Fuzz tone question...

chrisjnyc

Power User
Anyone have any tips\tricks to getting heavy fuzz tones with just the Axe and no actual pedals? Looking to record sounds like you would get from a Zvex fuzz factory, DBA, Devi and other "stacked" fuzz type pedals. When I play a Keeley fuzz pedal into a Vox AC30, I get a thick "big muff" type tone, but it still has some very nice overtones\harmonics\etc.

I think some of these, the Zvex for sure, are a holy grail type thing still. I still have a Fuzz Factory in front of my Axe-Fx.

Build a preset WITHOUT the cab block (try it you will get some real sizzle) an amp and fuzz of choice, use an EQ block to boost where required works for my Muse patch

Nice idea, I use a flanger and a fuzz in front of the dasmetal to get the plugin baby sound, but I'm not really understanding the mechanics of the fuzz :/
Maxsys, did you share it anywhere to try ?

Nice idea, I use a flanger and a fuzz in front of the dasmetal to get the plugin baby sound, but I'm not really understanding the mechanics of the fuzz :/
Maxsys, did you share it anywhere to try ?

Not shared it anywhere, happy to share, will upload tomorrow, I use the same preset for Psycho and Knights of Cydonia across 5 scenes, only one scene has the cab removed nd the EQ block added.

Not shared it anywhere, happy to share, will upload tomorrow, I use the same preset for Psycho and Knights of Cydonia across 5 scenes, only one scene has the cab removed nd the EQ block added.
This is all with a Fuzz Factory in front of the Axe-Fx though, right?

I haven't managed to get the fuzz factory oscillations but the bias and slew parameters can really change the character of the fuzz tone itself towards what the ff sounds like. Start with the fuzz face since the model defaults to germanium now and go from there. You can also change the input impedance to whichever one is closest to 100k, I find it helps as well

For oldskool lofi buzzy tone, drive the preamp distortion in the cab block over the top.

Reactions: Rex
Experiment with stacking drives (two drives blocks in series) set to various models. You can get some pretty crazy combinations going, especially when combining fuzz models.

And two amps in series! It's easy to forget this, and on the plus side, its almost free cpu-wise!

Day job got in the way, so here's the patch I mentioned above, Scene 4 is the Fuzz/Fizz without using a cab. Try it, tweak it could be fun.

Created with a PRS CU22 fitted with Bareknuckle Rebel Yell pickups. Still work in progress, and the scenes need some more levelling, but i have used it live a few times.

Attachments

• PsychoKnights.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 26
Experiment with stacking drives (two drives blocks in series) set to various models. You can get some pretty crazy combinations going, especially when combining fuzz models.

This is the key.

Try a drive pedal block in front of the fuzz.

The octave fuzz is especially tricky and tricky in real life.

Try the Face Fuzz -> Octave Fuzz. Use the neck pickup of a Strat with the gtr tone control slightly rolled off. Play on the D and G strings around the 12th fret. This really lets you "play" and express the octave tone.

SDD Preamp -> Pi Fuzz is a good combo.

Timmy -> Pi Fuzz sounds good too.

mr_fender and barhrecords are spot on with the suggestions for stacking drive models w/ fuzz, IMO. I'll often use a GEQ along with a fuzz model for similar reasons.

Day job got in the way, so here's the patch I mentioned above, Scene 4 is the Fuzz/Fizz without using a cab. Try it, tweak it could be fun.

Created with a PRS CU22 fitted with Bareknuckle Rebel Yell pickups. Still work in progress, and the scenes need some more levelling, but i have used it live a few times.
I can't find why I get no sound from your preset on my axefx2xl+, hope I will.
I'm yet to try chaining drives as you suggest because I've never been this close to typical muse fuzz :)

Back
Top Bottom