Fun with Friends - CK + JY + OH - Paramore Cover

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
Hey guys,

In the spirit of fun and friendship, Mikko (Clark Kent), Justin (JustinYork), and I all chipped in on a fun recording. Mikko did the bass performance through OH V3 Bass IR's and mixed the track, and Justin did the guitars through CK Cab Pack 7 IR's. I just, well, I guess I just am posting it. Great hustle there, Kevin. :lol

Click here to grab the mp3 - That's What You Get by Paramore

In any case, very cool track, and for me greatly shows how both the CK and OH IR's take on the personality of the player, their gear, their tonal tweaking tendencies, etc. For example, I have heard several V3 Bass demos (Justin's, Eric's, Morten's, forgive me if there are more I missed), they all sound completely unique to the player, bass, amps, and mix. Same goes for the CK IR's, completely different sounds depending on who tracked it, the style of music played and gear in the chain, and all the other variables besides the IR's. Point being that both CK and OH stuff is even, sans strange peaks and valleys, mix friendly, and don't homogenize the sound negatively, leaving the user in control of (and responsible for, haha!) their sound!

This was quite cool to hear personally, hope you guys dig it, and thanks to Clark Kent and JustinYork for the effort and fantastic results on this! :)

Thanks for the post Kevin and I couldn't agree more. IRs are like tools, sometimes all you need is one "hammer". :) Sometimes you want to find just the right tool for the job so it's only a good thing that we have a lot of variety.

I completely support OH and I've been friends with Kevin for many years. People that have been on the forum for longer probably remember how much I've supported OH over the years. Kevin is responsible for me sticking with the Axe-Fx throughout all the years. I've been doing IRs professionally for 6 months. I've been using Kevin's IRs for 4 years before that and because of that the OwnHammer sound will always be a part of my sound.

Kevin and I have talked about the negativity surrounding our IRs and we would like to make it clear to everyone that we're on the same team and there is no rivalry. I know I regret writing a few things and I apologize for any mixed messages I've been giving. My sense of humor might be a bit weird and it definitely doesn't always translate in text.

Let's be grateful that we're living in a time where getting a good guitar tone is made this easy and concentrate on the positive. :)

Hey guys,

In the spirit of fun and friendship, Mikko (Clark Kent), Justin (JustinYork), and I all chipped in on a fun recording.

WHAT? This is a "fun" recording? This sounds awesome and super hot to dancy on at club loudness ;) Cool stuff! What did you guys doin`, if you`re recording seriously? ... man ... great vibes!!!!! Like it!

I've literally been working on a cover of this song and playing around with it for the past month or so. Nice to see such great minds think alike!

Hahaha fair enough, ck have you thought about doing a mix tutorial? I'd get you a fat lap dance for one

I was actually thinking about that once. I usually try to emphasize on getting everything right before the mix and how it makes mixing easy but obviously there are cases when that doesn't happen and that's where things get "interesting".

The thing is that every mix is different so there is no one approach. Also you need proper monitors for mixing and most people don't have them. I'm actually getting new ones this week.

Guitarists won't like this sentence but the three most important things in a mix are vocals, kick and snare. A song needs to sound good with those tracks playing. That's what the majority of people are listening to. Everything else needs to support those three. Well that's my approach. And Chris Lord-Alge's... And Jack Joseph Puig's.. and Dave Pensado's... and.. you get the point. :D

A lot of geekery in there for sure. I get the guitars right from the get go and that might actually just be an amp and cab block from the Axe-Fx and nothing else. You'd be surprised how much you can do with just the volume knobs and automation.

I was actually thinking about that once. I usually try to emphasize on getting everything right before the mix and how it makes mixing easy but obviously there are cases when that doesn't happen and that's where things get "interesting".

The thing is that every mix is different so there is no one approach. Also you need proper monitors for mixing and most people don't have them. I'm actually getting new ones this week.

Guitarists won't like this sentence but the three most important things in a mix are vocals, kick and snare. A song needs to sound good with those tracks playing. That's what the majority of people are listening to. Everything else needs to support those three. Well that's my approach. And Chris Lord-Alge's... And Jack Joseph Puig's.. and Dave Pensado's... and.. you get the point. :D

A lot of geekery in there for sure. I get the guitars right from the get go and that might actually just be an amp and cab block from the Axe-Fx and nothing else. You'd be surprised how much you can do with just the volume knobs and automation.

You nailed it on the having to take a step back as a guitarist if you want a good mix. I used to have this problem when I started recording years ago. I wanted the guitars to me in the middle and front of the mix. I recently bought a mixing dvd from Kenny mania. Kenny Gioia definitely knows what he's doing. He goes in great detail about the importance of focusing on drums and vocals and having everything else around it.

It would be very cool to see how you run things. Definitely of big fan of your work and a bigger fan of the Stach and sense of humor!

You nailed it on the having to take a step back as a guitarist if you want a good mix. I used to have this problem when I started recording years ago. I wanted the guitars to me in the middle and front of the mix. I recently bought a mixing dvd from Kenny mania. Kenny Gioia definitely knows what he's doing. He goes in great detail about the importance of focusing on drums and vocals and having everything else around it.

It would be very cool to see how you run things. Definitely of big fan of your work and a bigger fan of the Stach and sense of humor!

Hahahaha.. thanks man. I think I can come up with something. I'll just wait for my new speakers to arrive and get used to them first and I'll shoot a video of me mixing. :)

Those drums are the actual stems so the sounds are kind of "from David Bendeth". :D

aha, I didn't quite get what you meant the first time! I thought you were using the slate samples from the Bendeth :x kit. Boy, do I feel duped for having bought that sample pack based on the audio samples they posted :( Sounds good!

aha, I didn't quite get what you meant the first time! I thought you were using the slate samples from the Bendeth :x kit. Boy, do I feel duped for having bought that sample pack based on the audio samples they posted :( Sounds good!

Ouch! You did that? Aww man... well I'm sure the samples are great. He knows what he's doing. :)

Back
Top Bottom