Full system dump?

prometh

Power User
Is it possible to dump everything to a sysex file? "Everything" being I/O & global settings, etc, as well as all presets. If my unit ever failed and had to get it repaired, I would feel comfortable with the notion of uploading 1 file to get back what I had before. With 1 file, I'd know that I didn't miss anything. Comfort is important.

You can dump all your system parameters, yes. Hit your "Utilities" button, page over once. "Dump System to Midi". Viola.

You can also dump your banks from here.

Heh, thanks! I figured a feature like this would be found in Axe-Edit and not on the unit itself. Plus, the manual did mention this page, but sounded crappy so I kinda moved onto other things; guess I shouldn't have.

Great, Thanks !!

Then, is it possible to upload the full system via Axe-Edit ?
(I know how to upload banks but don't for the system).

Is it possible to dump everything to a sysex file? "Everything" being I/O & global settings, etc, as well as all presets. If my unit ever failed and had to get it repaired, I would feel comfortable with the notion of uploading 1 file to get back what I had before. With 1 file, I'd know that I didn't miss anything. Comfort is important.

But don't forget to password-protect the dump!

:p He he sorry man, couldn't resist. I know we are way beyond that now, mate. 8)

Just send it to Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx is always "ready" to receive MIDI data.

Well, I think I need more infos. Yek, please help.

I've tried to dump the System from the utilities menu but I don't know how to save the file into the computer.
- is it possible with AxeEdit ?
- MidiOX ? (then how)

If you could also indicate me how to upload it, that would be very great !!!! Thanks in advance !!!

Last edited:
Clarification for prometh (and anyone "new" to the Axe FX reading this),

Forgive me if you're already figured this out. But, based on the replies you got, I could see people reading this getting confused. I want to be sure that you realized that doing a system dump is still separate from the banks. To save EVERYTHING that you can from your Axe FX, you need to save the following 4 things separately:

System settings (You would hit your "Utilities" button, page over once, then choose "Dump System to Midi".)
Bank A (You can dump bank A from this same section in the utilities menu)
Bank B (You can dump bank B from this same section in the utilities menu)
Bank C (You can dump bank C from this same section in the utilities menu)

Scott and others have obviously pointed all of this out, already. But, I wanted it to be clear that you cannot do all 4 things with one function. You have to do the system and each bank separartely.

Last edited:
I had a Chorizo burrito w/ hot sauce for lunch yesterday. I did a full system dump a few hours later.

Cliff, I think I may have entered the bathroom right after you left...

Dirty20Toilet.jpg

Clarification for prometh (and anyone "new" to the Axe FX reading this),

Forgive me if you're already figured this out. But, based on the replies you got, I could see people reading this getting confused. I want to be sure that you realized that doing a system dump is still separate from the banks. To save EVERYTHING that you can from your Axe FX, you need to save the following 4 things separately:

System settings (You would hit your "Utilities" button, page over once, then choose "Dump System to Midi".)
Bank A (You can dump bank A from this same section in the utilities menu)
Bank B (You can dump bank B from this same section in the utilities menu)
Bank C (You can dump bank C from this same section in the utilities menu)

Scott and others have obviously pointed all of this out, already. But, I wanted it to be clear that you cannot do all 4 things with one function. You have to do the system and each bank separartely.
I can see the need to get this thread out of the toilet, so let me clarify a little more... :)

For a quicker, simpler process...
Do the System Dump using SendSx/MidiOX and store it to the SAME dir as your AxeEdit backups. Makes running Griffins Cab matching tool easier...
then simply do a backup/sync from AxeEdit.
2 simple steps -

s0c9,

That sounds interesting. I almost NEVER use the Axe Edit for anything. I used Bome's SendSX for uploading and downloading. Can you give us Axe Edit novices a more dumbed down explanation? In other words, I can be pretty stupid, sometimes. Can you walk me through that in a little bit more detail? Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:
As an avid (no pun intended) AxeEdit user, I seldom use the front panel for anything other than config changes. ALL preset edits, be that block or controller level are done in AxeEdit. - FYI, most of this info can be found in the http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/axe-edit_quickstart-0.9.191.pdf [AxeEdit "Release Notes and User Guide" pdf.]

Backups can be done at both the preset and bank level, plus exports to csv format files is supported. You can also send an entire bank file to the Axe, tell the editor to use the Axe as source, a bank as source or a preset folder (folder has individual patches saved to it) as the editors source.
Backups are real simple.
Click on the Settings, Backup and Sync.. menu item. you will get either Banks A/B or A/B/C shown (depending oin whether you have Std/Ultra) with check boxes on each to "sync" and a check box for create a backup. Click OK, and AxeEdit will sync all banks, and then create a backup of each bank in a folder under your user settings structure.

Actual location is OS specific, but on XP its:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Fractal Audio\Backups\unit_type"
On Win7 its:
"C:\users\user_name\Appdata\Roaming\Fractal Audio\backups\unit_type"

[note - doing from memory as I'm at not in front of Axe/AxeEdit right now]

Back
Top Bottom