Full Backup: What exactly is the "Bottle Neck"?

Liquid22

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I'm sitting in front of my Axe and I'm waiting until my FracBot finishes the backup.

I was wondering what exactly would be the reason that a full backup on the III takes significant longer than on the II.
First I thought it's the USB connection and the amount of data (and if USB3.0 would be better here) but if I look at the size of the file of a finished backup there a just a few MBs.
The next thing that comes in my mind would be one or all of the 4 CPUs, but aren't they the most powerfull once on the market?

So it's not just data copy&past, that's clear. Because then even the huge amount of CABs in the III allone wouldn't be a problem, I assume.
Is it maybe the compressing of data? Could there then be a do NOT compress checkbox and get a quicker Backup?

Okay just to clear things up. I have no problem to wait 15 Minutes for a full Backup ( more precise: there are way bigger problems in the world, so I convince myselfe to not have a problem with that). :tonguewink: I take it as a lesson for good old patience.

Anyway, just to know it and accept it better: What is it exactly that you can name the Bottle Neck of Axe-Backup?

Cheers
Liquid77

Presets are 4 to 5 times larger, and i think (may be wrong) that it still uses USB2, and that its data throughput is roughly the same as AxeFx II's...

I'll pile up on the speculation and blame MIDI instead. It's not a fast protocol, even if running over USB makes it way faster.
Taking your backup over MIDI cables will probably take an hour or even more.

If you select an empty preset before a full backup it’s a lot faster

Wow !!! 9 Minutes instead 21 Minutes !!!!!! o_O :eek:
I measured and compared it.

On a Preset (uses 74% CPU -donwt know if that's important) --> full backup: 21 Minutes
On a <Empty> Preset --> full backup: 9 Minutes

Thanks for the Tip 👍

I'll pile up on the speculation and blame MIDI instead. It's not a fast protocol, even if running over USB makes it way faster.
Taking your backup over MIDI cables will probably take an hour or even more.

Think you might be right. I noticed the MIDI-LED flashing while the backup runs (if that says anything). So the Axe and the FC only comunicate in Midi? I thought there is another, faster way since FASLINK II.

Back
Top Bottom