Full Circle Axe-FX Experience

Chris Hurley

Power User
Longtime Fractal user- Axe-FX Ultra, II, IIxl+, III. I used to build tube amps and discovered that the Axe-FX Ultra sounded as good as or better than my tube amps into a guitar cab. Finally, I made the jump to running FR and have been enjoying that for a few years.

I kept a couple of tube amps and pull them out from time to time- mostly not for long. I still had a couple of MTS preamps which I run into a Fractal plexi or the tube preamp model and enjoy that along with the full Fractal models.

Lately, I've been going down the Synergy/MTS rabbithole in earnest. I've really been digging my MTS rig using the SYN-1, Camerock or GTO/Judge modules and the Fryette PowerStation 2 multitool into my favorite 1x12 cabinet. It rocks. I've been hunting reverb and ebay for more modules. Full-on gear re-acquisition syndrome has set in. Its almost like a fire to play guitar has been reignited by the tube amp experience.

Having been playing for hours and hours over the last couple of weeks with my tube rig and loving it, I finally decided to feed an output of my Axe-FX III into the Power Station and give that a try.

Full circle.

All that joy of playing the tube amp rig is there in the Axe-FX III. It sounds as good or better than my tube stuff, just like it always have but of course the Axe III is on steroids. The Axe-FX III is like a loaded-down tube amp into a reactive load feeding the Fryette. Sounds fantastical.

Now instead of more MTS preamps, I'm ready to let an FM3 handle those duties.

While I love my Power Station, the difference between it and a Seymour Duncan PS-170 (smaller and lighter) is not that big. Just for your consideration.

Back
Top Bottom