future versions? (I.E. axe fx iii xl+)

Dhamiii

Inspired
im pretty stoked that the 3 is coming out, will definitely get one. I'm wondering how long the base model will last this time around.... there were a few different iterations of the 2. Do you guys think Fractal did some thinking ahead this time to keep from making multiple versions?

im pretty stoked that the 3 is coming out, will definitely get one. I'm wondering how long the base model will last this time around.... there were a few different iterations of the 2. Do you guys think Fractal did some thinking ahead this time to keep from making multiple versions?

This is not really a feasible thing to ask.

This product hasn't even been launched into market yet (which is in March). Given the sheer amount of horsepower of the Axe FX III, I suspect it will last for a long time before there is a future iteration.

I am guessing that FAS want to reduce the number of SKUs for their products, not expand them, so I am guessing the III will last for quite a while.

Well, in speculating future versions I could see bluetooth and/or wi-fi or perhaps even a touchscreen being added. Or 100 other things, who knows. All I know is it will meet my needs and expectations for quite some time to come.

lightning/microusb connector to iOS and Android device with AxeEdit and FractalBot (resident in the Axe; upgradable versions).
Wi-Fi with a browser for AxeExchange, firmware and software upgrade downloads.
In a few words: a free-from-pc series of tools and the possibility of use a big touch screen form mobile devices (think to an iPad Pro 12.9!!! wow!)

I'd love to see the UI screen updated to a touch screen. That could be handy. Maybe even make it so you can hold a button combo to turn it on, and off, for when you've got people you don't trust hanging around.

I'd love to see the UI screen updated to a touch screen. That could be handy. Maybe even make it so you can hold a button combo to turn it on, and off, for when you've got people you don't trust hanging around.
I’d never want the UI to be dependent on a touch screen. A splash of rain, a spilled beer, sweaty hands — any kind of moisture — renders them useless.

I’d never want the UI to be dependent on a touch screen. A splash of rain, a spilled beer, sweaty hands — any kind of moisture — renders them useless.
You've obviously never seen the touch screens I've seen. I've seen them designed to be use on oil rigs, covered in oil, and sea water. Plus I saw them priced pretty reasonably in bulk, even a decade ago. My family used to be in environmental control.

You've obviously never seen the touch screens I've seen. I've seen them designed to be use on oil rigs, covered in oil, and sea water. Plus I saw them priced pretty reasonably in bulk, even a decade ago. My family used to be in environmental control.

Those are resistive touchscreens. Users hate those. To much pressure required.

Those are resistive touchscreens. Users hate those. To much pressure required.
True, but they are pretty damn indestructible.

Either way, I'd like to see how those "other" touch screen effects units out there are doing, and if such extreme measures are even warranted for a touch screen..

Touch screen interfaces require a lot of space to use them intelligibly. Arrow/dial interfaces can get more info per screen. I just got a Yamaha TF rack, full touch screen interface. While it’s great, I can only see so much per screen and I’m constantly changing pages to get where I need to go. I’d imagine something like the amp block would at least double the amount of pages needed to access everything.

I work on enterprise servers quite often and a tape backup machine I use has a resistive touchscreen. I have to press the virtual buttons on that screen exactly twice per interaction, which is around once every one or two weeks.

I hate that thing.

A touch screen on an Axe-Fx would be extremely unappealing to me if it were anything like that tape library.

Touchscreen press buttons are fine, but touch knobs are a hassle to adjust precisely. Especially ratary touch knobs. Maybe if they changed them to fader-like knobs it would be easier, but that would take a lot of screen. I doubt it would ne practical.

Touchscreen press buttons are fine, but touch knobs are a hassle to adjust precisely. Especially ratary touch knobs. Maybe if they changed them to fader-like knobs it would be easier, but that would take a lot of screen. I doubt it would ne practical.

Exactly. To me the section that needs most work is the navigation as those arrow buttons are spaced really far apart to be used efficiently. Real knobs are always better than virtual ones too.

I don't see the Axe-Fx 3 getting a revision unless a hardware vendor changes.

Imagine an amp with a touch screen, no thanks! I like tangible turney knob things that provide a comfortable, reassuring, kind of resistive feedback.

I'd hate a touch screen on an Axe FX.

In other news, I just sold my 2nd generation gear and am now all ready to go for my purchase of the III!

I think that a wired or wireless connection with the ability to run a mobile version of Axe Edit would satisfy the touch screen desires. The Axe III design seems really good to me as it is. I don't have it yet so I can't say for sure but from what I see, it's pretty cool and functional. The ability to connect an iPad to it (or some other tablet) and run a mobile version of Axe Edit in real time would be cool.

My speculation is this. I don't think Cliff is using the very fastest TI DSPs in the III, although I'm not sure which ones they are. Most likely this is because they cost prohibitive right now and he wouldn't meet his target price. In the future I would speculate that we might see a moderate DSP upgrade as these prices come down and he introduces the "XL" version of the III, provided that it doesn't require a major rework of the architecture.

Back
Top Bottom