• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Full Screen on Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

SASouth

Inspired
Those of us old farts with failing eyesight would truly appreciate the ability to have AxeEdit go full screen with the ability to make the text larger.

What say?

chris

Legend!
pressing the + button on the top right will make it as big as possible. if it went "full screen" there would just be black, blank bars on the right and left.

if you're asking for an additional new view that takes up that wider horizontal space, i'm not sure that would work out. there are so many parameters in each block, that having them "move around" as the screen size got wider or bigger would be a nightmare when trying to locate things. and they'd have to create a separate design. same deal with the text - if it could get bigger, knobs and things would have to move around so the text fits.

try the + sign on the top right - it will get as big as your current screen.

SASouth

Inspired
pressing the + button on the top right will make it as big as possible. if it went "full screen" there would just be black, blank bars on the right and left.

if you're asking for an additional new view that takes up that wider horizontal space, i'm not sure that would work out. there are so many parameters in each block, that having them "move around" as the screen size got wider or bigger would be a nightmare when trying to locate things. and they'd have to create a separate design. same deal with the text - if it could get bigger, knobs and things would have to move around so the text fits.

try the + sign on the top right - it will get as big as your current screen.

Actually it doesn't. This screen shot is from my MacBook Air running Mojave Public Beta 4. This as big as it gets using the + sign.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.18.48 PM.png

h.c.e.

Power User
Bug in Mojave Public Beta perhaps? I mean, looks like (at least from your screenshot there) it's limiting the zoom to the height of the screen minus the height of the Dock. If you turn on autohiding of the dock does that make a difference and let the zoom hit the bottom of the screen? On my Mac (running latest High Sierra), the + button works as Chris describes and it fills the window vertically from bottom of menu bar to bottom of screen.

Seems like you're only off by like the 100ish pix height of the dock there... you can click and drag from the lower left corner of the window and pull it to the bottom of the screen (it won't let you drag any further), and that's as big as it will ever get, as the + sign is really more of a "maximize to vertical real estate" zoom. The aspect ratio of the Axe-Edit III window is fixed (again, I'd assume for insuring the layout of knobs in the interface), so width of the window always scales the same amount for a given height and vice versa.

chris

Legend!
Actually it doesn't. This screen shot is from my MacBook Air running Mojave Public Beta 4. This as big as it gets using the + sign.

View attachment 48346
it's working correctly, because that's as big as your setup will allow. if you Hide the Dock, you'll get that bottom space and a bit more screen space. without hiding the dock, no app can use that bottom area since it's reserved for the dock. once it's hidden, just put your mouse to the bottom of the screen and it will pop up.

again, the + will not expand it to the left and right - it's a fixed width app so things stay in place.

SASouth

Inspired
Bug in Mojave Public Beta perhaps? I mean, looks like (at least from your screenshot there) it's limiting the zoom to the height of the screen minus the height of the Dock. If you turn on autohiding of the dock does that make a difference and let the zoom hit the bottom of the screen? On my Mac (running latest High Sierra), the + button works as Chris describes and it fills the window vertically from bottom of menu bar to bottom of screen.

Seems like you're only off by like the 100ish pix height of the dock there... you can click and drag from the lower left corner of the window and pull it to the bottom of the screen (it won't let you drag any further), and that's as big as it will ever get, as the + sign is really more of a "maximize to vertical real estate" zoom. The aspect ratio of the Axe-Edit III window is fixed (again, I'd assume for insuring the layout of knobs in the interface), so width of the window always scales the same amount for a given height and vice versa.

Dragging the lower right corner (or left) won't make the III version of AxeEdit larger. Believe me that's the first thing I tried. It's stuck at that size. I've been a Mac user since 1988. I know how to resize a window.

AxeEdit 3.14.3 for the II XL+ does not exhibit the same behavior. Note the screen shot comparison.

AxeEdit 3.14.3: (I don't have my II hooked up right now which is why you don't see a preset. It doesn't look any different when it's attached)
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 5.37.16 PM.png

Compare this to Axe-Edit III. The first thing you'll notice is that the fonts are smaller and I can't make the screen any larger by dragging the window. It's as big as it gets.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.18.48 PM.png

chris

Legend!
Dragging the lower right corner (or left) won't make the III version of AxeEdit larger. Believe me that's the first thing I tried. It's stuck at that size. I've been a Mac user since 1988. I know how to resize a window.

