Fuzz, Vibe, Marshall, Greenback, Strat.... GO!

Great job as always Man!
And.. let me say that as a 50yo TRex like me I feel a kind of "generational proud" when I see a young man digging inside the feel and the sound and the vibe of this kind of music and tones... and I see that you put your soul in it... and... that's the way!!! :encouragement:

Thanks Tyler! It was Robin Trower day today :) This nails Bridge of Sighs :D

Oh and might I say good call on that IR. I hadn't looked at my RedWirez IRs in a while but nothing I tried compared to that one.

Last edited:
Thanks Tyler! It was Robin Trower day today :) This nails Bridge of Sighs :D

Oh and might I say good call on that IR. I hadn't looked at my RedWirez IRs in a while but nothing I tried compared to that one.

Thanks. Yeah, the longer i do this, The better I am at getting a feel for what I'll need for an IR even before I start. U87 mics are great choice for anything vintage sounding.

Tyler- I haven't tried this patch of your yet, but I did finally try your SRV "Little Wing" patch last night, using your E130 IR. I was floored with that preset using my main guitar (LsL strat) through a pair of CLR's. I did notice everything was clipping and your amp levels were cranked up, so I dialed both amps back -8 db for each X and Y setting and everything was on par with my own presets. Makes sense after seeing your comment above about running global gain on -10. I ran out of time but I was trying to get a feel for how the patch was dialed in to get where it does. I also noticed the U87 mic on both cabs- wondered if that was intentional on the E130, but it sounds better with it on to my ears, so I assume it's part of the recipe.

You've got some good ears. I've got years of time with vintage Fender amps and I haven't been able to dial in a preset yet that sounds as good as your does. I'll be sending you a donation.. thanks for sharing your work.

Glad you got it working for you.

The U87 is a big part of the recipe. When I approach a patch, I try to think of it in the most realistic terms. SRV's high end is intense. Live, he got away with it due to the volume. It created a soaring tone. But when you record that, it gets thin very quickly. The U87 "filter" is a sort of Recording Studio mask that I do. This simulates the EQ or Micing tricks they would possibly have done in the studio to help out with SRV's massive volume and sound. IN a perfect world, I would have a REAL U87 mic an I would make a series of better IR captures of the E130...but alas, I do not have $4000 to spend on a mic!

As for the time you've spent with Fender amps. There is a major leap from a real amp to building working patches in AxeFx. Its not because the AxeFx doesn't sound or respond like a real amp, its that you have to understand its sounding and responding like a real amp that has been mic'd in a studio. Fender amps in person sound WAY WAY different then they do once you throw an SM57 in front and record. I think I contribute my ability to make decent patches because of the last 5-8 years of realizing just how different amps sound when recorded.

Tyler- I haven't tried this patch of your yet, but I did finally try your SRV "Little Wing" patch last night, using your E130 IR. I was floored with that preset using my main guitar (LsL strat) through a pair of CLR's. I did notice everything was clipping and your amp levels were cranked up, so I dialed both amps back -8 db for each X and Y setting and everything was on par with my own presets. Makes sense after seeing your comment above about running global gain on -10. I ran out of time but I was trying to get a feel for how the patch was dialed in to get where it does. I also noticed the U87 mic on both cabs- wondered if that was intentional on the E130, but it sounds better with it on to my ears, so I assume it's part of the recipe.

You've got some good ears. I've got years of time with vintage Fender amps and I haven't been able to dial in a preset yet that sounds as good as your does. I'll be sending you a donation.. thanks for sharing your work.

Back
Top Bottom