Fixed [FW 1.0.5] High pitched noise coming from unit after a few hours

rossipedia

Power User
This is the second time today I've heard this, so I decided to capture a video of it. The sound randomly started up today after a couple hours of uptime. It resolved itself, so I thought maybe it was just a one-off, but then it kicked up again and persisted until I shut the unit off. It sounds like coil whine, and given the recent USB issues I've had with the unit and what I read about 1.0.5 having updates to the USB connection makes me think this is some kind of bug that was introduced in the latest firmware.

Going to revert down to 1.0.4 (or lower) and see if it goes away.

Your video is private and I can't view it. Also, if you wouldn't mind sending me your preset, that would be super helpful. Thanks!

Sorry! The video should be fixed now, I don't do a ton of YT stuff. Here are the presets I've experienced this on (Scene 1 on both):

Attachments

• 5150 Block.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Mark IV.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Are you sitting the FM3 on pile carpet ? Maybe the fan is blocked.
Does it do this if you place it on a book or flat floor ? Looks like you are at 60c, I think that is a threshold for the fan to turn on....

Are you sitting the FM3 on pile carpet ? Maybe the fan is blocked.
Does it do this if you place it on a book or flat floor ? Looks like you are at 60c, I think that is a threshold for the fan to turn on....

it looks like a pile carpet, but it's actually sitting on a polycarbonate office mat. There's plenty of ventilation, I've been pretty attentive about that. The noise is very identifiable as an electrical component whine, it doesn't sound like anything to do with the fan (I could be wrong there, but that's what it sounds like to me).

This actually happened to me a few times as well. It's not fan noise, but a power switching noise. It actually went away pretty soon and now I haven't heard it for a long time...

@rossipedia 99% sure your fan is stuck. Had same exact issue. Fan replaced and all is fine now...of course they changed the fan behavior in 1.05 so the fan doesnt come on as often but the fan was definitely sticking. Work with support if you already haven't.

@orion32773 yeah, definitely not the fan. I tried FW 1.0.5 again today, and it came right back after about 30 minutes. I thought it might be the fan, but while I was recording a clip of the noise on my phone, it eventually stopped and then a second later the fan actually spun up. It was very obviously a separate noise.

Not sure what's going on with USB and temps in 1.0.5, but I'll be downgrading to 1.0.4 yet again :(

Yea maybe. I actually verified mine wasn’t spinning but at the guidance of support. Work with them. They will get you squared away.

Not sure what's going on with USB and temps in 1.0.5, but I'll be downgrading to 1.0.4 yet again :(
Do you still have that noise issue or was gone after downgrading to FW 1.0.4? I have exactly the same issue (I it does not bother me too much but still it randomly appears for a short time).

Do you still have that noise issue or was gone after downgrading to FW 1.0.4? I have exactly the same issue (I it does not bother me too much but still it randomly appears for a short time).
I downgraded to 1.0.4 and haven't had any problems since.

Back
Top Bottom