Fuzz Crazy Horse Pedal from Durham Electronics......

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi everyone .....

I ve discovered this pedal a few weeks and started to try to get close , to recreate this fantastic Fuzz pedal that sounds amazing to me ....
As i m not as good as many as others in tweaking the Axe , creating amazing sounds i m posting this in order to have from the ...Masters of the Axe:) ....(.Moke:) if you see my post....i m thinking of you in writing this ....)
So if many of you have ideas in how to recreate this fantastic sound ....helping in where to start from i would be very thankful.....
Hope many will discover this fantastic pedal .....so close to Neil Young sound .
Cheers and many thanks to youuuuuuu.....;)
Fafa

Truly insane glitchy velcro robot fuzz isn't something that I've been able to coax from my AFII yet. I still have a drawer with a Carcosa for doom, a Fulltone '70s for general fuzz, and a Skreddy Lunar Module for Floyd when I need that specific tone. You can get close but there is something about the randomness and quirkiness of the analog circuits that no one has captured in the digital realm yet.

Truly insane glitchy velcro robot fuzz isn't something that I've been able to coax from my AFII yet. I still have a drawer with a Carcosa for doom, a Fulltone '70s for general fuzz, and a Skreddy Lunar Module for Floyd when I need that specific tone. You can get close but there is something about the randomness and quirkiness of the analog circuits that no one has captured in the digital realm yet.

There are no parameters for starving the transistors of voltage to get those really Velcro and horn sounds, the bias control works to an extent, but depends on the circuit to a large extent.

Kind of the beauty of fuzz, $1.50 worth of parts soldered together in a certain manner, with a undesired leaky transistor, worthless for other applications, giving this beautiful horrible splatting noise that makes some of us go “that sounds to bad it’s good” lol

Hi everyone .....

I ve discovered this pedal a few weeks and started to try to get close , to recreate this fantastic Fuzz pedal that sounds amazing to me ....
As i m not as good as many as others in tweaking the Axe , creating amazing sounds i m posting this in order to have from the ...Masters of the Axe:) ....(.Moke:) if you see my post....i m thinking of you in writing this ....)
So if many of you have ideas in how to recreate this fantastic sound ....helping in where to start from i would be very thankful.....
Hope many will discover this fantastic pedal .....so close to Neil Young sound .
Cheers and many thanks to youuuuuuu.....;)
Fafa

Just pick the Deluxe Tweed amp model and crank Input Drive.

Just pick the Deluxe Tweed amp model and crank Input Drive.
And don't shy away from cascading an AMP block into an AMP block. Disable power amp modeling on the first AMP block in the chain and go easy on the level. Can be...interesting...to say the least.

Something like this?

Want a nasty, spitty, gated fuzz?

Obviously, I disagree. :)

I’m not saying it’s not possible to produce some pleasing tones, but, there certainly isn’t the same level of circuit level tweaking possible in the drive block as you find in the amp block.

There is a decent amount of tone shaping, but not like the amp block where you can dive in and change specific cap values, voltages, et al.

A lot of fuzz circuits are often taking an existing circuit, changing an input cap, adding a variable resistor in place of a fixed, having a voltage sag pot/circuit, having a mix of different transitions hfe values or things like a Ge/Si hybrid etc, we can’t really go and play around with those things.

As such, it’s really difficult to get something like a Basic Audio Zippy or a PTD ‘bone variant which get that really reedy type of tone/texture. I know the circuit, I’ve build clones of them, but the drive block just doesn’t have the controls to fully emulate the circuit. As of yet.....

Same with the self-oscillation ability of a Fuzz Factory circuit, tuning the oscillation frequency with your guitar tone pot....

Some of it’s the interactions between the guitars passive electronics with the circuit as well, which also can’t achieved behind an active buffer of course. No way around that one really.

Still though, lots of great tones possible, but just can’t do any and all tones so I’ve still got my soldering iron.

I’m not saying it’s not possible to produce some pleasing tones, but, there certainly isn’t the same level of circuit level tweaking possible in the drive block as you find in the amp block.

There is a decent amount of tone shaping, but not like the amp block where you can dive in and change specific cap values, voltages, et al.

A lot of fuzz circuits are often taking an existing circuit, changing an input cap, adding a variable resistor in place of a fixed, having a voltage sag pot/circuit, having a mix of different transitions hfe values or things like a Ge/Si hybrid etc, we can’t really go and play around with those things.

As such, it’s really difficult to get something like a Basic Audio Zippy or a PTD ‘bone variant which get that really reedy type of tone/texture. I know the circuit, I’ve build clones of them, but the drive block just doesn’t have the controls to fully emulate the circuit. As of yet.....

Same with the self-oscillation ability of a Fuzz Factory circuit, tuning the oscillation frequency with your guitar tone pot....

Some of it’s the interactions between the guitars passive electronics with the circuit as well, which also can’t achieved behind an active buffer of course. No way around that one really.

Still though, lots of great tones possible, but just can’t do any and all tones so I’ve still got my soldering iron.
Don’t think in terms of blocks. Think in terms of systems. Sometimes you need to use more than one block to achieve a goal.

You’ll get there.

Don’t think in terms of blocks. Think in terms of systems. Sometimes you need to use more than one block to achieve a goal.

You’ll get there.

Good point. Certainly can do some cool stuff with things like a parallel block running an octave fuzz, mixed to taste, to get a closer tone to the SuperFuzz or Foxx Tone Machine type of sound with that subtle but important hint of octave up mixed in with the distortion.

Takes a good bit of tweaking to come up with stuff at times, but the same can be said for mucking about with a circuit on the work bench lol

Or for those who don’t want to do either, there is the amazingly good Behringer SuperFuzz clone for like $24.99.....

You’ll get there.

Too many blocks might eat up all my CPU power though. It might take more blocks then the song specific preset I wanted to create can handle. It happens to me from time to time. Usually involving shimmer.

Too many blocks might eat up all my CPU power though. It might take more blocks then the song specific preset I wanted to create can handle. It happens to me from time to time. Usually involving shimmer.

I suppose in fairness though, one probably wouldn’t be using a shimmer type P&W reverb along with a really filthy heavy fuzz tone in most situations.

Electric Wizard meets Hillsong?... might be cool though lol

I suppose in fairness though, one probably wouldn’t be using a shimmer type P&W reverb along with a really filthy heavy fuzz tone in most situations.

Electric Wizard meets Hillsong?... might be cool though lol
Not at the same time. But when switching from a heavy fuzz tone to a clean tone with shimmer? Yeah, I've done that.

You can do quite a bit to extend the insanity of the fuzz tones in the Axe-Fx by simply cascading on drive block into another. In this example it's an Octave Fuzz into the Jam Ray model. It gets a nice, touch-controlled leading edge to give it some flutey-ness, and a little insane when you double stop with it.

Random noodling.

Think in systems.

You can do quite a bit to extend the insanity of the fuzz tones in the Axe-Fx by simply cascading on drive block into another. In this example it's an Octave Fuzz into the Jam Ray model. It gets a nice, touch-controlled leading edge to give it some flutey-ness, and a little insane when you double stop with it.

Random noodling.

Think in systems.

À great tone to my ears ....

Back
Top Bottom