future versions? (I.E. axe fx iii xl+)

I have a first gen Acura RDX - which was the first Honda infotainment system to drop the touchscreen in favor of a push to select dial. At first I felt like it was a step backwards technologically, but I found that I like it much better. I find it easier and faster to spin/push rather than moving my hand around a screen and aligning to press the right button. Net: I think I still prefer the Axe approach, although I still wish we could push the rotary encoder as an enter key.

RR

My speculation is this. I don't think Cliff is using the very fastest TI DSPs in the III, although I'm not sure which ones they are. Most likely this is because they cost prohibitive right now and he wouldn't meet his target price. In the future I would speculate that we might see a moderate DSP upgrade as these prices come down and he introduces the "XL" version of the III, provided that it doesn't require a major rework of the architecture.

Wasn't a statement made somewhere that the III was using the most powerful DSPs available? Sure, device performance will improve over time, but I don't think we can say that FAS isn't using the fastest available at the moment.

RR

Wasn't a statement made somewhere that the III was using the most powerful DSPs available? Sure, device performance will improve over time, but I don't think we can say that FAS isn't using the fastest available at the moment.

RR
I saw on the TI website that they have them running up to 1.2Ghz on the highest models listed, where the Fractal website shows the DSPs at 1 Ghz.. It could be that he is running them at a lower clock speed for technical reasons though, I have no idea. Either that or he's just rounding down lol.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting replacing the current knobs and buttons with a touch screen. I meant it more as an optional, supplemental extra. I know it's not something anyone needs, but I figured it could be useful, if the right screen was found to do the job before the next iteration.

Also, phones are not the same as a built in touchscreen.

I'd also love to see an Ethernet connection for networking things like MIDI Automation, and Axe-Edit.

We can't have a discussion about terrible touch screens without mentioning the Coke Freestyle machines. I love everything else about them, but those screens are among the worst I've ever used.

I know there’s no answer or way of knowing, but it is a valid concern about what may be included in the “XL” version of the III whenever it may come out. I had the Ultra, got in early on the II and still have the Original II, still happy with that. I don’t feel like I missed much with the XL versions. I just hope the any improvements on the III would be minor enough not to warrant an upgrade at that time. Definitely can’t wait to get the III regardless.

Back
Top Bottom