Furman power cord

Old_Soul

Inspired
For those of you that have installed your Furman (or similar power distribution unit) that has a really really long power cord in your rack, AND you have input power on your rack as a Powercon (so you don't need to plug there unit into AC, what did you do with the power cord? Did you cut it down to an appropriate length, leave it coiled up and stuffed in somewhere?

I really wish they made their units with detachable input cords.

Thanks,
Steve

10 feet, 14/3 (so not a small diameter cord)
The reason I ask, is that I learned a very valuable lesson, years ago, about Inductive Reactance (XL). I was using a 50 or 100' (can't remember) extension cord, with most of the extension cord still wound up in a coil, to run a radial arm saw. Let's just say the saw just sat there and hummed at me. I had just started teaching circuit analysis at the time, so it quickly dawned on me what was going on. The wound up extension cord was acting like an inductor producing a counter EMF (Electro Motive Force, an opposing voltage), which prevented the current from flowing and the saw from working properly.

You should be okay at 10', but it's something to consider any time you are using a long cord to power an a.c. device.

Last edited:
Agreed, you do need to be careful about that. At 10-foot I would likey be looking at 3-4, maybe 5, loops. I think that although I would get some inductance it would be minimal. Good advice though, thanks for considering that and bringing it up.

I almost always cut my power cords to size. One of these days I’m going to get around to posting my rig evolution, and there are a lot of custom power cables pre-FM9.

Back
Top Bottom