Funny gig story

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I played an irish pub tonight that has a non-cover band venue above it. Packed house, gig is going awesome and then during the 3rd set, there are these 2 bearded dudes (20's) and an older (40's) clean shaven gentleman standing right beside the stage on my right. I notice the one wearing a hoodie, let's call him Johnny, is gesturing towards my rack and when I look at him, he does the hands up shaking his head like he's confused. Between songs he says, "Where's your amp?!" and I said, "right there. It's an Axe FX". It took me awhile to figure it out, but apparently he couldn't believe that I didn't have an amp... and he didn't like it. Soon, he's telling everybody around him how shitty it is that I don't have amp. This goes on for 40 minutes.

As soon as we're done, clean shaven man (Dave) is standing next to Johnny and Johnny says, "I like your non-rig" in a sarcastic tone and I respond, "Yeah, it's fucking awesome!". "NO IT'S NOT. IT'S THE ANTITHESIS OF AWESOME!" he yells. I say, "You don't like it because it's not a 4x12 on stage or you don't like it because it actually sounded shitty?", to which he says, "A little of column A and a little of column B". "Dude, if you don't like it, don't buy one. It's as simple as that. You continue to use what you like, and I'll continue to use what I like. At the end of the day, I don't really give a shit if you like my rig. BTW, you stood there and listened for 40 minutes. If it truly sucked that bad, you would've left." He left.

IMMEDIATELY after, Dave says, "Hey, what pedal is that". "Oh, that's the MFC 101 made by Fractal Audio. It's a midi controller, no sound processing there" I say. He asks, "So, what is the rack unit?". "It's a Fractal Audio Axe FX II."

"It sounds great", Dave responds.

As I'm hauling gear out of the venue, Dave asks about the atomic wedges I brought out and why I had those running with my In Ears in. I give him the entire run down of how the house PA doesn't have enough monitors, so I brought 2 from home so our drummer and bass player could use them. He thinks it's badass.

It turns out, Dave is the sound guy for Johnny's band, which played upstairs! So, the guitarist thought it was fucking stupid and "shitty", but the sound guy thought it was not only smart, but it sounded great too. I'm putting tonight in the win category.

Yet another example of why I say most of what we do is for ourselves. 99.9% of the audience is clueless. If you had the exact same rig hidden inside an empty wall of Marshall cabs, that dude would have been drooling over your tone.

Yet another example of why I say most of what we do is for ourselves. 99.9% of the audience is clueless. If you had the exact same rig hidden inside an empty wall of Marshall cabs, that dude would have been drooling over your tone.

if my bands playing before a band with a 4x12 ill ask him to put it onstage so i can put my rack case on it (not connected though). has a good look to it and it pleases the johnny-types in the audience

Sound like the guitar player is, 1. Very narrow minded, 2. Pissed because it sounded good but didn't want to admit it, 3. Doesn't have enough money to buy one so to make him self feel better has to talk it down.

It would be interesting to hear the conversation between the guitar player and the sound guy before their next gig :lol.

Sound like the guitar player is, 1. Very narrow minded, 2. Pissed because it sounded good but didn't want to admit it, 3. Doesn't have enough money to buy one so to make him self feel better has to talk it down.

It would be interesting to hear the conversation between the guitar player and the sound guy before their next gig :lol.

Yeah, I wish I could've been a fly in that van ride!

Had a guitarist tell me my Axe almost sounded like a real amp (FW5)
He also said it sounded awesome. So his "real" amp must be Mega Awesome???

Back
Top Bottom