Fulldrive model - TONS of gain???

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Anyone else notice how much freakin gain is on tap with the Fulltone Fulldrive model? The ones I've owned were, at best, sort of mild TS808's even at full gain. Through my JVM's clean channel, the Fulldrive model positively ROARS with gain even at halfway on the dial. Put it up full and it's almost brutal. With a Strat!!! What gives???

AFAIK the Full OD model has not been G3'd. The range of available Drive may not match the original pedal.

yeah, some of the drives don't match my real world experience, but Cliff says they match his versions identically. I trust him, the versions I've had must have been different. The AC Boost was one I had on my board for years, and it didn't have a fraction of the level/gain the one in the Axe has. Pedals can vary a great deal, though.

I remember Alan (from Carol Ann) commenting that the Axe FX amp models typically had more gain than their real life counterparts. I believe that has been changed a lot with G3 (Quantum? Both? ??? lol).

yeah, some of the drives don't match my real world experience, but Cliff says they match his versions identically.

Well crap, I want a real Full Drive 2 with that kind of gain. The Axe model has nearly as much as my Suhr Riot did. And the Riot model...don't get me started...

I've always liked the Full OD for its ability to thicken up single notes.

Also works great in front of Mesa amps like the triaxis and USA models to get just a little extra. Gain around 2.3, volume around 7.3.

Sent from my Moto X

I have a blue fd2 pre mosfet version. With the vol knob up its a gain beast. With the knob down its a ts9 with a little extra hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I like the extra gain in the drive models. I hope no one is suggesting they cut back on the available gain. I really love being able to tweak parameters beyond what the original pedal could do. That has been a huge selling point for me along my FX8 journey.

Back
Top Bottom