Full Range Cab Build

xbearxau

My last thread was singing the praises of my newly discovered Alto Elvis 10A powered wedge and while I love the sound, I hate the look. Carpeted wedges just aren't cool :lol
Ive managed to purchase the internals from a matching but broken wedge to complete my stereo pair and here is where I start the research.

Ive built many guitar cabs in the past so the construction and tolexing isn't a problem, but I wanted to get some opinions on the materials to use.
From everything Ive read, an FRFR speaker box should be stiff and dead sounding in its construction. Meaning no resonance within the box and every panel well braced. Unlike a guitar cab where you want to hear the box as part of your tuned guitar sound in conjunction with the speakers.

Pretty much all reading points to MDF as the preferred material to use. The Alto boxes are just chip board but very well braced and solid, so I cant see MDF sounding worse.
I must admit I love working with MDF as it cuts, drills and glues up so easily. The dust isn't a concern so unless someone else can convince me that its not a good idea, Ill make a start!

Ply was my other option, and while a Birch ply would be my go to material for a regular guitar cab, I don't see the lack of density being of benefit here. Plus the internal bracing to get the box as rigid as MDF is also putting me off using it.
Weight is not really a concern either as the cabs are basically oversized 1x12s in their size and will be very manageable with small format quad box handles on either side.

Im aiming to keep the internal volume close to the wedges, but slightly bigger. I can always remove volume with high density foam inside, but I cant increase it if I make it too small. Plus I like the idea of playing around with internal volume to try and tune the cabs once built.

Ill post pics as I go and hopefully end up with a couple of cabs that wont look out of place next to my old Marshall quad box.

Thoughts and ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Ive gotten both cabs cut from 16mm mdf and partially assembled.
Boxes were biscuit joined and screwed, then once the glue was dry the screws were removed and drilled out for 6mm dowels. These boxes are never coming apart!

Internal battons have been glued and screw to take the speaker baffle and the rear panel and bracing cut to stiffen the outer walls.

Cab dimensions are 500mm wide x 400mm tall x 320mm deep.

+1 on progress pics. This is something I have thought about but have parked it due to the complexity of the interior design for maximum reference benefit.

Ill post some pics tomorrow.
Really looking forward to hearing these cabs and tuning them. Theyre coming along nicely.

Last edited:
20150421_193953_zpsh17srv7p.jpg

Its a really nice compact size, although quite a bit bigger than the original Alto box. Ive made the routing templates so each one will go quite smoothly from here. Both speaker cutouts, the side handles and the poweramps for the rear panels all have templates to make sure both cabs come out identical.
Ive gone back to the original idea of having the cabs powered because the amps have a 3 band eq built in that is super handy for quite tuning depending on the room im in. Also they happen to sound fantastic with this speaker combo.

There is a lot more internal bracing to do before the front baffle gets made and fitted, then its rounding over all the edges with a 1/2" roundover bit and onto tolex.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Im thinking of getting some metal grills made for these cabs instead of cloth. Something along the line of the CLR style. Ive got a contact that can turret punch any perforated pattern I want and bend up the edges. Then black satin powdercoat to finish off.
Might look cooler than regular old grill cloth.

Very interested on how this turns out sound wise. Ever since I saw the Freidman FRFR cab I've wondered if I could just throw the internals from my EV ZLX powered cab into a regular looking box.

20150422_201554_zpsrmqqxgpp.jpg

20150422_201659_zpsugexmjjl.jpg

Rounded over the edges of the box and got one cab tolexed. Im happy with how the covering went................ive got a love hate relationship with tolex. When it goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong! Corners are the worst part but these came out perfectly.

Just drawn up the dimensions for the metal grills which Ill submit tomorrow for manufacturing. It'll take a couple of weeks to get them done so that gives me plenty of time to finish the rest of the boxes.

The second set of parts I bought had a damaged amplifier so that also needs fixing. Turns out its got a blown Toroidal transformer, a replacement for which I ordered last week.
Also hoping to get the baffle and rear panel done this weekend so I can fire it up and see how she sounds before I get too involved making the second one.

Cant wait!

20150425_135449_zpshy0intkf.jpg

pic%201_zpso1jwpw9n.jpg

Need some input. Im making the speaker baffle and I want some input on the placement of the drivers. Any thoughts on if each box should be a mirror image of the other or if having the hf driver on the right of each box will make any real difference?
Got one baffle done just cant decide how to make the second one.

Last edited:
299d4961-5941-430a-be1a-e9bb6c42796d_zpsay3h10vx.jpg

Terrible lighting with the flash but heres just a quick shot of the grill fresh back from manufacture.......its just sitting there, Ill get the baffle finished and painted black this weekend.
I wanted the holes much closer together so there was a little loss of communication but overall they look fine. 1.2mm steel is very tough, I reckon this could take a massive blow to the grill and still protect the drivers.

I managed to get one of the cabs finished and loaded with the drivers.
Im really impressed with the sound. I loved the alto before I made my cab but now in comparison it sounds a touch stuffy in the bottom end. My cab has a much more open lower mid punch that I think is due to the extra cab volume and proper porting. I had to tweak the port length as I had a weird resonant peak going on but its now smooth as a babies behind.
Ive managed to dial in all my favourite tones in a matter of minutes with no radical eq'ing from the stock amp settings so it seems pretty flat in response. Now I just have to build the second one.

Back
Top Bottom