AxeEdit 3.14.3 for the II XL+ does not exhibit the same behavior. Note the screen shot comparison.

AxeEdit 3.14.3: (I don't have my II hooked up right now which is why you don't see a preset. It doesn't look any different when it's attached)
View attachment 48348

Compare this to Axe-Edit III. The first thing you'll notice is that the fonts are smaller and I can't make the screen any larger by dragging the window. It's as big as it gets.

View attachment 48349
to me, axe-edit 3 is working correctly compared to the others, because apps shouldn't be able to go under/past the Dock if you have it always showing.

axe-edit 3 has much more information to show compared to the previous versions, so the text will be smaller due to more "sections" and things to show.

maybe they can do a redesign, but since it's in Public Beta and they are working to make it a release version, i don't see this happening for a long time, if at all.

SASouth

Inspired
Take it to Michael Pickens and see what he as to say.

Even with the dock as small as it can go it still does not get very much larger.

This is on a MacBook Air. The screen resolution is only 1440x900. Can you imagine what it would look like on a Retina display? The fonts are too small.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 5.57.30 PM.png

Last edited:

chris

Legend!
Even with the dock as small as it can go it still does not get very much larger.
yes. it only goes as large as your screen. full screen would be just about as large as your latest screenshot, since your screen is only so big.

it would need to be a complete redesign. so hopefully one day they can do that.

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
Take it to Michael Pickens and see what he as to say.

This is on a MacBook Air. The screen resolution is only 1440x900. Can you imagine what it would look like on a Retina display? The fonts are too small.

View attachment 48350

The dock is still visible. Set it to automatically show & hide.
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 3.20.47 PM.png

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
It can be any size, but the height-width ratio is fixed. It's like a movie.
Would you want black bars left and right? Maybe that could be arranged.

SASouth

Inspired
It can be any size, but the height-width ratio is fixed. It's like a movie.
Would you want black bars left and right? Maybe that could be arranged.

Thank you for the reply. This is the kind of dialog that I was looking for.

Black bars wouldn't bother me. The key thing to make it more usable for me would be to make the text to be a larger font. It's hard to read on a 13" laptop screen if you have old eyes like mine. The II version of Axe-Edit was fine as far as readability in comparision to the III version.

A possibility you might consider is if you accept the idea of black bars on the side would be a design change to create a sidebar similar to what you would find in the Finder where the preset and scene names could reside along with the Save button and scene selection buttons. This would allow for more vertical space for the grid and configuration areas and allow the horizontal width to be resized to be much wider and accommodate a larger font.

chris

Legend!
Thank you for the reply. This is the kind of dialog that I was looking for.

Black bars wouldn't bother me.
it's working correctly, because that's as big as your setup will allow. if you Hide the Dock, you'll get that bottom space and a bit more screen space. without hiding the dock, no app can use that bottom area since it's reserved for the dock. once it's hidden, just put your mouse to the bottom of the screen and it will pop up.

again, the + will not expand it to the left and right - it's a fixed width app so things stay in place.
I feel like I said the exact same things that Matt did.

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
I wouldn't want black bars on the side because they'd be covering up screen real estate that could be used for something else - tab/chord charts, your audio/video player, or part of your DAW for example. But a larger font could be helpful.

And you can always zoom in on a Mac using Command+Option+8...

spagthorpe

Experienced
It would be great if it was dynamic, but two things that help some with fixed sized apps. On my MBP, I can decrease the resolution, so it effectively makes everything bigger, if slightly fuzzy. The MBA is a tiny screen to me, so you are only going to do so much. The second would be to drive a large external monitor. Something like a 27" monitor is cheap these days, even more so on Craigslist. I bought a few year old Dell 27" Ultra IPS monitor for $60. It helps a lot since tend to be sitting back from the desk when playing, and can make adjustments with a Bluetooth mouse.

SASouth

Inspired
It would be great if it was dynamic, but two things that help some with fixed sized apps. On my MBP, I can decrease the resolution, so it effectively makes everything bigger, if slightly fuzzy. The MBA is a tiny screen to me, so you are only going to do so much. The second would be to drive a large external monitor. Something like a 27" monitor is cheap these days, even more so on Craigslist. I bought a few year old Dell 27" Ultra IPS monitor for $60. It helps a lot since tend to be sitting back from the desk when playing, and can make adjustments with a Bluetooth mouse.

Unfortunately, the place I have my equipment set up does not give me enough room for a large external monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom