badass no matter what. Most of that tone comes from his fingers. And we don´t have the 2x12 recto cab in the AXII.

I used 3 2x12 with my Roadking. 1 recto, 1 custom openback/V30 and 1 custom/Greenback. Tighter bottom end than a 4x12 and easier to choose the right mix of speakers was why i had that setup. I usually took all 3 with me though.

That may be the reason Timmons uses 2x12.

I had the Lonestar special but i guess its almost the same from the normal Lonestar, just voiced more Texas style (EL84). Any ways, both channels are identical if you set them equal with out the drive toggle engaged. This amp has a great clean channel, but the drive channel need to be patiently dialed in, and the sound changes a lot if you change guitars, i never got a drive tone where it serve well both single coil and humbuckers guitars, i always needed to dial the tone. The speaker i really do not like, it always sounded better into a marshall cab.

I feel this amp reacts better pushing those power amp tubes, so pushing the amps hard can get more harmonic content then just turning the drive knob up.

I've owned both and I found them to be quite different. The Special was thinner, more dynamic, more raw with more upper mid bite to it. The cleans were also a LOT brighter and had a bit of that Vox chime going on. I also found that it had to be really REALLY loud to sound good. The Classic was much smoother, darker and more compressed. I also found that the Classic sounded good at any volume with any guitar. Although cranking it really did open the sound up.

If I remember correctly Cliff mentioned that the clean channel is essentially just a Fender Twin. However, I wouldn't mind if the Lead channel model was changed to the EL84 version because to me it was a much better than the 6L6. The 6L6 has excessive bass but the EL84 makes for a more balanced sound. Of course this isn't all that much of an issue in the virtual world as you can probably just tweak the advanced parameters to match the LS Special.

Yeah, it's basically a Twin with a healthy dosage of steroids. Fatter, cleaner and more sustain. I for one would be absolutely thrilled if the clean channel from the LSC made it's way onto the Axe - although I suspect from how I did such a fine job of inserting my foot into my mouth yesterday that doesn't really matter much. :)

Maybe that was his B rig?
He usually runs heads an 2x12" cabs live and in the studio.

I'm pretty sure most of the time he simply uses what's available to him at the city where he's located. I strongly doubt he's earning enough cash to be able to afford to bring his normal rig out on the road.

Cool.

But he sounds badass no matter what. Most of that tone comes from his fingers. And we don´t have the 2x12 recto cab in the AXII.

I used 3 2x12 with my Roadking. 1 recto, 1 custom openback/V30 and 1 custom/Greenback. Tighter bottom end than a 4x12 and easier to choose the right mix of speakers was why i had that setup. I usually took all 3 with me though.

That may be the reason Timmons uses 2x12.

Cliff, any chance you can model his fingers for an upcoming firmware release? :lol

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/11.0/axefx2_11p02.zip

Added Overdrive control to TX Star Lead model. Fixed wrong cutoff frequency.
Fixed wrong tone-stack type in Jazz 120 model. Added correct “Jazz 120” tone-stack type to available selections.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/11.0/axefx2_11p02.zip

Added Overdrive control to TX Star Lead model. Fixed wrong cutoff frequency.
Fixed wrong tone-stack type in Jazz 120 model. Added correct “Jazz 120” tone-stack type to available selections.

Good Gracious! Talk about Light speed!!!

..... that's just too cool. We certainly get every candy we want in this candy store. :D

Now... how about those Rectos... J/K! :D

:) Glad I checked this ... FW 11.02! I played all day yesterday without noticing the FW update until I was done, so I installed 11.01. Now I'm just getting to it and it's up to FW 11.02 :)

Thanks Cliff. And yes. Pretty Timmons tones came out with just putting eq where he got it. (Model those fingers and i'm there)

Back off ID and OD. Up MV and you get a beautiful clean sound. This is better than any FW to date imho.

I'm a bit confused. Is this channel mean't to be dirty. I'm guessing so by the video. I was using the TX lead as a clean all this time. With the overdrive knob I can't clean it up anymore. I like the dirt mind you, but can I not clean this amp up anymore?

On the flip side I'm really liking the gritty clean this makes now. Pretty straight forward for a clean grit.

Thanks Cliff. And yes. Pretty Timmons tones came out with just putting eq where he got it. (Model those fingers and i'm there)

Back off ID and OD. Up MV and you get a beautiful clean sound. This is better than any FW to date imho.

This from Kriig...

I had it set to Up MV low ID before the OD came in to play. Now with the OD I've lost my bearings. Its not cleaning up and retaining all my juicy punchy goodness. I can however do it right away with say a 65 bass guy, so all is not lost. It just gave me a fright:nightmare:

In forums and most all over the internet using CAP's is yelling, if you want to emphasis something use underline next time.

Perhaps Cliff, is time for that vacation... i sense a bit of stress in your comment, you have already given us too much in just a few days!

Vacation? Isn't he going to Left Coast for a few days next month? lol

To keep the Lonestar Lead clean in 11.02, I reduced Input Drive to 2.25 & Overdrive to 2.00, Master at 8.00. To get the level back up without clipping the output, I raised the Master Volume Trim to 4.014. Input Select is SUM L+R. That got me back to where I remember it. Fatter than the Twin with a little more compression.

Back
Top Bottom