Funk Players - your rig of choice?

Pinkycramps

Experienced
I thought this might make a good thread that can live for awhile as a sort of reference thread (if it takes off.)

Who has the funk?
Any Nile Rodgers or Al McKay fans out there, and if so, what is your setup?

Post presets or clips if you will, and let's see who has the best funk tones going.

Who doesn't like a little funk!?! I'm pretty dumb when it comes to a good funk sound. Typically I try single coil pickups into a fender amp and mostly its in the hands?

I've been using the TX Star and matching factory cab with my Strat for funk gigs. Pretty happy with the sound.

Shiver clean and tx star really work well for those funk guitar

I use shiver for humbuckers stuff. Bubble picked and single note lines and chord stabs.

Tx star for single coil. Scratch and Chank parts as well as wah parts.

i've been doing funk with Fenders for now, will be experimenting in fw19 for other possibilities this weekend. The Tremolo Lux, and the Vibrato Verb AA/AB have been good at low gain settings. What I've really been trying to find is the right IR for it. The new Princeton 10" IR's are nice so far.

here's a thread that was a little get together of funkateers
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/56837-calling-all-funksters.html
some folks talked about their setups in there..
if memory serves.. Simeon is a bit of a badass funk player...

the funky tones in this are about 1:00 in..
one side is a JCM800, the other is the Hiwatt Normal
the guitar is a custom V [nothing like a Gibson tho] with a pair of HB pups / 3-way switch.. middle selection [which was out funking my Strat]..

Nile typically plays Peavey Classic 50's or Fender Twins, set VERY clean. When recording he will often plug directly in to the console as well.

And of course always a Fender hardtail Strat, usually in the neck position.

58RI w/ Timbuckers into the JTM 45 xy'ed for a light breakup and mid breakup. Usually one of the stock newer FAS 4x12 irs, a few from OH.. Run an Emma Discombobulator and Mojo Vibe before the axe. Both picks w/ volumes down around ~7~ gets spanky and layers well with a strat (other player).

Same preset but with the 59 Bassguy and stock 4x10 (#32) for my tele

I like the clean Dumble, sounds great with the matched 4x12. Most of the fender amps and a strat can be dialed in for a spankin tone.

yeah, i'm liking the doubleverb with one or two of the matching IR's at the moment. the 666 settings....gain = 6, bass = 2, mid = 3, treb = 6, pres = 0, bright on. i'm using the ownhammer C12n 2x12 in one slot and F21 in the other. very spanky. :)

Here's a funk patch built awhile ago based on Clarky's description above. This was initially done on an XL with 17.x f/w with an American Standard Strat. I've not tweaked on it since updating to f/w 19pb3 so you may need to play around with this a bit. I've also included the link to a CSV file for the patch for those on AFX II's. This was a spanky, groovin' patch on my Strat (neck or middle pup positions). Get up while you're gettin down.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - ConFunkShun - by WW Audio

http://westwingaudio.com/ConFunkShun.csv

I go the Niles Rodgers way and send the signal right through with just some compression and EQ. Maybe a FET boost.

A super-clean AC30 sounds great with a 335 middle position (a funkateers secret weapon)

experiment...
try turning up the MV to the point where you get just tiny a hint of dirt when you play hard..
so it's not quite pristine clean, but it's certainly nothing like a crunch..
think of it as an 'aggressive clean'
when you play in isolation you may think it's not quite clean enough..
then try playing along to something so you're interacting with the mix..
and of course, if you've over-done the dirt, back it off a little..
but try to make sure that just the tiniest amount remains..

Back
Top Bottom