Full Range Cab Build

The cab weighs about the same as a regular 1x12. Maybe a tiny bit more.
Ive had the chance to crank it in a few different venues up against some nice cabs including a powered CLR and I prefer mine (as you would expect me to say). Its just got more punch and more of that cab in the room vibe. The CLR was great don't get me wrong but its too clinical for me.

Ive now purchased Cab Lab and am getting pretty in depth mixing IRs and getting great results with this box. The only shortcoming is whilst its ripping loud with the Martix GT800FX, its only rated at 140w and cant quite keep up with a cranked 50w Valve amp and 4x12. I wouldn't expect it to, so Im not too disappointed but it got me thinking about bigger and better!

Ill finish the matching 1x10 cab as Ive got all the parts here and its half made already, but I just purchased a pair of Passive 12" Alto Elvis speakers that I will gut and turn into a 2x12 cab along the same lines as the 10" versions.
Once again they sound great as they are now so Im holding high hopes for a similar result in a properly constructed and ported box. It will be 2x12" drivers in their own separate ported enclosures within the one box and a single 1" compression driver.
There are a few benefits here, all the drivers are 8 ohm, so paralleling the two 12" drivers will give me a much better 4 ohm load to drive with the Matrix. Also gives me the two stock crossovers I can modify for the lower 4 ohm mid woofer drivers........I can try out two different circuits which will make tweaking and comparing a lot easier.

The single 10" box is more than enough for home use................2 will be amazing..........................but 2 sitting either side of a 2x12 in wet/dry/wet should be life altering. :lol

Have you ever considered an active design? I've been looking at this line of products: Plate Amplifiers | MiniDSP

Edit: They don't really have a plate model that slots in nicely for the typical 250W LF drivers used in FRFR which is what has been holding me back. They do have kit form though, where you could just supply your own amplifier.

Last edited:
Ive got two plate amps sitting here doing nothing but I like the matrix. Plus It keeps the weight of the cabs down.

Back
Top Bottom