• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Future Amp Models

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
GK 800rb and any other classic bass amps!
Some bass presets in the standard presets.

Thanks
Pauly

What would you guys like to see in future updates? I know they've pretty much covered all the bases already but there is still definitely some stuff I would like to see modeled like the PRS archon and the Laney Tony Iommi signature head (thing sounds amazing if you haven't already checked it out)

Rick

Fractal Fanatic
Hiwatt amps seem a bit ignored, as are all 1969-1980 Marshalls
The DR103 is there (the one I'd be looking for, as a Gilmour fan), but I think that's the only Hiwatt. What other ones would be good? I am not all that familiar with them besides the DR.

tallcoolone

Inspired
The DR103 is there (the one I'd be looking for, as a Gilmour fan), but I think that's the only Hiwatt. What other ones would be good? I am not all that familiar with them besides the DR.
Custom Jimmy comes to mind--the one Page used at the Royal Albert Hall. I believe it has another footswitchable gain stage..

AllanH

Inspired
I miss a Tone King amp, I think the AXE II does a fantastic job on the clean side as well, so A Galaxy or a Metropolitan would be awesome and very welcome ;)

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
The holy grail: Blues Saraceno's Dirty Boy Amp
That thing is a YAHRP: Yet Another Hot Rod Plexi. Big distinction here is it has a bunch of features that we already have: it essentially exposes the power amp's feedback, bias, and voltage (via variac) and also contains a built-in boost. This is amazingly cool and unique for a physical amp but *nothing* for the Axe since we can literally do any of this with any model. So I get the appeal of the amp or why someone might consider it special in real life but in looking at this feature set and listening to the clips, I think this offers d*ck to the axe as a model. IMHO.

MaVo

That thing is a YAHRP: Yet Another Hot Rod Plexi. Big distinction here is it has a bunch of features that we already have: it essentially exposes the power amp's feedback, bias, and voltage (via variac) and also contains a built-in boost. This is amazingly cool and unique for a physical amp but *nothing* for the Axe since we can literally do any of this with any model. So I get the appeal of the amp or why someone might consider it special in real life but in looking at this feature set and listening to the clips, I think this offers d*ck to the axe as a model. IMHO.
I'm aware that we as users are able to modify any of those parameters exposed to us and might try to get close to a Blues Saraceno sound. But without any given parameter set, it's an aimless venture. Plus there are certain parameters in the model only the Fractal Audio developers can define and which are not open for public modification. I've been trying to nail some of his sounds for a while, but you soon come to the point, where you actually need to know

1. how a guitar amplifier works in terms of a mathematical model to apply the given AxeFx parameters in a distinct manner.
2. how the Dirty Boy amp is built up and what parts of the amp apply certain effects to the signal. And that's the hardest point, since Alex Saraceno only gives rough hints (as using Rectifier Tubes in the power suppy to achieve more voltage drop / sag, when driving the power amp hard) about the idea behind the amplifier and how he generates a certain colouring. And that's just rough, since it's a trial and error tour in adapting certain Amp block parameters just relying on your ear and maybe some rough idea how it affects the underlying amp model of the AxeFx, which know one's in detail except the Fractal Audio developers.
3. Being a nonlinear system, the order of stages or even components in a guitar amplifier matters in terms of signal modulation (to which degree is a different point). So the approach of tweaking any given Plexi based model is pointless, since it might differ from the Dirty Boy layout, what we don't know, unless both schematics are available.

So I guess my wish for the amp being modeled is still justified, at least from a system-theoretical point.

It would be cool, if Fractal Audio would be able to buy or borrow (Blues Saraceno is an endorser) a Dirty Boy sometime, measure and model it. But since from what I've read read, Cliff only models amps, if there's a schematic available. It seems less likely that this is going to happen, because only Alex Saraceno and maybe Mojave Amp works would have it. A former guitarist of my current band was in contact with Alex Saraceno in order to produce the Dirty Boy amp as a series run in Germany, but there were several issues making it not possible in the end. He was also asking for specification details e.g. the output transformer winding build up. The only way to get this information would have been to cut the output transformer and look at the winding diameters in the cross section, which would result ultimately in destroying an exemplar of a very rare amp, or asking Alex Saraceno. But of course he would only give the winding details getting a monetary compensation.

Zitarman

What would you guys like to see in future updates? I know they've pretty much covered all the bases already but there is still definitely some stuff I would like to see modeled like the PRS archon and the Laney Tony Iommi signature head (thing sounds amazing if you haven't already checked it out)

kavoo

Inspired
Not exactly about NEW models, but...

I'd be more than happy if FAS would change it's philosophy regarding amp modeling and introduce full amp models :rolleyes:

Instead FIVE SEPARATE models of one amp in different settings (for example - Mesa Triaxis [USA PRE] in five variants: CLEAN, LD1 RED, LD2 GRN, LD2 YLW and LD2 RED) just ONE COMPLETE amp model with all modifiers, including channel selection... wouldn't it be amazing?

Less amp models, but with complete functionality of the real reference amplifiers... if not in future firmware update, maybe in the next generation of Axe-Fx :rolleyes:

Guitar Player

I'd be more than happy if FAS would change it's philosophy regarding amp modeling and introduce full amp models :rolleyes:

Instead FIVE SEPARATE models of one amp in different settings (for example - Mesa Triaxis [USA PRE] in five variants: CLEAN, LD1 RED, LD2 GRN, LD2 YLW and LD2 RED) just ONE COMPLETE amp model with all modifiers, including channel selection... wouldn't it be amazing?

Less amp models, but with complete functionality of the real reference amplifiers... if not in future firmware update, maybe in the next generation of Axe-Fx :rolleyes:
I like this idea.

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic

This is almost certainly an architectural design decision that is fundamental in how the firmware is implemented and affects everything in the Axe related to amp models all the way down: from the model code itself, to the UI code, to the MIDI implementation. Axe-Edit would likely require a MAJOR update, as well... The R&D ROI on this would be absolutely wretched given how successful the product is in its current form and the fact such a feature only changes the interface, making it in some ways, worse, especially in front panel operation, since the UI/controls are now inconsistent from model to model.

Wish for it all day but it'll never happen on the II series I would wager. This is more appropriate for a VST or similar which has a large, color, fully on the fly re-configurable display for every component selected.

Last edited:

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
In case you didn't noticed:
Point still stands that such a change may not be necessarily a good thing change given the way the front panel works and is not pragmatic in any way with the current generation. You also conveniently omitted the part where you mentioned future firmware immediately prior when quoting yourself which implies that you do indeed consider this desirable for current gen. Nice try at a spin move. ;)

kavoo

Inspired
You also conveniently omitted the part where you mentioned future firmware immediately prior when quoting yourself which implies that you do indeed consider this desirable for current gen.
In case you didn't noticed:
IF NOT in future firmware update
Of course I'm aware of virtual impossibility of such change in the firmware of the present model - just like in case of G3'd JMP-1 model which didn't replaced old one because of it's usage by the top priority artists. Such change basically would enforce everyone to alter all their presets and I doubt that Cliff would be willing to make such major change.

But it doesn't change the fact that in my opinion it would be a great improvement.

spx90

Power User

I like this idea. :)

It would be a big step forward, to simplify operation, and least amplifiers to be selected, least confusion :cool:
I have a TriAxis, I understand what you write :rolleyes:
It would be really nice :D:D

Last edited:

sirus1987

Inspired
At first I didnt care, but after the last couple days of hanging out with an old bass player friend and showing off my Axe I would definitely like to see more bass amp models and effects and pedals geared more towards bass players. Let me also say that he dialed in an INCREDIBLE bass tone using a fender p bass and the SVT block that was barely tweaked from the default settings running through a QSC PLD into a 2x12 legacy cab with 75's. He was like "wtf, this sounds WAAAYYY better than the actual SVT stack I used to own." needless to say, he was totally sold on the Axe within a minute or so. But yeah I didnt realize there was only like 3 bass amp models, although there is an insane amount of versatility between them.

muttonhead

Inspired
A Sarno Music Solutions V8 preamp. It's an octal tube preamp, and it doesn't seem to break up. I played it through a 1-12" cab with a Quilter module( just the power amp) and it reminded me of a really clean Marshall at times. It appears to have a Fender style tone stack. When you turn all the tone controls down, there is very little output. When you turn up the midrange, there is volume and then you can dial in your sound by adding bass and treble.

Top Bottom